Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

I hate chevys but I hate the DMV more...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Made in South Korea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my buddy has 3 chevy trucks...

On is totaled bent frame 2005 red crew cab- salvage title
This grey one was bought to fix the red one but this happened instead.
There is a silver 4x4 crewcab on the way with fire damage to help fix the red truck...

He keeps getting way to nice of trucks to tear apart so we keep fixing them. Plus he wants new seats and drivetrain for the 69
Old 05-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snacktime
They actually put the truck on a lift and check all the vin numbers and look for stolen parts. The frame swap will make the truck legal again.
Thanks for the explanation. Those of us in non communist states were a bit confused.
I am forced to ask tho. If your using frame from truck A, engine and body from truck B. how are you making the vins match? Or do they only check for stollen parts.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:54 AM
Made in South Korea

Well the frame is out sourced and legal. The hard part is figuring out what you can do to make it legal...

Some pics of the red truck

Old 05-10-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something doesn't sound right about what you're trying to do....... Sounds shady if you ask me. Now some poor guy will buy a piece of **** truck some day that will have a clean title but one half was in a hurricane and the other half in a wreck. I'd be so pissed if I ever found that out on something used I bought. I hope your friend plans on keeping the truck until it drops dead.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

So are there any markings on the frames that correspond with the VIN? I dont see how its going to change anything...
Old 05-10-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

You say hurricane truck, I assume it was flooded then? I would think you'd have a lot more to replace than just the frame, namely all wiring harnesses, carpeting, etc. If you didn't replace those how could you trust them to not cause problems later on? Surely this truck isn't going to be sold to anyone either, I certainly wouldn't want to purchase a vehicle with that kind of history.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Made in South Korea

Since a lot of you don't realize this is a normal affair around my buddies house. Every year they buy a salvage vehicle and fix it. Since there are 3 kids , mom, dad and construction company the vehicles go from rebuild to junkyard within 5-10years(faster if his sister is driving ). Just how they buy vehicles.

List of salvage vehicles

Old red 90's chevy
2 Astro vans early 90's
3 chevy 2005 1500(they keep getting them for $1500-$4500)
VW bug newer body style
Nissan Altima (2001ish)
Trailblazer(2006)
Oh a couple others some of his extended have a few vehicles

Traded Vehicles
Salvage 96 white chevy-bagged/cut through/tubbed so the salvage title didn't mean much... And the guy who traded for it wanted it for years

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Something doesn't sound right about what you're trying to do....... Sounds shady if you ask me. Now some poor guy will buy a piece of **** truck some day that will have a clean title but one half was in a hurricane and the other half in a wreck. I'd be so pissed if I ever found that out on something used I bought. I hope your friend plans on keeping the truck until it drops dead.
The truck wont be sold, his dad just doesn't sell things. Plus they need it for a work truck so it will not be in good shape forever...

Originally Posted by Leroy_454
So are there any markings on the frames that correspond with the VIN? I dont see how its going to change anything...
There is a vin plate on the frames near the back section.

Originally Posted by magnetized
You say hurricane truck, I assume it was flooded then? I would think you'd have a lot more to replace than just the frame, namely all wiring harnesses, carpeting, etc. If you didn't replace those how could you trust them to not cause problems later on? Surely this truck isn't going to be sold to anyone either, I certainly wouldn't want to purchase a vehicle with that kind of history.
Truck was flooded, only signs are on the driver side carpet about 2" into the cab. Truck wouldn't start when my friend got it, replaced the starter and no issues.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

why wouldnt you just remove the old vin plate and install a different one?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Made in South Korea

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
why wouldnt you just remove the old vin plate and install a different one?
been there... also the vin is in more than one spot on the frame...
Old 05-10-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunder550
Frame swap for a hurricane damage truck? Am I missing something?

Which Hurricane?

Quick Reply: I hate chevys but I hate the DMV more...