Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

I have a weird ass leak?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at the coolant line that connects the heads together right under the tb. i have seen those leak were they go into the heads. also that line might have a little hole in it and this would lead to it going behind the water pump. there is nothing behind the timming cover that can leak and if there was it would go straight into the oil pan. i kinda doubt it is the pump but dont know. i would first check the line i mentioned. the thing that sux is that ther is a cross over at the back and one at the front then there is a line under the intake man that connects the two. the n ther is a line that comes off the front cross over and goes into the tb.

if you could just find some to pressure test the system you can find the leak in a matter of minutes. i do it every day and it is so easy.

slammed what are you talking about there is no quick connect fitting on the newer pumps
Old 11-03-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just out of curiosity, how do you do a pressure test?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

15Lbs.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
15Lbs.

???? literally, how do you do a pressure test? I have not a clue but i think i too have a leak somewhere.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You pressurize the cooling sytem with a manual pump,so you need the right tool.For the other fella,i bet he has a bad water pump.once you get the shroud,fan clutch off you maybe able to see better.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
Thanks, I've been looking for pictures of a cam swap or a timing chain swap to get a better look than the crappy ones in the Haynes manual.

The leak has to be coming from the underside of the passenger inlet or outlet(whichever it is?). I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

99 out of 100 times it's your water pump as Gonzo is pointing out...but so you feel better here is a link to two pics I took when I was building up my 5.3...god rest its soul. No cover but it gives you the idea of what's behind the cover....oil...black gold...Texas Tea...Good luck.
5.3 Timing Chain
Old 11-03-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mort
Could it be leaking from the tubes that go into the bottom of the TB to heat it?
I have no coolant going into my TB anymore, I did the bypass a few months ago.
Thanks though.

I took the fan shroud and fan off last night and still could not see where the leak originates from.
It is behind the pump somewhere, that is where I saw coolant sitting on the block behind and under the pump.
How much does a pressure tester cost?
Would a place like Pennzoil oil changes be able to test for leaks with a pressure tester?
I was going to have all my fluid replaced before winter anyways.
This leak is really getting stupid, I just got back from work and then to fill up my gas tank after supper and the spot where there was fluid last night is dry.
I think the heat from the motor while its running keeps it dry until it cools down a bit then the leak can begin again!
I may just say F-IT! and live with it for another week.
I appreciate all the words of wisdom everyone and the pics too Dewmanshu!!

Last edited by TG02Z71; 11-04-2005 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

it depends on the place that changes your oil. I work at a kwik kar but we dont just change oil we have an actual shop side with two bays also.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

A generic pressure tester will run you about $50, but if you bring it to a local gargae, or firestone, theyonly charge about$30 to test it for you, I wish you would have listened two me 5 days ago lol., Regardless, I am insisting it is the water pump, it looks like it leaks from the cover but ir doesnt, the gasket is most likly blown out.
Let me know how it turns out.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slammedS10
A generic pressure tester will run you about $50, but if you bring it to a local gargae, or firestone, theyonly charge about$30 to test it for you, I wish you would have listened two me 5 days ago lol., Regardless, I am insisting it is the water pump, it looks like it leaks from the cover but ir doesnt, the gasket is most likly blown out.
Let me know how it turns out.

Wish I would of too. I'm going to get it pressure tested as soon as I have some time.
I have a pile of leaves to burn today as big as my truck!
It will have to wait I guess.

Quick Reply: I have a weird ass leak?!?!