Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

I have a weird ass leak?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got bored and frustrated and said F'it and took off the fan shrouds and the fan and started poking around some more.
Its not leaking from the weep hole in the water pump, at least not now.
The leak seems to be comming from behind the pump. Like maybe from the camshaft/timing chain cover? What if anything is behind that cover that would have coolant comming out of it???
Maybe its just the upper passenger side port in the block that the coolant goes through?
Either way its comming from that general area.
I guess I'm glad its not a head gasket or something worse...knock wood.
I'll wait til the morning, get up early and let it idle in the driveway for about 20 minutes or so and see if I can spot this dirty little bastard before it gets serious!!
The thing that is really in my way of seeing the leaky area is the dam air-conditioning compressor.
I hate leaks too!! If I wanted a leaker I'd of bought a Harley!!
I gotta go to bed now, the wife is giving me weirds looks
Old 11-02-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i might be able to help you in depth a little bit more if you cant figure it out here in the next day or so. My cousin has an 01 silverado with similar problems... she cant find a leak but she has a little bit of spray underneath the truck and the coolant is low... it sounds pretty similar to whats going on with you. Its not the heater core, not any lines (from what i could tell from the first time i looked at it) and its def. sitting in that crossmember like you've said... so maybe i can figure it out since i'll be looking at a truck with a similar problem... i'll let you know.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSlow 4.8
i might be able to help you in depth a little bit more if you cant figure it out here in the next day or so. My cousin has an 01 silverado with similar problems... she cant find a leak but she has a little bit of spray underneath the truck and the coolant is low... it sounds pretty similar to whats going on with you. Its not the heater core, not any lines (from what i could tell from the first time i looked at it) and its def. sitting in that crossmember like you've said... so maybe i can figure it out since i'll be looking at a truck with a similar problem... i'll let you know.
Cool, thanks man! I'll post up whatever I find too.
Tim
Old 11-03-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Does anyone know what is behind the timing chain cover as far as coolant passages that may leak if any?? Please let me know if you have any info.
Thanks!
Old 11-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TG02Z71...I know this isn't any help, and you are very frustrated...but everytime I read this thread topic I do laugh out loud. (LOL right now)...sorry. *** leak...ugh.

I don't recall any coolant passages behind the cover...if that helps any.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont see any where on the back of the cover where the fluid would pass through.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
TG02Z71...I know this isn't any help, and you are very frustrated...but everytime I read this thread topic I do laugh out loud. (LOL right now)...sorry. *** leak...ugh.

I don't recall any coolant passages behind the cover...if that helps any.
I appreciate all replies, even if its just humor! You have to keep your hopes up somehow.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSlow 4.8
i dont see any where on the back of the cover where the fluid would pass through.
Thanks, I've been looking for pictures of a cam swap or a timing chain swap to get a better look than the crappy ones in the Haynes manual.

The leak has to be coming from the underside of the passenger inlet or outlet(whichever it is?). I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

Could it be leaking from the tubes that go into the bottom of the TB to heat it?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will almost garuntee that it is the water pump, I have done 1000 of them at my shop, thats why on the first page my post says are you sure its not coolent, Do a pressure test. Any way, replace the water pump and gasket, and get a new quick connect fitting, becasue you will never be able to get the old one out. Trust me, been there done that.

Quick Reply: I have a weird ass leak?!?!