Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

hotrod pump gas drags

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 12:00 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onequick5.3
I know my buddies freind has been tuning his car all year long and changing his setup just to run and make the most power on 93 octane. I know how much power he makes NA without nitrous, but I cant say what it is. ITS ALOT.
it would be nice to pick up a couple of barrles of the 93 they are using so i could optimize my tune with it.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually after the Hot Rod drags this last year Steve wrecked his car at a track. The conditions were just right, he was hooking really well so he just kept uping the preasure on his bottle. He got mid way down the track and broke his rear axles. The drivetrain place couldnt believe it becasue they were suppose to be some of the strongest on the market (Ill get details on what size they were). He had to have his rear 1/4 panel replaced. He got lucky though. By buddys car is actually going to be faster than Steves car his coming year, but he doesnt want all the publicity.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:25 PM
single digit dreamer

ok, i sent in my app. it says we will know by feb 28th. i bet they get thousands of aplications so who knows.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I say do the cage and DR's. There isn't much stuff more intimidating than a vehicle that needs 4 dr's instead of 2 to hook up
Old 01-31-2005, 12:54 PM
single digit dreamer

i dont think i will have the cash for the DR's by then and dr's are likly to put me over the edge and start breaking parts . i have a few plans though.

speed based boost
caltracs
free up some exhaust back presure
roll bar and all safety equipment required

and if they accept me i will need a fuel cell since the twin pump set up doesn't work well on low fuel situations. . last year it was 15 gallons and i would have been fine but at 12 gallons i am not so sure, i would hate to suck air at wot. maybe some type of acumilator would be the way to go.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

glad you decided to apply. now get craking on the safety stuff. im sure the time will fly. hope you get in. i might just have to take a trip down there.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

how do you plan on running the exhaust if you get accepted. "Required street-legal equipment: working headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, and horn. Safety-glass windshield. Mufflers required; exhaust system must extend to within no greater than 6 inches in front of the leading edge of the rear tires. All exhaust gases released from the engine must pass through mufflers at all times. Cars may not be uncorked in any way during competition. " wont running mufflers hurt you pretty bad? on a side note, i think youd have a blast doing it, and you would gain the truck community some deserving respect. and i dont think a 10 gallon cell will be bad, fuel slosh is controlled in those things. if thats what you meant.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Jim, i was looking threw my old truckin magazines and i found a NBS reg cab with a roll cage. its in the september of 2003 issue,page 62 titled "Bulletproof". its a procharged 6.0 who runs mid tens..just thought i would share.
Dan
Old 01-31-2005, 11:05 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by hink9
how do you plan on running the exhaust if you get accepted. "Required street-legal equipment: working headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, and horn. Safety-glass windshield. Mufflers required; exhaust system must extend to within no greater than 6 inches in front of the leading edge of the rear tires. All exhaust gases released from the engine must pass through mufflers at all times. Cars may not be uncorked in any way during competition. " wont running mufflers hurt you pretty bad? on a side note, i think youd have a blast doing it, and you would gain the truck community some deserving respect. and i dont think a 10 gallon cell will be bad, fuel slosh is controlled in those things. if thats what you meant.
sam at cmotorsports is seting me up with a 3.5" downpipe and to be honest i HATE my electric cut out. it leaks and it leaks and it leaks. here is my plan on exhaust.

the new down pipe is going to have a 3.5" vband clamp instead of a 3 bolt flange. i am just going to run off of that with 3.5" tubing all the way to the rear and use some kind of super free flowing muffler like an ultra flow or sam sugested a burns muffler but there isn't much to one of those. if it is way too loud and it may be i will put in another v band clamp near the muffler and have an entire muffler that i can swap out fast and easy. not as cool as a cut out but god i hate exhaust leaks. my truck sounds way better with the cut out open than with it 95% closed.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:08 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Fullthrottledan1
Jim, i was looking threw my old truckin magazines and i found a NBS reg cab with a roll cage. its in the september of 2003 issue,page 62 titled "Bulletproof". its a procharged 6.0 who runs mid tens..just thought i would share.
Dan

does the article say he actualy runs 10's or he should run 10's?

i have a couple of places to set me up with a roll bar, it is just a matter of doing it and paying for it. some pic's of that set up would be cool.

Quick Reply: hotrod pump gas drags