GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Installed My AMW Catch Can...pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed My AMW Catch Can...pics ***New Information***

Guys...

I got around to installing my AMW catch can last week. I ended up using Dark Age's concept of mounting it to the passanger side cyl head. So I took all the dimensions down and drew a solid model in Solidworks. Then I sent the file to my buddy who has a CNC machine that he lets me use for free, sweet. Anyway, here it is... it's milled out of a solid piece of 6061-T6 1/4" aluminum plate. I think Dark Age's was 2 pieces welded together. I think my dimensions make the can sit a little higher than dark age's, but that's an easy mod.

If anyone is interested in one let me know... I'll only sell them if I get dark age's blessing. So if there is interest, I will ask him (I think he does't want to make that one anymore) Anyway, thanks to Dark Age for the concept.

Also, notice the safety wire on the mounting bolts...hehe
Old 11-08-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good man. Nice clean install.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

now that is sweet.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Guys, I could sell the bracket for $30.00. That would include the bolts and such. I think I may shorten the height of the bracket by 1.5" before I sell it. I'll have to check it out on my uncle's vette to make sure that there isn't an issue with the revised dimension.

I'll make up a new bracket (with the revised dimension) on thursday evening. I'll post some pictures of the bracket on Friday.

Jeff
Old 11-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Launching!

I just want you to know before you start making these. AMW is now going to be selling mounting brackets for the catch can. They are one piece billet aluminum anodized black(same color as the clamp) and come with stainless mounting hardware Todd said they were around $20.

Mike
Old 11-08-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jeff,
It's not for me to say if you should be able to sell them here or not, I asked Tony ( Nine Ball ) for permission first. That being said, the bracket looks good....are you going to polish them also? With you and AMW now making brackets it looks like I'm out of business, for all those who bought one of mine thank you. . Best of luck to you and AMW in the future. BTW, I would go with the button head bolts instead of the hex bolts, they look a little nicer in my opinon.

Al
Old 11-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i think you better ask before selling those in mass quantities on here.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Al,

Thanks... But not trying to put people out of business, just trying to offer a product. If AMW is offering a bracket at $20.00 thats great too. I'm not sure I can produce it for that, but I'll ask my friend with the cnc.

Al, your absolutely right on the button head screws, I was in a rush when I made the bracket so Home Depot specials were good enough at that time. I would most likely offer the bracket with the button head bolts. Since I don't have a buffer, I was just going to machine sand the surface, like mine in the picture (might be hard to tell, look at the back view).

I'm going to make a set of 5 of the refined bracket (1.5" shorter along the bolt line) on thursday evening. I'll sell those first, if there is more interest, I'll make more. Out of that set of 5, 1 or 2 might go to my uncles (they both have C5 vettes)

Some of you guys might have heard of my one uncle, Charlie Weston "Weston Machine" out of central NJ. I believe he does some machine work for CARTEK.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 11-08-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

And I will ask Tony... before I sell anything...
Old 11-09-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Ok guys,

Tony gave me the go ahead to sell the brackets. Good news, I went through the manufacturing costs of the bracket and I can sell the bracket for $25.00 including the required mounting hardware and Free shipping. I'll post some pictures of the machined bracket on Friday.

Since I'm a rather new guy here on the board and some people might be a little concerned to order from an unknown person, I'm going to use my ebay account as a reference. My ebay name is "Radgraphics". I have a rating of 141 with no negative feedback.

Thanks

Jeff

Quick Reply: Installed My AMW Catch Can...pics