Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

key fob question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default key fob question

So my keyless entry clicker died the other day, and I was looking on ebay to try to find another one, and was wondering, do you have to match the numbers on the back up to the one you are buying? I was looking on one sellers page (ebay store, wesavedit4u), and the number it listed was the GM/UTA# and it was 1504**** and said something about the rare "other" number, which mine seems to be mine is 15732803 and I can't find one listed on there with that number... Anybody know what else I can do? keep looking?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my fob from ebay, I brought it to the dealerships and they reprogrammed it. By reprogram, I mean they held the lock and unlock buttons for 8 seconds, or similar, next to the truck and it worked fine. GM may have moved to different technology, so it may be worth a shot to replace the batts and try this trick.

If not, you could always buy another fob and try it this way too.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

try changing the batteries (unless you know it's dead from taking a swim or something)

also search for 01 Silverado remotes, some may not list the number in the auction

edit:
actually on ebay if you search: 15732803 a bunch come up
Old 11-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Wink

If you can't find one on e-bay call and get a price from a dealer. Here's the programing procedure: (came from GMSI)

Document ID# 660746
2001 Chevrolet Chevy C Silverado - 2WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmitter Programming

Important
All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to four transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

You may program up to 4 transmitters, using either of the two following procedures:

Transmitter Programming Procedure (Method 1 - No Tools Required)
Close all the vehicle doors.
Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
Press and hold the door unlock switch.
While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Transmitter Programming Procedure (Method 2 - Scan Tool Required)
Install a scan tool.
Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
Use the scan tool in order to access the Body Control Module (BCM) Special Function: Program Key Fobs menu.
Follow the directions on the scan tool in order to program the transmitters.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 660746
2001 Chevrolet Chevy C Silverado - 2WD
Old 11-15-2006, 02:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nick™
try changing the batteries (unless you know it's dead from taking a swim or something)

also search for 01 Silverado remotes, some may not list the number in the auction

edit:
actually on ebay if you search: 15732803 a bunch come up
I was actually going about it backwards from that, I never thought to search for the number thanks for all the info guys.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

good luck with finding one that works off ebay. unless it's a dealer, I wouldn't buy from em
just from my bad experience
Old 11-15-2006, 03:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
good luck with finding one that works off ebay. unless it's a dealer, I wouldn't buy from em
just from my bad experience
Yeah, I was kinda leaning towards buying one from one of the stores on there. I will say one thing though, if I have to pay more than about 15-20 bucks for it, I can just use the key...