Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

How does a ford beat a chevy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA

one more thing. lets not forget teh L is a total combination. the wide wheels, huge tires, hard hitting convertor, big tranny, big convertor, tuning, Bilistien shocks, sway bars, etc are all focused on speed. not general truck duty.

exactly, the Lightning is a complete built SVT vehicle.
GM has nothing like SVT to build on top of their vehicles
How many guys buy a silverado/sierra thinking they're going to make it haul *** vs how many guys buy a lightning with the same thoughts?

If I was seriously into the peformance of a truck I'd get a Lightning hands down because the fact that the truck comes fast off the lot and I dont have to worry about spending the extra money out of pocket vs paying it in with the monthly payments. Its more convenient that way, well at least for me it would be.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
yea, try towing with an L with say, 7-8K lbs. lol. it can do it, but it aint pretty! also here is another thought. the L can run 147 mph top speed. what do the GM trucks run top end?

one more thing. lets not forget teh L is a total combination. the wide wheels, huge tires, hard hitting convertor, big tranny, big convertor, tuning, Bilistien shocks, sway bars, etc are all focused on speed. not general truck duty.
That makes sense. I hope someone can post what top speed the GM trucks run. I have no idea what mine is topping out at now, I just know it's not very safe anymore. Someday, GM will get off their butts and build us a truck, and by build, I mean the whole truck, not just power adders that aren't tuned worth a damn. Until then, we just have to put up with the fact that we are way behind the performance market in "stock" form. But, hey, who on here stays stock for very long?
Old 11-02-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Wow, guys, what's going on here. Do y'all really think the Lightning is better than a Chevy, NO! Why, as I've talked about in another thread a friend of mine has an L, running 12-13PSI of boost, custom tunes (he's tried many combinations) M/T drag radials and an Exhaust. He has run a best of 13.17X. That's about 75F weather with little humidity. When it cools off a little more he will definitely get into high 12s. If we put a good ol' NBS truck with 13PSI we get low 12s hands down Look at F8L Z71 and he's extended cab 4x4! The reason the Joe Gibbs is slow because of 5PSI stock, bump that up and you'll have a performance truck. As far as trannys, yep the L has the 4r100, the tranny they use with the Powerstroke diesel (I guess you could compare that as having an Allison in our 1500s).
An L being faster than a NBS Chevy? No way!
Philip S.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:52 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BigBlockChev572
Wow, guys, what's going on here. Do y'all really think the Lightning is better than a Chevy, NO! Why, as I've talked about in another thread a friend of mine has an L, running 12-13PSI of boost, custom tunes (he's tried many combinations) M/T drag radials and an Exhaust. He has run a best of 13.17X. That's about 75F weather with little humidity. When it cools off a little more he will definitely get into high 12s. If we put a good ol' NBS truck with 13PSI we get low 12s hands down Look at F8L Z71 and he's extended cab 4x4! The reason the Joe Gibbs is slow because of 5PSI stock, bump that up and you'll have a performance truck. As far as trannys, yep the L has the 4r100, the tranny they use with the Powerstroke diesel (I guess you could compare that as having an Allison in our 1500s).
An L being faster than a NBS Chevy? No way!
Philip S.
Compare NLOC's fastest truck list to ours.

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=78736

This one brand is "better" than another is BS. Each brand has its good points and bad points.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Black Blown 02
Compare NLOC's fastest truck list to ours.

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=78736

This one brand is "better" than another is BS. Each brand has its good points and bad points.
Yes, they have a lot of 10 second trucks. However, look at the Mod legend. Most of ours guys achieving our 11 sec times are mostly a stock motor will a lot of boost/spray and bolt ons. If we went their route (the expensive one) and built up the motor, put some forced induction and spray, we would outrank them quick. Parish's 408 with stock heads and 18PSI will be in the 9s. I can guarantee that.
Philip S.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:20 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wouldn't they make more power because of the ohc.that has a lil to do with it.isn't the blower case more cubes then the radix
Old 11-02-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

woulda coulda shoulda. BBC572 - i think you are just trying to compare trucks and i think you are in the minority. here is another issue. nearly ALL the L owners want a fast performance truck. most of them will mod them and push them even harder than already pumped up stock. so that means b/w 4-6K trucks out there all ready to get hammered down the track. you wont find that many GM owners (or it may be hard) at one time to make their pickups fast. face it, a GM truck owner looking to make it a performance combo is rare in the overall picture.

also the stock L's convertor is a lower stall ( i think 1900 rpm) but it has a 2.0 stall to tq ratio (on an already big tq input!). combine a roots blower with a long stroke motor and you have tq. tq is what is needed to move these heavy combos. tq is something that many of the GM guys here are ignoring and result in slower combos.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mangledgmc03
wouldn't they make more power because of the ohc.that has a lil to do with it.isn't the blower case more cubes then the radix
radix IS an eaton M112. same thing as an L. OHC has nothign to do with it. btw, man it is so nice to have a conversation about these trucks without some retard saying "well if we had forged blower blah blah " and trying to compared apples to oranges. the more information you know about the "other side" the more you can learn from them and improve your own combination.

IMO, if more guys took a look at WHY the L guys are making a pretty good amount of power with the SAME blower and honestly a better engine (head, cam, intake) - and i mean the GM 5.3-6.0L motors are superior. then we would see improvements on the GM camp with the radix/eaton blower.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:49 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=gator's 99TA]yea, try towing with an L with say, 7-8K lbs. lol. it can do it, but it aint pretty!

What do you mean by this? I towed a lot with my L (6000 lbs on a 500 mile trip once, and almost 10,000 lbs on a 400 mile trip.) I was impressed with the towing. Right now a buddy of mine who is a used car dealer, has an '01 L as his personal vehicle. He has an '02 F 250 PSD on the lot and I have been with him on trips towing vehicles from the auction using both and the L gets my vote for towing, even over the diesel.

Anyways, I agree that the L is produced as a performance package and the Chebbie is a regular truck. GM is capable of building a competitive vehicle, they just dont want to for some reason. My truck is proof the GM truck can compete.......its all about how much $$$ it is worth to the individual to do so.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why doesnt SVT make high HP N/A motors?? Im not bashing the L in any way. Most of the people I knew that had one hated them and always had tranny problems. Why wont SVT build a motor to make power without the help of a blower? Can they do that?? I will admit though. At least Ford has a company devoted to making fast production trucks unlike GM.

Quick Reply: How does a ford beat a chevy?