Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

input needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default input needed

ok, i am thinking of a long term investment car. I know that vehicles are not the best way to invest, BUT i think that this is one way. I have an opportunity to purchase a new gm by useing my mothers gm employee discount, this alows her and our direct family to get incredible deals on gm's. So i am thinking about getting a new GTO,they list price around 32K and i can get a new one for 23k. I am 23 and i if i get one and never drive it NEVER, keep the miles at zero and store it for the next say 30 years, what do you think that a car like that could bring to the market? a 2006 GTO with NO miles in the year say 2035 it would only think that a perfect car would bring in a small fortune, what do you think, good idea er not? INPUT is needed as i am seriously thinking about doing this soon.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:40 AM
8MC
TECH Apprentice

1- You better get it with every option offered and in the color that the least number of cars were painted(unless it's straight ugly).
2- These are mass-produced vehicles.
3- Do you know for certain that you will have a place to store it for 30 years? Will you be paying for storage?
4- Why a GTO?
5- I could make more money in the stock market with that amount of money over that amount of time, and still have room in my garage.
6- I can't stand people that would buy a car and then not use it. It's like completely making your truck custom, then towing it everywhere on a trailer.
7- Use all this spare change you have and buy a house.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8MC
1- You better get it with every option offered and in the color that the least number of cars were painted(unless it's straight ugly).
2- These are mass-produced vehicles.
3- Do you know for certain that you will have a place to store it for 30 years? Will you be paying for storage?
4- Why a GTO?
5- I could make more money in the stock market with that amount of money over that amount of time, and still have room in my garage.
6- I can't stand people that would buy a car and then not use it. It's like completely making your truck custom, then towing it everywhere on a trailer.
7- Use all this spare change you have and buy a house.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:41 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like gun collectors that dont shoot!

Buy the car if you like it, but as an investment? No. Try bonds or like 8MC said, property is your best investment.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well if your planning to by a GTO in hopes that 30 years from now it will be worth more then you paid good luck.

It's not like it a 69 COPO car where it's bringing in high dollers or even a 94-96 Impala SS where some asre still bringing in the $20k range.

If you buy it drive it, keep it in good shape or else you are just pissing away $$$ if you never drive it.

I have seen people go out spend $65k on a GMMG f-body and they are not getting close to what they paid for. A Phase II Berger car new was running about $55-60k on Ebay a PH II Berger car w/ 6500 mile on it went for $33,800. Now these cars are more rare then a mass produced 2005/2006 GTO.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:20 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I wouldn't do it if I were you. That is not a good way to invest your money. There's tons of other ways to make money. Buy a house or something. I just read an article not too long ago about this and sure enogh, there's only being a few cars that rake in some money. Who knows which cars will be worth some money one day? Better off buyin lotto tickets. Do the math right and you'll see that IT'S A BAD CHOICE.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

If you want to invest in a car, pick something like I did. I didn't buy it for an investment, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to lose on it. I found a car that a guy just did a frame-off restoration on, spent over $60k on it, was getting divorced, and I got it for $20k. I plan on having YEARS and YEARS of fun with it, and I'm quite sure it will always be worth at least what I paid for it. Here are some pics in case anyone is interested. Good luck, but I'd pass on the new GTO. That is a great price, if anything, get one and resell it now.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

BADMOFO
Thats a nice car and a steel for 20K
Old 04-09-2006, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Cars are for enjoying; it's only the very rare exception that makes anyone any money (compared to inflation.)

Real estate is where big money is at for the average joe. Speculate which direction a town/city is expanding, buy as many acres as you can afford out there, and hold on to it until it's value has peaked (when there's houses going up all around it.)
Old 04-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by 2004Denali
BADMOFO
Thats a nice car and a steel for 20K
Thanks! It's not done exactly the way I would have done it, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on it. I may do a set of wheels this year, and maybe lower the rear a little. It's got a independent Corvette rear in it and a 4sp auto w/ OD. It's a real driver, and with a solid lifter .56x lift cam it sounds killer.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but just wanted to show that you can find some deals out there on cars that "should" appreciate over time.

Quick Reply: input needed