Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Home engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Not if you're patient...I've had 5 different engines in my truck and did all but 1 of them solo, including one solo operation pulling the engine/trans/t-case all as one piece.
ive done all of mine in my truck by myself..

except for this one..

Old 09-21-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Not if you're patient...I've had 5 different engines in my truck and did all but 1 of them solo, including one solo operation pulling the engine/trans/t-case all as one piece.
I commend you. But I still don't recommend doing it solo. At least 1 other person to guide the engine while the hoist is being slowly lowered is very helpful.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I commend you. But I still don't recommend doing it solo. At least 1 other person to guide the engine while the hoist is being slowly lowered is very helpful.
+1 it's true
Old 09-21-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Hmmm, if you weren't so far away i could help ya... I got the huge Harbor Frieght engine hoist and alot of tools...
dont make me drive down there! lol.

So it sounds like it possible. I think I have one friend that will come if he can. Its so nice just having someone to hand you tools
Old 09-21-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
if your chains are right and not twisting the motor. just lower it very slowly inch at a time and one person can do it fine.. ive pulled 3 out by my self in my truck and several in my race cars by my self..
Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm, when do you plan on doing this? Me and Mike did mine in his garage with simple tools. It would be alot easier with another person helping you. Maybe the truck will be painted, and I could head down there if I don't have anything going on.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Im really not sure. I havan e empty bedroom with an air matress and a couch. Maybe I could talk you into if we plan it around a good race weekend at the drag strip down here. I know what extra tools I need to drop the tranny, and I figure I will have all the ones needed for the motor.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know where your coming from, its nice to have the extra hands but like other guys have said, if your patient, and have some good know-how its cake.

just pull trans and motor seperately

you will need a complete set of metric sockets and wrenches, hoist, trans jack makes it easy. and time. Its really not hard at all, it was nice to have more people with mine so we can get multiple things done at once and have someone show me how to do the things I didnt have experience with. good luck, you wont be disappointed once its tuned
Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I stabbed a motor in the yard with a handful of sockets with it hanging from the front end loader of a tractor... It can be done just about however, you don't NEED an engine hoist

That being said, Ill never swap one again unless I'm at my shop, with air tools, lifts, hoists... It just makes it too easy, and FWIW, I did it with the trans in. No need to pull it really, just support it when the motor comes out.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

well i figure if i have to undo all the bellhousing bolts, and the crossmember, its practily out anyway.
I dont have a hoist or any mean of moving it around right now. Im hoping at the end of october. lol sounds like a long ways but im stupid busy.

Quick Reply: Home engine swap.