Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Just bought Royal Purple. How is it better than Mobil1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have seen engines pulled apart after oval track racing. the ones that used to run royal purple had a clear bubbly coating it left over everything. this only formed with racing for about 100 miles. it did not form on other oils. that made me go with mobile one.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RP has alot of alcohol in it. Nobody I know is really a fan of it. Id never use it, feels way too thin. Ill stick with M1.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Has Anyone Ever Tried Schaeffers. Thats All We Run In Our Race Cars And I Was Thinking About Trying It In My Truck.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Where to start with this one?

I guess first thing is if you paid 7.83 per quart you need to shop around. Suggested retail is 6.17 per quart. And why are you using 10w40 when your engine calls for 5w30 or 10w30.

Second is 90% of what you think you know or have been told about oil is wrong.

Third is theoildrop.com is a joke that sight is the tabloid sight for people who think they know about oil analysis but in reality know very little.

Forth the oil analysis Patman keeps bring up from what he states is Royal Purple is not even our oil. I have called him out on this several times. I have seen the original analysis and the element count proves it’s not our oil. Hell the guy makes copies at kinkos for a living and everyone thinks he is the oil analysis god.

BTW I hate discussing oil on the net.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Silver5.3
RP has alot of alcohol in it. Nobody I know is really a fan of it. Id never use it, feels way too thin. Ill stick with M1.
I hope that was a joke.

No oil contains Alcohol
Old 04-22-2005, 09:53 AM

There are more than one or two fully synthetic PAO oils on the market today. Mobil1 and Amsoil are probably the two biggest.

Fully synthethic oil was originally used in jet engines. Regular oil can't stand the high temp of the engines and low temps of altitude. The founder of Amsoil, A.J. Amatazio was a fighter pilot. He and his buddies used to use the synthetic oil from the jet engine oil changes in their cars in Alaska because it flowed freely at very low temps. He later founded Amsoil. Amsoil is the first commercially available full synthetic oil.

Mobil1 has been around since at least the mid 1970's. I remember reading an article about it in study hall in high school in 1976. I've been using it since the mid 80's with great success. When I got my 1985 FLHT and changed over to Mobil1 the oil temp dropped 20 degrees. I use 5w-50 in the Harley.

In the last year or so oil companies have been able to call regular oils refined using certain methods "synthetic" even though they began with petroleum base stocks. True synthetic oils are fully man-made.

The biggest difference in modern, full synthetic oils is the additive packages added by the manufacturers. That, and coloring. Gotta have something to make it different...

Modern synthetic oils in modern engines doesn't need to be changed at 3k miles. A CONSERVATIVE oil change schedule would be filter changes at 5k miles and full oil change at 10k miles. Certainly, you might want to adapt that to your style of driving.

Oils are a lot like blondes, brunettes, and redheads...All serve the same basic purpose, but everybody likes something a little different.

Z28 Oil Life Longevity Study - http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

Basic Synthetic Oil Research - http://www.google.com/search?num=100...ic+oil+-amsoil
Old 04-22-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by A3Z28
i run AMSOIL 0w30 in my Z28, it is an extended drain period oil (20,000 miles) i just check it every so often and if it's dirty i put a new filter on (sdf32 by amsoil) and top off the oil, i have over 30,000 miles on this oil with MANY 10 second passes and some spray as well. regular 7500 series AMSOIL is guaranteed for up to 7500 miles before needing to be changed in any combustion engine. i'm an AMSOIL distributor if anyone is interested in more information feel free to shoot me a pm and i'd be glad to supply more info. btw...i have over 50,000 on our work diesel with AMSOIL 5w30 Heavy Duty Diesel oil with one of their Oil Bypass Systems with 2 oil filters, one regular AMSOIL filter and one super fine AMSOIL bypass filter and the oil looks brand new every time i check it. it's an 03 Cummins Dodge with around 600 Horse and 900 FT. LBS and it's only had one oil change ever.
other than being an Amsoil dealer do you have any education relating to oil.

because anyone can become an Amsoil dealer for 40 bucks.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

I Dont Guess Anyone Has!!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KBOBOZ71
Has Anyone Ever Tried Schaeffers. Thats All We Run In Our Race Cars And I Was Thinking About Trying It In My Truck.
It's a good oil and will out perform alot of the lesser synthetic oils sold today.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Well We Did A Bearing Lock Up Test At My Dads Job. And The Only Two That Wouldnt Lock Up Were Schaeffers And Royal Purple. The Test Was Done After All The Oil Was Drained From The Cavity With The Bearing And Then Pressure Was Applied To Make The Bearing Lock Up. All Other Oils Locked Up. But What Set Schaeffers Apart From Rp Was That We Had To Clean The Bearing 7 Times On The Schaeffers With The Cleaner That We Sprayed On The Bearing After Each Oil Was Tested It Just Wouldnt Come Off. That Showed Us That It Coats The Parts That It Touches Better Than Any Other Oil That We Tested Synthetic And Non Synthetic. But Rp Was Still Very Impressive.

Quick Reply: Just bought Royal Purple. How is it better than Mobil1?