Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

hotrod pump gas drags

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should go ahead and do it, I've been considering it also.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:55 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parish8
does the article say he actualy runs 10's or he should run 10's?

i have a couple of places to set me up with a roll bar, it is just a matter of doing it and paying for it. some pic's of that set up would be cool.
I remember that article...the guy was actually a member here if I'm not mistaken. The article said that it SHOULD be good for mid tens, but he didn't have any timeslips to back it up. Also, that cage isn't NHRA legal. You're going to have to have bars coming out of the cab to tie in the rear section of the frame w/ the roll cage. Kinda kills the sleeper factor.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scream
I remember that article...the guy was actually a member here if I'm not mistaken. The article said that it SHOULD be good for mid tens, but he didn't have any timeslips to back it up. Also, that cage isn't NHRA legal. You're going to have to have bars coming out of the cab to tie in the rear section of the frame w/ the roll cage. Kinda kills the sleeper factor.
I recall that too. Wasn't that 408 Stepside? Black RC stepside with a 4 point cage from what I remember.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:38 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

I don't remember it being a 408...I thought it was a 6.0L, but I might be wrong. I'll try to find that article when I get home tonight and scan some pics.

What are the L guys doing for cages?
Old 02-01-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Scream
You're going to have to have bars coming out of the cab to tie in the rear section of the frame w/ the roll cage. Kinda kills the sleeper factor.
Unless it's hidden or obscured by one of those chromed dress-up "roll bars" in the bed.

Hot Rod guys: "Look at this guy with the redneck RCSB in the staging lanes... Hey, tow vehicle parking is over there..."
Old 02-01-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marc_w
Unless it's hidden or obscured by one of those chromed dress-up "roll bars" in the bed.

Hot Rod guys: "Look at this guy with the redneck RCSB in the staging lanes... Hey, tow vehicle parking is over there..."
I've thought of that idea too, but I think just adding a tonneu would be the way to conceal the inside of the bed.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:35 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Well, the only problem is that the back braces have to be <5" from the top of the roll bar:

from http://www.nhra.com/contacts/tech_faq.html

A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.99 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.99. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 ¾ inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 ¾ x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:

Just for *****-n-giggles, here's the req's for a 9.99 and quicker car:

from http://www.nhra.com/contacts/tech_faq.html

If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:

Old 02-01-2005, 10:45 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Harlan runs a 346 or 348cid.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way to go Jim! I dug out my HR copy of the 2004 PGD and think you will have a blast! HotRod mag, August 2004 if anyone wonders.
You are right on the relaxed cage restrictions, NHRA was turning too many people away and onto the street instead. 11.5 is already in your pocket, the sub 10 time does require the "certified" cage ( certed by NHRA specifically ). It does impede on a daily driver but with a breakaway drivers support life is not too bad. It also might clue others in on the power output and make it harder to keep your sleeper status.
Either way, thanks again for ponying up and being counted! I know it can't be cheap for either the trip or application. We appreciate you letting us live vicariously thru ya! Peace.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:48 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actualy the trip wont cost that much. aplication is free, if they accept me the event is free. the fuel is free. just have to pay for fuel to get there and a place to stay. i guess if i drive there the fuel to get there coul be quite a bit.

i bet there are lots of aplications. who knows if i will get in.

Quick Reply: hotrod pump gas drags