Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Just got a new Duramax Diesel Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 03:49 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SsZERO
What does it cost to build up an allison tranny? What actually needs to be done to build it up? If I got a 4" exhaust, would it be a lot louder than stock? I do not want my truck to be loud, since it is my daily driver. The stock noise levels are fine with me.
About $6000 to make a bulletproof Allison.FWIW my truck has been juiced for 33,000 miles and the Allison has never limped.I does have convertor shutter when I pull my 15,000 lb gooseneck if I get on the throttle too hard.I want to buy a beefed Ally but damn 6 grand for a tranny is unreal.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

What does it cost to build up an allison tranny? What actually needs to be done to build it up? If I got a 4" exhaust, would it be a lot louder than stock? I do not want my truck to be loud, since it is my daily driver. The stock noise levels are fine with me.

A fully built Allison (hold on to your ***), is just north of $5K all said and done! But you could get it done locally and probably save a grip. The converter alone is ~$1300. That ATS Copilot is a trick VB setup. www.atsdiesel.com and www.suncoastconverters.com

The loudness of the exhaust will be dependant the size of the muffler. The larger the muffler, the quieter the sound...inversely the smaller muffler, the louder the sound.

You can drive straight on dry ground in 4Hi to drag someone, they don't recommend it due to binding that's incurred around corners. So, just flip it on when you need it.

I change the fuel filters on my vehicles at 10K mi, it's a bit often but it ensures me peak performance and economy always. I had one that I changed on my Z at 10K was heavily soiled.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:40 PM
7 Second Club

Hitman does someone have to do the whole 5-6k tranny to live behind a juiced Dmax?How about just the convertor and shift kit.I want to upgrade before something fails but that's alot of money for a complete unit.If someone just drove the truck responsibly I wonder if the convertor and shift kit would be enough in a non-racing application.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd bet just the converter and shift kit would hold the Hot Juice alone. Recall the slippage is of the converter not the internals at that power level. Both of those VB setups (TransGo and ATS) increase line pressure. I think the ATS goes to 290psi in all gears and the TransGo to around 240psi for them all. I read somewhere that 5th is weak to being of considerably less pressure...like 90psi or something.

If you ever plan more power, I'd replace the clutches while that Alli is out...it's very simple to rebuild from my readings on it. Clutches are cheap and labor shouldn't be too much more at that point when the unit it out.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Launching!

OK, I'll have to pass on that $6K upgrade for now, plus another $800+ for the programmers. But it is nice to know I can have a big, fast pickup for under $10K in parts/labor.

Today when I was driving in the city, my truck started sounding like a vacuum cleaner and it seemed like the power was reduced. Is that normal or is that a problem I should be worried about? This also happens sometimes when I start the truck up for the first time on a given day. It goes away after a while, but it is really loud inside the cab, even with the windows rolled up. I can only here that sound when accelerating, not when idling or coasting.

The other thing I noticed was the temperature of my tranny fluid. Sometimes it stays around 100-150, but other times it crawls up to or past 200. Is that normal? I am not towing anything yet and I only have 220 miles on the truck.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I too just bought a new duramax last week. It has the LLY engine. I was thinking of adding some performance mods. Nothing radical. Any suggestions.
I have the crew cab 2wd. Superchips will not have their programmer available for about 3 months. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

CHOP

The other thing I noticed was the temperature of my tranny fluid. Sometimes it stays around 100-150, but other times it crawls up to or past 200. Is that normal? I am not towing anything yet and I only have 220 miles on the truck.

Apparently that's normal for that Allison, as it runs at a constant high pressure making a high temp. I'd try to figure out how to stick a bigger cooler in there with a fan.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KA41
I too just bought a new duramax last week. It has the LLY engine. I was thinking of adding some performance mods. Nothing radical. Any suggestions.
I have the crew cab 2wd. Superchips will not have their programmer available for about 3 months. Any input would be appreciated.

The Edge box has proven to be badass in the past LB7 motors. The TTS reflash works sweet too. And that Quadzilla Stealth works too.

When I get one, I'm going to run the Edge Hot Juice and the Quad 215...
Old 07-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Launching!

What about that vacuum cleaner sound? Is that a problem or is it normal?
Old 07-09-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Veteran

What about that vacuum cleaner sound? Is that a problem or is it normal?

Hrm, I'd have to hear it to tell you...most likely it's just turbo noise.

Quick Reply: Just got a new Duramax Diesel Silverado