Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

hotrod pump gas drags

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO IT AND REPRESENT THE TRUCK CROWD!!!!

Also Parish if you go do it you could meet my buddies friend, he will be in it again. He drove the 69 vette white with blue strips, he would have won this past year but his MSD ignition box went out while on the cruise and he got DQ becasue he couldnt finish the cruise. He ran 3 9.17's on pump gas, hes name is Steve Hoch (spelling) from Tolono Illinois (Hes the guy that builds some awesome 4L60e trans) From what I heard from both of them most are going to be running 8's this year. I also heard they are not giving as much gas to race on (I think 10 gallons instead of 15) so fuel economy also has to be taken into consideration. Steve is also going to be in the 8's as well. So good luck I hope you do it and represent.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:45 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyer
That being said, drive it in there on stock tires and stock exhaust and whip some ***. You've prolly got a good hand on the field as it sits.
last year the top 9 were in the 9's. on pump gas i would be real happy to get a 10.5 so there is really no way i will even come close to wining but it would be fun, i would be happy with a 25th place finish out of 50.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Damn ... I didn't realize they were that strong.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive also got the mag from last year and there was alot of cars that had potential but didnt run that good of times. There was a Magnacharged Vette and nitrous equipped Viper that ran mid 10's-11's. The winner last year said hes gonna run 8's as well and there a guy in the Chicago area talking **** how he runs mid 8's on pump gas and driven weekly on the street (Were thinking hes just trying to scare the comp though). I also heard that the forced induction guys are also going to run good this year to, one condenter that blew the hole in the top of his piston last year was running some very good times. If you got the mag look at some of the times that the competition give out some claim that there cars run almost 1 second faster than the times that they ran at the track (I think the Viper guy said he ran a 9.8 or so and he ran mid 10's and a 11 ( I think its been long ago). I think its all being accepted in a magazine shootout driving a truck. You need to make 1100 rwhp and running the bottle to win though.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wonder if Harlan would have any desire to run in this.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is Harlen the fastest F Body on this board. BTW I was talking to my buddy about Harlens car and he was very impressed by it. How many cubes is his motor?
Old 01-30-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've seen videos ... and it's pretty damn quick. I dunno about the fastest though. If I remember right I saw an 8.82 on a stock crankshaft.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Correction ... 8.88.

I *think* that was a stock crank, not to sure.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Flyer
Correction ... 8.88.

I *think* that was a stock crank, not to sure.
I heard that he went in the 7's a week ago or so, although Im not sure if that was on a stock crank. I was at the Bradenton Motor Speedway today and saw the Ohio Boys out there. It was awesome. Ive never heard a car sound so good. I dont think they did much better than the 8.3 before they were out.
BTW there was some backfiring on the last run so they definately have more in the car... too bad, I was hoping they would do something amazing.
I wanted to go shoot the ****, but they seemed a little more interested in my girl, so I didnt want them to think I was coming over with bad intentions so I smiled and continued walking.
I would definately do it. That would be so awesome to be out there in a truck!

Oh, one of the fastest vehicles out there was a twin turbo S10. Man that thing was sick. He had to peddle it down the track everytime and still ran in the low 6's!!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:43 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that was Ronnie Duke's car that went 7's.

Jim, I'd say go for it. You're going to need a cage, and if you go 9.99 or quicker you need a certified cage at that. And a liscence.

Pick up an NHRA rulebook and get everything that you'll need safetywise.

Quick Reply: hotrod pump gas drags