Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

hemi dodge ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE: "Chevy gets there factory power ratings from the output shaft of the trans. The 5.3 is rated at 285hp, which is from the output of the trans. Most stock 5.3s dyno high 240s to low 250s at the wheels.

Dodge i believe (correct me if im wrong on this) measures power from the flywheel. The 5.7 Hemi is rated at 345hp at the flywheel. Most stock Hemis dyno low 250s at the wheels." END QUOTE

I don't think that this is true about where GM gives power outputs. I think SAE standardized all the vehicles so that reporting of specs can be compared to each other. I could be wrong though.

Keep in mind, the biggest problem with Dynoing a Hemi is that they run into the 3rd gear speed limiter which shuts them down around 4500 rpms which accounts for low hp numbers. A 2nd gear pull will not reflect the true hp numbers either. Also, only recently, have the Hemi owners realized that DC has a 150 hour break in period on the motors in which the PCM runs a different program that limits power until that break in period is over, then in which it switches to a new program. Lot's of dynos were done when the truck first came out and they didn't know this and wondered why the hp numbers were so low. I went a 15.65 when I first got my truck, and now with over 500 hours, with same mods (which is only a Homemade CAI) I went 15.18. My gas mileage also improved by about 1.5.

I have a sneaky suspicion the 5.3 is a tad underrated too...
Old 03-30-2004, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
No hard feelings, i was just picking. I wasnt trying to make anyone mad.

The info for the chevy power rating is correct i know, but i really dont know about the dodge. Im just assuming they measure there power at the flywheel. If someone knows for sure how they do it, please jump in and let me know.

This is just my theory of why a stock RCSB 5.3 VS. RCSB Hemi, the 1/4 times and dynos are very close. It sounds reasonable.
I agree, the truck are very close in performance considering what should be a power advantage to the Ram with a Hemi. What I don't know is if larger wheels and tires affect a dyno run? Do they? Since 20's do slow truck down ( alot of threads from guy complaining about it once they installed 20's) because of the wieght and size, does it also affect a dyno run? I know the 20's on my Ram are aluminum but I've been told they are still heavy and put a 33" tall tire (275/60R20) on them like DC did doesn't help. Those damn things are hard to turn! Also, the 4L60E has a low (3.06) first gear which helps it get off the line well, does anyone know the gears ratio's in a Dodge tranny? My Silverado weighed 4810 lbs when I weighed it at the track, my Ram it suppose to weigh about 5100-5200 lbs but I haven't weighed it yet. Although I can spin the tires off the line, my Ram is kind of a dog from a dead stop. Once it get's moving, it goes pretty well, the tranny shifts REALLY hold it back though. When it shifts from 1-2, you can feel the TM taking over, I feel myself almost lunged forward and then get pushed back in my seat on the shifts, that's not good. What I would like to see is the trucks set up the exact same and then run them, same tires, wheels, overall gear ratios, etc.. Right now comparing my Ram to my Silverado because of the differences is like comparing apples to oranges.
Jim
Old 03-30-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also gotta chime in as a former Chevy and current Hemi owner. Gas mileage is bad, low to no aftermarket performance support, and warped rotors on the Dodge.
Now, when the lights turn green there is nothing short of a blower or major aftermarket upgrades that will stay with the Hemi. I have so many kills with the Hemi vs other brands there is absolutely no question about it. The track and butt dyno both tell the same story, stock to stock nothing short of the Lightning or Harley model will come close. I have a 4x2 QC SB, 20's, running adjusted times of 15.45, 88mph. Mods are Volant intake, resistor on IATS, and torque management removed.
Now again, I loved and still love my 99 4.8 ECSB. BUUUT, I have no regrets on the Hemi ( short of the lack of respect from aftermarket ) at all.
The reason for the lack of performance parts is that Dodge will not cough up their engine codes. So far Hypertech, Superchips, Kenne Bell, and others cannot break the codes. Any piggyback or inline adjustments are overwritten after a couple of hours of engine operation. Hard to believe in a world where I have to download virus and worm cleaners every other day that no one can break the Hemi computer codes.
Ok, my 2 cents. Please do not take this as a dis or start flaming out, we are all truck lovers at heart!
Old 03-30-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Y2K, the 20" rims can have an effect on the dyno. Its more rotating mass usually. Most likely the 20s that come on the Rams are cast, not forged. That would make them considerably lighter that aftermarket 20s, so the dyno's may not be that far off from the 17s. I would guess 3-4rwhp diff in the two, though i could be wrong.

