GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Idler Arm Bracket Pivot Assembly..........again

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Idler Arm Bracket Pivot Assembly..........again

Cliff Notes:
I just put on some front end parts and the Idler Arm Bracket Pivot Assembly is already worn out...Any ideas how to "fix" it?

Anyone else's truck eating these things up?
Truck is a 2002 Silverado Z71 with a leveling kit, which raised front up approximately 2.5" total.

Long version:
Three or four months ago I did some general maintenance on my truck which included checking out the front steering components. Anything that showed "slop", or wear, was replaced. I ended up replacing both outer tie-rod ends, the idler arm, and the idler arm bracket pivot assembly, which is the part that the actual idler "arm" bolts to, and then that "assembly" is sandwiched between two brackets that are attached to frame rail on passenger side. All four parts were Raybestos brand, which was all that was available at the time.

I have slightly over-sized wheels and tires (33x12.50x16.5 BFG AT KO's on Weld Racing 16.5x9.75"), and since I work in a heavy duty shop with access to anything needed, I rotate tires (front to back, back to front) at every oil change. No criss-crossing since my wheels are directional.

I noticed just before tire rotation (3 weeks ago), that I had a very slight "shimmy" in the steering wheel and assumed that possibly another front end part was ready for replacement, but got in a rush and never checked it out. I did rotate the tires however and noticed shimmy was worse.

I finally checked it out today and the "Idler Arm Bracket Pivot Assembly" is allowing the idler arm (and it's attached tie-rods) to slop back and forth easily between 1 and 2 inches. The play is very visible where the idler arm is bolted onto the Idler Arm Bracket Pivot Assembly.

Sorry for the long read, I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I can't believe that I just replaced it "maybe" 4,000 miles ago and the truck's never been off roaded, or anything like that, in that short time either.

Since my tires are far from cheap, and I'd rather not ruin them, I'd like to somehow resolve this issue, if possible, so any tips, tricks, pointers, advice, or ideas are indeed appreciated...
Old 12-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put my leveling kit on 20,000 miles ago and have not had a problem yet
Old 12-29-2009, 03:46 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What brand idler arm have you been purchasing? I only recommend Moog.

edit: I just re-read and saw raybestos. You need to buy a Moog idler arm that is already assembled and just bolt it in.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

cognito makes an idler arm and pitman arm kit that braces them, might want to check into that
Old 12-29-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by venomhp
cognito makes an idler arm and pitman arm kit that braces them, might want to check into that
I had the Cognito idler pivot assembly, pitman and idler arm braces, and tie rods on my duramax. Their stuff is top notch, but it is pricey!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
What brand idler arm have you been purchasing? I only recommend Moog.

edit: I just re-read and saw raybestos. You need to buy a Moog idler arm that is already assembled and just bolt it in.
Yeah, I thought Raybestos sold brake parts only, lol. Never knew they even made, or sold, steering parts.

Originally Posted by Stangbanger
I put my leveling kit on 20,000 miles ago and have not had a problem yet
I honestly don't think the leveling kit has any bearing on the problem, just wanted to mention every detail that I could.

Originally Posted by venomhp
Originally Posted by sureshot
I had the Cognito idler pivot assembly, pitman and idler arm braces, and tie rods on my duramax. Their stuff is top notch, but it is pricey!
hmm. Never heard of Cognito before. Like AKlowriderZ71 recommended, I always have tried to use MOOG for steering components, but I am surely open to suggestions. Any site sponsors sell Cognito, does anyone know? Or do I need to be INcognito and buy it elsewhere? LOL

Thanks for the quick replies guys!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

I ordered my cognito stuff directly from their website.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

I ordered my cognito stuff directly from their website.
Thanks. I was just on there and their version is much more than I'll ever need. It comes with extra support brackets that need to be welded on. My truck has no issues with that area, just where the arm bolts onto the pivot assembly.

I was also on MOOG's site and they don't show an assembly that includes the arm and the pivot part, except for 2wd.

edit* Evidently 2wd and 4wd part numbers are the same. You'd think the manufacturer would mention that on their site, lol.

Last edited by rel3rd; 12-29-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Thanks. I was just on there and their version is much more than I'll ever need. It comes with extra support brackets that need to be welded on. My truck has no issues with that area, just where the arm bolts onto the pivot assembly.

I was also on MOOG's site and they don't show an assembly that includes the arm and the pivot part, except for 2wd.
I think you would benefit from their pitman and idler arm braces. They eliminate slop from those components and support everything if you're doing 4wd launches at the track.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

I think you would benefit from their pitman and idler arm braces. They eliminate slop from those components and support everything if you're doing 4wd launches at the track.
That was a one time deal...really.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Idler Arm Bracket Pivot Assembly..........again