Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes sir.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, then you should setup the power side for low on a switch. engine warm up will be quicker, and you can turn them off when your running down the highway. I really would look into controling them otherwise, but I can understand doing things on the cheap!!
Old 10-22-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Of course engine warm up isnt quite a huge concern for someone in houston....
Old 10-24-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default updated . .

Originally Posted by bigredexpress99
Of course engine warm up isnt quite a huge concern for someone in houston....
I saw your write up on your harness. I have everything totaly wired up tonight, but when the a/c kicks on, and kicks in the high speed for both fans, the whole electric system takes a hit, I'm talking enough to dim the lights. I used 10 gugage wire everywhere, and used two fuses for the high speed relays. The lights will stay dim for the entire cycle until they're turned off.

I tapped into the green a/c wire under the fuse box, but now I can no longer control the a/c compressor with the dash switch. I now have to turn off the blower motor completely, or wait for the cycle to finnish before they goback to low speed.

Got any ideas on the a/c wire, and the huge hit that the system takes? here's the diagram that I ended up following.

http://users.adelphia.net/%7Esnakeoi...Option%202.gif

Last edited by Tootall; 10-24-2006 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Well, the hit to the electrical system is normal in most cases, as long as your fan motors are in good condition, then call it a "weak" alternator. Not really weak, the 105 amp ones just dont have the idle output to run everything else w/ the fans. That will go away some with upgrading the alternator, or overdriving it (read smaller pulley). It can never go completely away, cause its one hell of a hit to the system. As for the A/c compressor situation, I guess I dont see another switch in there. The fans will kickon high when the a/c compressor comes on, and not turn off until the compressor turns off. If you put a switch in the ground for those two relays, then you could control it, otherwise, its on its own.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm kinda second guessing this upgrade. Even when crusing at 70 at 2K rmps you can still see the lights dim for the entire cycle. The amp guage drops a little, but recovers almost instant.

How many amps are the stock relays rated for? I ran the truck home from my parents house to my place, for about 60 miles. The relays were pretty warm.

I have a set of FAL 282s, but that's not until later on. I can't imagin what they'll pull amp wise compared to the LS1 fans.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Well, it is about a 70 amp instant hit. I dont see mine dim, and I have ls1 fans. BUT, I have them wired up through a FAL VSC. That has a "soft turn-on" that ramps the voltage to the fan, so they dont hit so hard when the kick on. When you say it dims, do they dim for a second, the guage drops a bit, then it comes back up and lights go back to full? If so, thats actually normal for big hit, its the alternator catching up to the current demands of the system.

Are the relays GM? Whats the part number you are using for the relays? They are all rated different.

We'll figure this out man.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

they're el cheep poes from EPO, an electric whole sale-er here. They're all 30 amps, they all have their own 10 guage power and fused wire. I'm guessing that I really need those 50 or 75 amp relays.

I used to have 7, 130w offroad kc lights on a previous truck, when they were all on at once, I didn't see a hit even near as much as I'm seeing now.

I've got a VSC controler, but I have no idea how to wire it up, can you give me some suggestions? It has the temp probe, and a row of contacts on both sides.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

well,the 30 amp'rs should work. GM ones are rated @ 35, but I'm sure thats just GM's ego....

The lights on a previous truck.....how old/what kind? Your alt. could just be starting to fail, although you cant be sure without testing.

As for the VSC. - http://www.drivetrain.com/flexfan/29...tion_inst.html
I've used this for directions when I lost mine....I now own 3 sets....
Old 10-27-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bigredexpress99
well,the 30 amp'rs should work. GM ones are rated @ 35, but I'm sure thats just GM's ego....

The lights on a previous truck.....how old/what kind? Your alt. could just be starting to fail, although you cant be sure without testing.
It was a 92 excab silverado, 2wd, 4.3, 5-speed (CRAP) 3.73, 33's, spindles, 3" body. 243K miles when sold, and still ran.

Quick Reply: ignition controlled ground - stock tune