Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

I hate chevys but I hate the DMV more...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:54 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is awesome!!! I wanna come help!!
What I'm getting from this is that this family buys wrecked/totaled vehicles. They can't legally drive them because they can't registered them due to the salvage title. So they swap parts/things on them that will allow them to register them with the DMV.
I think...
Old 05-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spoolin

What I'm getting from this is that this family buys wrecked/totaled vehicles. They can't legally drive them because they can't registered them due to the salvage title. So they swap parts/things on them that will allow them to register them with the DMV.
I think...
But isn't that the same thing as salvaging a vehicle?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Spoolin

I think...
i think yer correct, and then they drive them till the wheels fall off, and they do all this because its prob alot cheaper.

tho why not just register it salvage and have PL/PD only on it..just outta curiosity that is
Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been trying to get this stupid square peg through a small round hole for years. :p
Old 05-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

wow.......cool crane!!
Old 05-11-2009, 11:29 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never seen a VIN stamped on any truck frame, I only worked in GM service departments for 14 years. Pic please.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Made in South Korea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I've never seen a VIN stamped on any truck frame, I only worked in GM service departments for 14 years. Pic please.
There is an identification plate on the driver side frame near the front leaf hanger. If it is tampered with the frame is consider stolen.

As far as salvage, the grey truck is actually Texas Non-repairable.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:11 AM
I hate my cats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really understand it, but if it works, cool. Seems kinda backwards though. I think the frame of a hurricane victim would be swapped into a clean truck, not the other way around. But I guess Cali has some odd laws. Anyway, cool man! I like that family's ways.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Buy a cab with a clean or salvage title, swap the cab and you are good to go. It's the only true legal way of doing it without tampering with the VIN numbers on the cab. The frame number doesn't make a F You can buy a new service frame from gm and there are no numbers stamped on it. The tag you are referencing on the frame simply identifies options and VIN to the vehicle it goes with while it's rolling down the assembly line. While a DPS officer may look at you funny if the VINS are different you just have to show them a ticket for a legal purchase of the frame and that explains everything. The important number you must not mess with if you value your virginity of unsaid places is the number on the dashboard.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Buy a cab with a clean or salvage title, swap the cab and you are good to go. It's the only true legal way of doing it without tampering with the VIN numbers on the cab. The frame number doesn't make a F You can buy a new service frame from gm and there are no numbers stamped on it. The tag you are referencing on the frame simply identifies options and VIN to the vehicle it goes with while it's rolling down the assembly line. While a DPS officer may look at you funny if the VINS are different you just have to show them a ticket for a legal purchase of the frame and that explains everything. The important number you must not mess with if you value your virginity of unsaid places is the number on the dashboard.
he does not live in Texas he has to deal with the crap laws of Cali, because what you are talking about works in both TX, and LA. There are a few guys on the board that have built trucks just as described but in LA