Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

How many leafs from the spring pack.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowering a truck by taking out leaf springs isnt the way id go IMO. I would think it would throw off the suspension geometry and reduce your load limit by quite a bit. But if you arent carrying/towing anything then go for it. I had a friend take his out. One it rode like ****. Two it was uneven. Three i dont think it was safe. Id buy a set from company that makes lowering springs. But your truck and just my 2 cents.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gcooper
Lowering a truck by taking out leaf springs isnt the way id go IMO. I would think it would throw off the suspension geometry and reduce your load limit by quite a bit. But if you arent carrying/towing anything then go for it. I had a friend take his out. One it rode like ****. Two it was uneven. Three i dont think it was safe. Id buy a set from company that makes lowering springs. But your truck and just my 2 cents.
You have good points gcooper........I'm still not sure exactly what i'm gonna do but I'm leaning towards the 1/2 ton 2wd spring swap
Old 07-14-2004, 02:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Yelo
You have good points gcooper........I'm still not sure exactly what i'm gonna do but I'm leaning towards the 1/2 ton 2wd spring swap
Both the 1/2 ton spring or if you pull out a few springs from the packs in your truck are going to change the driveshaft angle, putting it more inline with the t-case and both are going to lower your towing limit. im just going to put a set of firestone bags on mine for when i tow my car to the track. Why spend the money if you can make what you have work. When i first did mine it rode like crap, but thats because my rear shocks were done and after lowering it the shocks only had a 1'' of compression left in them. I ended up putting a set of kyb's on it for a 2wd 1/2ton. they are about 2'' shorter than the stock shock on it. Its way beter now and im not getting beat driving it around.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

I'm still worried about axle wrap.......the 1/2 ton springs are going to have more leaves to accomplish the same truck height compared to the 3/4 ton springs (1/2 ton = 3-4 leaves, 3/4 ton = 2 leaves) which should help limit axle wrap until I can get the ladder bars installed. I called a local salvage yard and they will pretty much GIVE me a pair of them if I want them.....a local custom-shop said the same (apparantly no-one wants stock springs....how convenient)

I was also considering ordering the 3" drop leafs from Belltech.....but at $129 apiece they'd better be EXACTLY what I want
Old 07-14-2004, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

I'm still worried about axle wrap.......the 1/2 ton springs are going to have more leaves to accomplish the same truck height compared to the 3/4 ton springs (1/2 ton = 3-4 leaves, 3/4 ton = 2 leaves) which should help limit axle wrap until I can get the ladder bars installed. I called a local salvage yard and they will pretty much GIVE me a pair of them if I want them.....a local custom-shop said the same (apparantly no-one wants stock springs....how convenient)

I was also considering ordering the 3" drop leafs from Belltech.....but at $129 apiece they'd better be EXACTLY what I want
Until you put the ladder bars in it, the wrap is going to be bad. Are you going to lower the front of your truck anymore? If not you can just pull out the over load and the sec spring from the pack. Just from removing those and using a 2'' shackle it would sit level.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

The front-end id gonna come down about another 2"......and I've already got 2" shackles on the truck........
Old 07-14-2004, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

The front-end id gonna come down about another 2"......and I've already got 2" shackles on the truck........
if your going to be lowering the front down another 2'', i dont think the 1/2ton springs will drop the back enough to be level with the front.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

I may end up having to go air-bags/4-link to get the height that I want in the rear......the front isn't that much of a problem at all (suprisingly), I was curious about a 4" drop shackle as well.....although I'm not sure anyone makes such a creature

I have considered a rear-flip as well.....but I'm not sure if that would be too much of a drop (6" is the flip-kit)
Old 07-14-2004, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Yelo]I may end up having to go air-bags/4-link to get the height that I want in the rear......the front isn't that much of a problem at all (suprisingly), I was curious about a 4" drop shackle as well.....although I'm not sure anyone makes such a creature

I have considered a rear-flip as well.....but I'm not sure if that would be too much of a drop (6" is the flip-kit)[/QUOT

I think chassistech makes a set of 3''-5'' shackles. If you do that flip kit your going to need to notch the frame.