Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Joe Gibbs Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe Gibbs Silverado

Im looking at getting the reg cab edition as soon as i get my car back from MTI and can trade it in. What do you guys think about this truck-I was going to get a Lightning but i found out about this truck and im a chevy guy anyways!!!
Old 06-15-2004, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

have you looked at the price, you could put a truck together that is faster and looks just as good if not better for around 32k instead of 38-41k(I think that's what their going for).
Old 06-15-2004, 09:35 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you buy the truck at invoice price, not sticker price. With gas prices as high as they are, most fullsize truck dealers are having a hard time selling them.

I'd rather have the Joe Gibbs over the lightning, especially since the current Lightning body style is pretty old and is about to get changed next year. The next lightning will be bad *** though!
Old 06-15-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dito
Old 06-15-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

They look good kinda, but you could build a better looking and faster truck for less. MUCH less. Just for instance an 04' reg cab LS silverado w/5.3 3.73 G80 would cost you 24K. Then add $4000 for STS turbo kit, and $4000 for rims, tires, exhaust, dyno tuned install, and SS front end.

Now you would have a custom truck running low 12s for only $32k. Still save $8k.

OR you could buy used and build a truck like parish's for under $24k.

"Dont marry the first one that swallows. There are lots of options" my dad always said.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:15 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
They look good kinda, but you could build a better looking and faster truck for less. MUCH less. Just for instance an 04' reg cab LS silverado w/5.3 3.73 G80 would cost you 24K. Then add $4000 for STS turbo kit, and $4000 for rims, tires, exhaust, dyno tuned install, and SS front end.

Now you would have a custom truck running low 12s for only $32k. Still save $8k.

OR you could buy used and build a truck like parish's for under $24k.
True, but not everyone has the skills, tools, time, or desire to build their own truck. Buying a factory modified truck also has its own benefits:

1. 0% financing for 5 years on the truck and all the parts on it. Try finding a shop that will finance the blower, wheels, interior kit, appearance upgrades, etc.... for 0% for 5 years.

2. Full factory warranty. If you tear down your brand new truck to start modifying it, you have a voided warranty. Buy the one that is done from the factory and you won't have to worry about warranty. If it breaks, you just take it back to them.

3. Resale value. Just compare the resale values between the Lightning and a regular modded 5.4L F150 for an example. The upper model Lightnings hold their values much better than a regular F150 of the same year.

So, there are benefits to buying a new truck that is built already.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

chapman super trucks, contact them. go to their website.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

At our local dealership they go for 44k
Old 06-15-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, he should definitely have a look at Chapman Chevrolet because they have a good deal with Arizona Speed and Marine to bolt on the Radix, and will supply a warranty as well. The price is fantastic compared to a Gibbs truck (which is WAY, WAY overpriced IMO) However, he should check out the terms of the Chapman warranty. If he's in Texas and Chapman is in Arizona, how will he get service or repairs if the truck breaks down? I wonder/doubt if a dealership in TX will honor Chapman's warranty. Of course, he may have the same issue with the Gibbs truck.

Nine Ball, I agree with the financing and resale portions of your post, but the Gibbs is not a factory modified truck, Joe Gibbs is an aftermarket shop, a la Lingenfelter. So while you may be able to finance a Joe Gibbs truck, you may not be able to stroll into any Chevy dealership and get your Gibbs truck serviced under warranty. My bet is you would have to go where you bought the truck in order for them to be nice to you. But I am willing to be wrong on that, I don't know for sure.

All else being the same, the Chapman truck is a much better deal. Unlike the Gibbs truck, you can specify what you want on it (i.e. traction bars, ASM headers, wheels, drop). It's definitely worth a call. I stopped by there when visiting my friends in Chandler, AZ and they're a quality outfit.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

The arranty chapman gives is for the radix powertrain warranty, the dealerships will have honor the warranty. Not sure but you can email chapman and see. they are very nice and give great prices for what you get.

Quick Reply: Joe Gibbs Silverado