Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

How many times you get asked if you gotta Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the freaking time........Then they always tell me they have a cousin, brother, friend, etc. with a chip in his truck and its fast as hell.

Funny thing is, its not the 6.0L emblems, the lopey *** cam, the drag radials, or loud *** open headers that scares off more people for a race...........its my damn cage. The only thing I put in there that doesn't make it faster or lighter. "Naw, I ain't racing you....it has a cage!" Go figure that ****

One other thing that bothers the hell out of me that comes from stupid people......
Do you guys ever get ask how fast your truck is, and when you tell them a 1/4 time, they say,"No, I mean how fast topped out? Does it cut off? My brother/cousin/friends/etc truck doesn't cut off and it will do 170".
For one thing, no it won't.Another thing, who the F cares how fast it will go "topped out"? My speedo only goes to 100, so anything over that is just a technicality.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:08 AM
12 Second Truck Club

OMG I had this converation last night with a tool. I was coming home from Jackson Powertrain last night stopped for fuel and a guy walks up "man that thing sounds good. You got a chip in it?" Long ago I started just agreeing so I would not have to talk to the tools any longer. Well this is where it gets funny I had to pop the hood and check the fluids (breaking the motor in again) He walks back over and sees the big carb sitting on the top of the motor and asks me if its a holly and I say yes. Then he asks me what brand chip I had I promptly closed the hood and went and got back in the truck to wait on the fuel to fill. I didnt say another word to the guy.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slowprocess
All the freaking time........Then they always tell me they have a cousin, brother, friend, etc. with a chip in his truck and its fast as hell.

Funny thing is, its not the 6.0L emblems, the lopey *** cam, the drag radials, or loud *** open headers that scares off more people for a race...........its my damn cage. The only thing I put in there that doesn't make it faster or lighter. "Naw, I ain't racing you....it has a cage!" Go figure that ****

One other thing that bothers the hell out of me that comes from stupid people......
Do you guys ever get ask how fast your truck is, and when you tell them a 1/4 time, they say,"No, I mean how fast topped out? Does it cut off? My brother/cousin/friends/etc truck doesn't cut off and it will do 170".
For one thing, no it won't.Another thing, who the F cares how fast it will go "topped out"? My speedo only goes to 100, so anything over that is just a technicality.
I gotta say, I wouldn't bother with ya due to the cage. Hell, anybody that knows anything knows you must be fast or at least plan to be damn fast. At the very least there's a good chance you goto the track quiet a bit and trap lower than 11.5. cage=bad motherf'er usually.

Yeh the young ricers care about toppin out, I gotta admit that's definitely one of my pet peeves. WHO THE FOCK CARES how fast it "will" go. I care how fast I get to the end of the track.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

when people ask me how fast it goes i say a stock corvette will do 180..they make about 300-330 hp to the ground..im makin 451..you figure the speed and i walk off
Old 11-30-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

hahaha..yeah i hate explaining what tuned is...almost everyday someone asks me what tuned means since i have a decal in the back saying "tuned by dan"....by they way just curious, is EFI Live the same as HPTuners or is it better?? cus i really like the way HPTuners made my truck feel.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil04
I think it bugs me more than anything else when someone ask me what kind of exhaust i ahve and they answer there question before i can speak and that answer from themselves is FLOWMASTERS????With a grin on their face.
At times i wanna bitch slap the stupid out of em.
My normal response when this happens: No i woudn't put that **** on a go-cart.
Not that i really care what someone runs hey it's your truck but it pisses me off when someone assumes you have flowmaster because you have exhaust on your truck.
Not to mention they all eyeball my tips sitting on each side of the truck and they say right there on top BORLA.........i guess i really just get annoyed with morons to sum things up.
haha my friend that buys into all the rice crap garbage calls it BOWL-LA he always used to ask me if i was gonna get a jet chip, i just laugh at him and say dude your an idiot!! hes like whaa? lmao!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I've been asked twice... get this. I drive a stock 4.3L in a reg cab.

One guy that asked, raced me in a V6 Mustang. He thought it was quick, granted we didn't get to finish cause we both got citations.

The other guys that asked were sortof ricers. They saw me lay rubber a few times leaving the dorms. They were smart enough to know the engine sizes that come in the trucks. They insisted it was a 5.3L... I told them no, just a stock 4.3L. Made me show them to prove it.

I have to admit, the truck did feel quick when I got it. More so than I would think it should. It would break the tires lose at 30 mph and with only moderate throttle from a stop. Now it won't do 0-60 in 14 seconds. Probably due to a stretched timing chain.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

never been asked that, but i had a guy doen in galveston tell me his 199X dodge ram picked up 50 HP with a TB spacer and intake i just nodded and laughed

they should make a pill to treat stupid, it should make the recipient perminetly infirtile
Old 11-30-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a friend that has and impala SS that always wants to race me. He always asked how fast doest it go. I'm like who care it's not like your going to dive 140 for 30 min straight on the interstate. then he wants to race me for like 3 miles? And where i live they love dodges and theirs a guy with a 5.9 with a chip that thinks he beat me?lol
When i tell them i don't have a chip because i tuned it to what changes i've made they still think in need a chip. Now i'm like "fluck it" it's a 6cyl with wheels and exhaust and a squeeky belt.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been asked once and just said yeah it does cuz little redneck kids around here wouldn't know any better if you tried to tell them different. BUT WHAT REALLY MAKES ME LAUGH...I know a guy that buys into all the HP and torque numbers he sees in the magazines that companys say you gain by buying their product...cai's, programmers, you know, stupid stuff. He was tellin me the other day that his truck would smoke mine because...His 05 5.3 ECSB chevy has 285hp stock and then he's put a HPP3(worth 25hp) on it, Some cai that gave him 27hp and 22tq and a fake dual glass pack setup that was prolly worth 10-15 and some other stuff and believes he's got about 350hp prolly. I told him what mine did on the dyno after the tune and he laughed and said I got screwed and that I had actually lost hp and that I should get my money back. But you you can't explain anything to this guy because he knows everything cuz he read it in a magazine

Quick Reply: How many times you get asked if you gotta Chip?