TheOtherDodge, do you know the weight of your truck by any chance?
Old 03-30-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ktmrider
I also gotta chime in as a former Chevy and current Hemi owner. Gas mileage is bad, low to no aftermarket performance support, and warped rotors on the Dodge.
Now, when the lights turn green there is nothing short of a blower or major aftermarket upgrades that will stay with the Hemi. I have so many kills with the Hemi vs other brands there is absolutely no question about it. The track and butt dyno both tell the same story, stock to stock nothing short of the Lightning or Harley model will come close. I have a 4x2 QC SB, 20's, running adjusted times of 15.45, 88mph. Mods are Volant intake, resistor on IATS, and torque management removed.
Now again, I loved and still love my 99 4.8 ECSB. BUUUT, I have no regrets on the Hemi ( short of the lack of respect from aftermarket ) at all.
The reason for the lack of performance parts is that Dodge will not cough up their engine codes. So far Hypertech, Superchips, Kenne Bell, and others cannot break the codes. Any piggyback or inline adjustments are overwritten after a couple of hours of engine operation. Hard to believe in a world where I have to download virus and worm cleaners every other day that no one can break the Hemi computer codes.
Ok, my 2 cents. Please do not take this as a dis or start flaming out, we are all truck lovers at heart!
15.45 adjusted? What was it before any adjustment? If im correct you have a couple mods. An ECSB Chevy/GMC with Volent intake, IATS mod, and TQ management removed would be right with you. You MAY still beat it on top, but i dont think by much, if any.

Both trucks have awsome engines. Both the LS1 and Hemi are higher reving engines than other truck engines. Both have awsome power stock compared to prior gen engines.

I dont think the Hemi is more powerful than the 5.3, and i dont think the 5.3 is more powerful than the Hemi. I think from stock to limmited mods, to dynos, to 1/4 times they are too close to call best. Some Hemis will beat stock 5.3s. Some 5.3s will beat Hemis.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, adjusted for altitude. We are at 5000ft+ out here. Actual runs are 16.4's, less 1 second to match sea level values. FYI, this is for NA engines as turbos and blowers overcome the lack of air pressure and oxygen.
Snake, my old truck had these mods and more. My father has a new 04 Furd and and older 97 5.4L. The Volant on the Hemi does not improve much on power since Dodge does not use a MAF or monitor incoming air. The TM and IATC help throttle response and 1-2 gear shifts. Again, not trying to stir things up but I have yet to find a local 5.3L that was close. I even know a local Chevy dealer personally and have tried out numerous vehicles, none of them ( stock ) come close to the Hemi. I even talked them into a test ride in mine, they came back very impressed.
That said, I am in the process of building a 5.3 up with a bore to 5.7L slug sizes and a stroker kit ( my brother bought my Chevy and I was starting this motor when I found the Hemi ). Should be around 400hp to the wheels and slap me silly next time we line up. Gosh I hope Kenne Bell gets going on the SC Hemi kit some day!
Last, another hemi owner weighed the stock wheels recently. The 20's and stock tires came in at 81lbs, the 17's and stock tires were 64lbs, and the 17's with small drag tires were 48lbs. He cut almost 0.7 off his 1/4 times with the 17/drag tire combo to finish at adjusted 14.02 slip. He has headers, intake, and exhaust in reg cab SB.
The tire moral is that cast wheels are cheap to make for mass production. Forged wheels are way lighter and stronger but cost big bucks. Like the old saying goes "Fast, good, cheap - pick two".
Old 03-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Oh man are the 20's heavy! When I went to rotate them, I decided that was my workout for the day!

My truck weighs 5200 with me (160), spare and tailgate.

I did have the warped rotor issues, got it fixed, but 3 months later now, and I have it again...

Gas mileage is not the greatest. I know my Chevy buddies all getting better, but I get about 16.4 ave 74 mph.

And lastely, the speed density really blows!!!!! Hopefully, a new programmer will improve this truck greatly!
Old 03-30-2004, 04:22 PM
14 Second Truck Club

wow... a vortec vs. HEMI thread that actually turned somewhat informative... i thought id never live to see it...
Old 03-30-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
This is just my theory of why a stock RCSB 5.3 VS. RCSB Hemi, the 1/4 times and dynos are very close. It sounds reasonable.
1/4mile times are very close but not dyno #'s.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also gotta commend everyone for the "friendly" comments! The Dodge websites are not so accomodating.
In the end, we are AUTOMOBILE lovers at heart, whether we tow, drink sake, slam rockers, or dream. Keep on modding and posting!
PS, I have seen a Duramax run 14's here at altitude. Needless to say, it was not stock but did not require much more than a computer mod and intake. Awesome so see except when you are eating diesel fumes.

Quick Reply: hemi dodge ram