Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

How to disable a governor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:05 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewey
He's absolutely right, and trust me when I say, people won't give you anything for the time and money you put into it. My truck has almost 20k in customization alone, and it's only worth 12,000 bucks as it sits
lol maybe 10K:nunchuk1: ps we dont need any 17 yr old doing 120+ in a v6 that takes 31 seconds to get to 100

if you want top speed go buy a honda that will do 140 in 1:45 secs
Old 01-25-2011, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
if you want top speed go buy a honda that will do 140 in 1:45 secs
we really don't need any more ricers, just buy an old f-body
Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silverado4.3
Unfortunatly I dont have the financial ability to drop a new engine into it or buy a different truck due to the fact that Im 17 and in high school. So I have this truck to work with and I would like it to go a little faster.
i just graduated highschool in 2010 bro, and that didnt stop me. i got a job, worked full time as a hs student, (wasnt even in co-op.) i spent 4-5 grand to do a motor swap, but was forced to sell when i was arrested. i bought a used 5.3, took it to my local shop, and had them completely rebuild with all new parts and better parts, forged, heads, cam, all that fun stuff. take it from me man, save every penny, itll take awhile, then when you have 5-6 saved, you can go trade that truck in for something faster. yea i know it sucks having a v6, one its slow, and two all the **** you get for having it. dont worry about going fast right now, your in hs, your young and stupid, you will probally end up killin yourself with somethin fast.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by streetdraggr007
we really don't need any more ricers, just buy an old f-body
I think he meant a mosickle.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Unfortunatly I dont have the financial ability to drop a new engine into it or buy a different truck due to the fact that Im 17 and in high school. So I have this truck to work with and I would like it to go a little faster.
Autozone has all your "go fast" parts readily available.

Why must you got that fast? You are gunna kill yourself kid. Thus the reason for the govern in the first place.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:15 PM

well, Im not looking for top speed so not intersted in a ricer or even a car. I love having a truck cuz Im always hauling stuff and Im a bit of a redneck. Even got a big diamond plate toolbox in the bed. Dont realy want to make it go too much faster anyway. Its just annoying as hell when Im running fast and all of the sudden the governor kicks in and it feels like the engine just dropped out of the truck. Also I have a job coming up in a few weeks. Gonna be working in the maintnance Dept. at a chevy dealer so I will start making some money, dont know how much yet though.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:39 PM
makes children cry

Received 440 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by dmelvin
Get a tune, from one of the sponsors, they'll turn it off if you ask.

Also... how long does it take to get to 99mph with a 4.3?
forever & a day.
my 4.3 just laughed when i asked it to shoot for 100

best i ever saw with intake, catback & tune was 94

Originally Posted by Atomic
31 seconds? wow...i thought I was slow with 12 seconds
hey!! you shut your mouth!!

Originally Posted by viciousknid
your priorities are backwards. beef it up and THEN remove the govern. However if its a work truck I assume that means it is owned by the company you work for which means I'd not touch it without their permission.
Just not a good platform to start modding with. Personally I don't see why they still make a 4.3 when you can get more power and almost the same mileage out of a 5.3.
fixed. i'm doing better around town, but hwy is still 2-4 less

well, Im not looking for top speed so not intersted in a ricer or even a car. I love having a truck cuz Im always hauling stuff and Im a bit of a redneck. Even got a big diamond plate toolbox in the bed. Dont realy want to make it go too much faster anyway. Its just annoying as hell when Im running fast and all of the sudden the governor kicks in and it feels like the engine just dropped out of the truck. Also I have a job coming up in a few weeks. Gonna be working in the maintnance Dept. at a chevy dealer so I will start making some money, dont know how much yet though.
well that should make it much easier for you to save your money & do a v8 swap yourself you'll be glad you did
Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

I'm not knocking on ya but take care of that truck if it is your only ride. The governor is there to protect you from having a blow out of losing control. I work in EMS and seen some pretty nasty truck rollovers that usually no one walks away from. Save your dough and buy a 2nd vehicle or a better one. It will be worth it when you blow your motor and can still get back and forth to work.