GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Hybrid Silverado?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 04:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid Silverado?

Hey yall.

I'll be heading to graduate school soon, and I more than likely will be heading to either UVa or Umichigan.

Long story short--the Lightning's fun and all, but it's gotta either go or be supplimented.

esp. if I go to michigan--too much snow (I used to live in northern michigan....I know...). The gas prices are killer too.

SO, my question is: what do you guys think about these new SIlverado Hybrids? I'm skeptical, to be honest. I think it's be a pain in the butt if anything ever breaks.

Also, in your opinion, what do yall think I should do? suppliment the L with a hybrid silverado and put the L up in the winter time? or just sell the FOrd and be done with it?

-Mike

P.S. I'm interested in the 4x4 model...for snow purposes.

*edit* I live in Texas now, btw
Old 02-03-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm from new england and 4wd is a waist in the snow it's only good for muddin, as for the hybrid it's not worth it at 21 GPM the 4.6L V6 gets 22 and with some tourqe mods you'll be close to the high 20's. Here's a the web site on the GPM info. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
Old 02-03-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Red03SVT
Hey yall.

I'll be heading to graduate school soon, and I more than likely will be heading to either UVa or Umichigan.

Long story short--the Lightning's fun and all, but it's gotta either go or be supplimented.

esp. if I go to michigan--too much snow (I used to live in northern michigan....I know...). The gas prices are killer too.

SO, my question is: what do you guys think about these new SIlverado Hybrids? I'm skeptical, to be honest. I think it's be a pain in the butt if anything ever breaks.

Also, in your opinion, what do yall think I should do? suppliment the L with a hybrid silverado and put the L up in the winter time? or just sell the FOrd and be done with it?

-Mike

P.S. I'm interested in the 4x4 model...for snow purposes.

*edit* I live in Texas now, btw
I would keep the lightning and just put it up for the winter if you decide to get a Hybrid Silverado. Get the 4x4 model if you will be going through a lot of snow. I don't know who this guy is stating the 4x4 model is not worth it unless your only going through mud.
I would keep the Lightning, because I would still want something that is fast & fun to play with.

Jim
Old 02-03-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't wann get into a bitching match but "THIS GUY" know how to drive in snow unlike "Some Kid" for Texas(no offence Red03SVT) who hasn't seen a single snow flake. Take my advice I know college is expensive I've been there, keep the Lightning if you want and put it in storage. But save your money and buy a silverado V6, or make Chevy6000VHO happy and buy a 4x4, oh did I mention 4x4 wastes more gas too. and saving gas was your main purpose.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:48 PM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

OMG... as long as you don't say "ricer"... I said! Oh no!
Old 02-04-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Beastofa327
Don't wann get into a bitching match but "THIS GUY" know how to drive in snow unlike "Some Kid" for Texas(no offence Red03SVT) who hasn't seen a single snow flake. Take my advice I know college is expensive I've been there, keep the Lightning if you want and put it in storage. But save your money and buy a silverado V6, or make Chevy6000VHO happy and buy a 4x4, oh did I mention 4x4 wastes more gas too. and saving gas was your main purpose.
Go and drive a 2wd truck in the Colorado mountains! Then please tell me a 4wd model is useless unless it will only be used for mudding.
May be from Texas, but have driven in some very bad snow and snow storms.
You wouldn't catch me in a 2wd truck in any snow or ice!
I don't just know humidity, thunder storms, and extreme heat.
By the way, I'm not "Some Kid" and we have seen some snow flakes here in Houston. It happened last year.
Your right about 4x4 trucks getting worse MPG, but it's not all that worse.
He'll surely make the right decision with or without our advice.

Jim
Old 02-04-2006, 02:56 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I know when I was living in Alabama and drove up into the mountains of Tennessee where there was 8"s of snow last year my 4wd sure didnt need to be used and I sure didnt pull my dads GFs lincoln aviator which is 2wd up the driveway to the cabin we were staying in For someone from the north I wouldnt expect you to say 4wd is useless. Ask XLR8NSS(admin here) how he likes his awd SS over his old rcsb 2wd sierra. Bet he tells you he will never drive a 2wd again like he posted BTW the gas mileage thing. Back when I had my 5.3 in my truck with CAI, exhaust, and nelson tune I got .2 more mpg than my step dads ecsb 2wd silvy which has a CAI and exhaust so the mpg point is mute.

Do what you want. If you have the money to swing both then go for it, if it was me I would get an rcsb 4.8 4wd and be done with it great gas mileage and decent power with a few mods. The hybrids are a waste IMO. I would keep the L if at all possible.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

Let me say that I am from Buffalo new york, and we get alot more sonw than New England. And Four wheel drive is def helpful in winter.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

it snowed in texas last winter. it was F*#king awesome for that one night