Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

How many times you get asked if you gotta Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
I get the "Chip" question from time to time. However, my favorite story was from a guy that works in my building. He has a 2005 Denali Truck. I assume it has a 6L. All stock. He might be capable of changing the oil by himself but I'm not sure.

It's no secret I have a few mods on the Tahoe. So he asks me what hp I put down.
I say: "450 to the wheels"
He says "I thought it was supercharged?"
Me: "Yes, it is."
Him: "Well mine puts down 345hp and its all stock....Have you changed the pistons yet?"
I asked: "Why change the pistons?"
Him " Because you wil make a lot more power if you change the pistons"
Me:
Him: "450hp doesnt seem like a lot"
Me: "I guess I'll look into changing the pistons"
Him: " "

I tried to explain that I had changed the engine/posi/gears/cam/springs/added a BLOWER!! however, He was pretty sure he could beat me in any race, dig, roll, 1/4. I told him to let me know when he's ready. I had a headache at that point.
Don't you love those guys lol.
I had one last night ask me what my truck runs what it puts down and what a stock one outs down.Then he went to tell me that they normally make 345 in the Escalades and something must be wrong with the dyno i'm using lol.
I tried to explain it to him for about a min then gave up.....when he said man i don't know you put down 356hp and my buddies Escky makes 345 i think it would be a close race.I just laughed i said well whenever ya'll want to put some money down on that race i'll line up with him.
His remark well i think you will win cause you got 16 more hp but it will be a close race...you prob won't start to pull ahead till after 100 or so.
Mind you this is a stock truck he's talking about but hey since the dealer said it makes 345 thats what it makes to the wheels right?RIGHT!!!!
Eventually i just had to change the subject guy just got on my damn nerves not knowing what he was talking about and so sure of everything he had to say.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

reading this thread makes me sorry for mankind
Old 11-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nightrunner
reading this thread makes me sorry for mankind
werd...
Old 11-30-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i get asked if i have a chip. i just say yes because there's to much hassle in saying, "well actually it was tuned by allen nelson, he stuck a cord into my computer that was..blah blah"
Old 11-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Try explaining a "case learn" to a mechanic. The majority of the ones here dont even know what I m talking about. When I had one done on my other car, I printed out the instructions and said "Look, this is what I what done. Nothing more, nothing less. Can you do this?" Mechanic "why do you want this done?" me "I just do. Can you do it and how much?" He did it and was done in no time and said, "no charge. dont know why you wanted it done but hope that works for you, have a nice day."

Or explain to the idiot at the parts store you want a 160* thermo and that IT WILL NOT mess up the computer. Buddy of mine told the guy at advance, look sell me the DAMN thermo or I ll go somewhere else.

LOL I didnt realize the stress I was saving myself from staying almost stock.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol this kid at myschool rags on chips hes a sophmore also and well he says his crown vic old state police car came with one and the it has a 0-60 acceleration in just about 4 second i just say hmmhmm he says i should get the police special chip.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Been asked many times if I had a vacuum leak
Remember that time when you, Jennifer and I where going to the track and some guy asked one of us "why is your truck running like that"? He was walking to the gas pumps looking back with this confused look on his face. That was funny as ****!!!

James
Old 11-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by closet red neck
Remember that time when you, Jennifer and I where going to the track and some guy asked one of us "why is your truck running like that"? He was walking to the gas pumps looking back with this confused look on his face. That was funny as ****!!!

James
Nope sure dont, where were we at?

edit: was it at a stop and go and I was parked in front of the door and the dude walked out and asked as he went ot his vehicle?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

its impossible to count how many times people ask me about "the chiP" and sometimes its the same people asking me again !!! some people are just complete morons... its chip fooses fault for having that name ! lol, jk
Old 11-30-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have two chips on my truck, just very small needle point paint chips........does that count?

Quick Reply: How many times you get asked if you gotta Chip?