Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

high pitch squeeling and whining even at idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high pitch squeeling and whining even at idle

This started tonight when I was one my way home playing. Im thinking it may just be the belt slipping on one of the pulleys or maybe they arent aligned correctly?? This probably isnt anything more serious is it? Is it not a good idea to floor it so soon after cam and spring swap? It almost sounded like a brake squeel but was coming from the passenger side area. Its pretty loud. Any ideas? Im a little un nerved.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Truck addict

hmmm, it could be a brake. did you lower the pass window to see if you could hear it louder on that side
Old 02-17-2005, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

I just had my lower AC pulley and belt replaced under warranty for the same problem.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:59 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a little coolant got on one of the pullies or belts? Or possibly one of the pullies is on it's way out. My upper tensioner squeaked when it went bad, and the ac tensioner sounded like a jackhammer right before I changed it. The ac tensioner actually started making noise not to long after my cam swap. I installed new belts when I did the cam, and figure that the extra tension from the newer belt was the last nail in the ac tensioner's coffin.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Maybe a little coolant got on one of the pullies or belts? Or possibly one of the pullies is on it's way out. My upper tensioner squeaked when it went bad, and the ac tensioner sounded like a jackhammer right before I changed it. The ac tensioner actually started making noise not to long after my cam swap. I installed new belts when I did the cam, and figure that the extra tension from the newer belt was the last nail in the ac tensioner's coffin.
I installed a new AC belt as well. It just started tonight, before that all was good. Is this something I can adjust or redo or do I need to get new tensioners now. Any good ideas as to find out which tensioner is the prob? What do the tensioners usually run? I get parts for cost plus 10%.
Thanks
It also looked like the serpentine tensioner was shaking a bit when I had it running. Does anyone have a P/N for that one.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:36 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

If it's bad, the tensioner can't be adjusted, has to be replaced. I had my top tensioner replaced a few years ago under warranty, so I don't know what that part costs, but the part number was 12555609 as of 2/21/01
The ac belt tensioner listed for lists for $45.45, and I got it for $34 with my discount. Part # 12580196 It was a piece of cake to replace...about 5 minutes.

I found the noise with a stethoscope, but a long screwdriver or pry bar will do. You just have to be careful not to get whailed by the belt, as that could be very bad. With the handle end of the prybar to your ear, you put the other end against a non-moving part of the tensioner, and if it's the culprit, the noise will be multiplied through the pry-bar to your ear.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Is this going to hurt anything if I cant get to it for a few weeks??
Old 02-18-2005, 12:20 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Is this going to hurt anything if I cant get to it for a few weeks??
Doubt it...theoretically it could sieze and throw the belt if it's worn enough, but more than likely it'll just be more annoying than anything.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

I replaced the A/C tensioner and that isnt it. I got a little frustrated so I sprayed WD40 all over the serpentine belt and the squeeling went away for a minute.
Also when I first got over to my buddy's house there was no squeel at all. We even took it for a drive and no squeel. I laid into it one time and the squeeling returned in all of its magnificent glory. My Serpentine belt is brand new and didnt make this noise before the cam install. Should I try some of that belt dressing crap or is it useless as some say??
Old 02-24-2005, 07:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Have you listened to your supercharger idlers? Maybe theres a bad bearing.

Quick Reply: high pitch squeeling and whining even at idle