Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

i hate talking cars/trucks with people sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i hate talking cars/trucks with people sometimes

you know, you can know the **** like the back of your hand and someone will still argue with you about it. i had my wifes friend tell my i was confused as to what awd and 4 wheel drive is. we were speaking of the ss tb that is soon to come out. my wife wants one. anyway, her friend said i was wrong about awd being all the time. and that is what 4 wheel drive is. i just walked away laughing and said, well, if awd is what 4 wheel drive is then whats your husbands z71? no reply. i think she realized she was busted. but anyway, some people leave me dumbfounded.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I kow exactly what you mean....
Old 05-01-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by goshawk23
you know, you can know the **** like the back of your hand and someone will still argue with you about it. i had my wifes friend tell my i was confused as to what awd and 4 wheel drive is. we were speaking of the ss tb that is soon to come out. my wife wants one. anyway, her friend said i was wrong about awd being all the time. and that is what 4 wheel drive is. i just walked away laughing and said, well, if awd is what 4 wheel drive is then whats your husbands z71? no reply. i think she realized she was busted. but anyway, some people leave me dumbfounded.
I had an older possibly drunk gentleman at a gas station last night notice that I was putting 93 octane in my truck. He was in a silverado also. Anyway he was like why the heck you putting that expensive stuff in your truck you don't need that. He had already had a similar conversation with a buddy a couple pumps up who also was pumping 93. I was very polite at first saying you don't understand. This is a supercharged truck, between the SC and aggressive timing tables I must run 93 octane or the engine will detonate and good possibility of engine damage. This seemed to upset him to no end and wanted very much to argue the point. Thats when I told him he didn't know wtf he was talking about and walked away.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Truck addict

people at school will start talking cars this cars that. i just have to walk away most of the time. i don't want to be the know it all and prove everyone wrong. then again, i might have been that way too when i was 18 to 20 years old. now close to 30 i have wisened up a bit. don't talk **** about something you don't know of, and don't talk it to a person who has what you are talking about.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:35 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Same here...

My G/F's dad thinks he knows everything about cars/trucks. Don't get me wrong he knows his 1960-1980 carburated crap. Here is some of things he has argued with me about, this is what he has told me:

-my truck couldn't have come with roller rockers and hydraulic lifters

-when you change that cam, you need a tuned intake manifold and bigger carb, oh that's right, your fuel-injected, you still need a different manifold.

-That 1998 Ford Explorere has got a 351

-His son and him think that a regular pontiac grand prix has between 250-275hp

Just a bunch of stupid **** that burns me, because if I tell them otherwise nicely, my g/f acts like I'm a know-it-all *******! "They don't know everything like you do."

Then my real good buddy thinks he can put a T88 turbo on his stock ranger3.0, run 20lbs of boost and run 9's. I told him various reasons why that wouldn't work, traction being one of them. He said, I could just put all-wheel drive on it.

Sorry to ramble on, just sharing some of my experience. You aren't alone!
Old 05-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

and dont forget those ext cab trucks with a programmer exhaust and intake that run 13's.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:32 PM
12 Second Truck Club

My father in-law had a stock 67 vette with a 350 engine that ran a 13.2 at 135mph in the 1/4 at our 4400 ft elevation track.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was talking with this one kid who has a WS6. I told him that my truck had a 3.42 rearend and he said that that was really high gearing, I have 263 (or something like that). If that was true, then his would be MUCH higher geared than mine. Anyway, he said that he even had a badge that said that was the gears and that he knew almost everthing there is to know about F-bodys. I guest that's why he put some 20s on and said he can tell they made it faster.
Later on, I realized what he was talking about, final drive ratio. Luckily he had a fine *** sister that I was trying to hook up with or I would have had to slap some sense into him.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:37 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 02denali
and dont forget those ext cab trucks with a programmer exhaust and intake that run 13's.
Or the suburban running low 15's and getting 25 mpg with a 5.3.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Launching!

I work at a perfromance shop in Baton Rouge and customers constantly come in looking for a "chip" for their 99+ GM trucks. I tell them that they are really looking for a programmer. After totally confusing them about how a programmer works, they insist on wanting one. I proceed to ask what size engine is in their truck...and here is the common repsonses i get...

1) "It has the 350, ya know, the same motor I had in my 95 Z71"
2) "Oh it has the small v8" I respond, "the 4.8L?" "no its the 305"

I try to inform them but being as how I am younger than them (I'm only 20) they just take what I say with a grain of salt.

I cant believe guys are paying $20+ grand for a new truck and have idea about whats under the hood.

Quick Reply: i hate talking cars/trucks with people sometimes