Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Keyless Entry non-operational

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless Entry non-operational

Hello all, i would first like to extend my gratitude for the wealth of information provided by the members of this website. Over the course of my time as a member i have taken the advice of searching for answers to my problems rather than post pointless posts. This has allowed me to solve a great many problems and questions over the last year.

Now my current problem is with a non functioning keyless entry system. Last friday evening i headed out to unlock my truck using the key fob and had no luck, this was the first time i have had this problem with this particular key fob. I have no other key fob to test with so i went with installing a new battery and re-syncing the remote to the truck. I had no luck with that and continued to set the truck in program mode per the directions from GM, and had no luck with that either, it seemed as though the truck did not recognize the key fob was trying to sync up with it. The truck would go into program mode with a lock/unlock of the doors as a signal, i would hold the lock and unlock pads on the key fob and within 5 seconds of this process the truck would go out of program mode with a lock/unlock cycle. The instructions for this process indicate that the time required is normally 15 seconds. I proceeded to check the keyfob for continuity with the buttons pressed using a multimeter and the correct traces on the fob circuit board. This test showed that the fob had the correct continuity when the correct button was pressed.

I have come to the conclusion that the fob is functioning correctly and that either the Infrared Receiver in the truck or the Body Control Module has a fault somewhere. I have also checked and replaced any blown fuses in the interior and exterior fuse boxes. Is it possible to check the BCM for codes of a faulty IR receiver, and if so how would i go about doing this. Anything that i may have missed in my trouble shooting process? Please let me know, Thank you for all your help.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:41 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you have taken the correct steps. I can only offer a Welcome to PT.net to a fellow Californian. Perhaps someone will chime in with more ideas.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

More than likely, the BCM module went bad on you.
Either that or take it to dealer to let them try and reprogram the remote to the truck. Of course, they will charge you........
Either way, the PCM will need to be reprogrammed to accept the new BCM module if you replace it.
The truck will not even start if it is replaced without being reprogrammed.
Do you have reprogramming software?

Jim
Old 12-13-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

just FYI, I know for a fact on the 2003+ trucks that the keyless module is build into the passenger side door control module.... I believe, but am not positive, that it is the same for 99-02... with that known, maybe you could get you hands on a junkyard passenger door control and try the reprogram again? it's just an idea
Old 12-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Same thing happened to me. However, I couldn't even get into program mode. The fob just completely quit one day. I went ot the dealer and they hooked the truck up to the Tech II and it has worked fine since. (at least 3 months now)

BTW, they did it for free. Took about 10 minutes.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I can't believe it, IT WORKS! Out of nowhere last night while replacing my porch light bulb, my truck's alarm started going off. I ran over to the truck to stick the key in the ignition to turn the alarm off and the locks cycled twice. I thought that was weired, so I tried to use the lock and unlock buttons on the key-fob, low and behold they WORKED! I can't believe I got so excited about something as trivial as this, but after having to use my key to get in the truck for the last 11 months, this is great!
Old 02-17-2008, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

sorry to drag this up, but i did a quick search and quickly got lazy, lol....

what is the relearn procedure for the key fob?? 03 Yukon. TIA!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:57 AM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by The LT1 That Could
sorry to drag this up, but i did a quick search and quickly got lazy, lol....

what is the relearn procedure for the key fob?? 03 Yukon. TIA!
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...hlight=key+fob

Sounds like your porch light and key fob are tied together some how? I guess next time your porch light won't work but the bulbs good, you should check the battery in your fobb. LOL
Old 02-18-2008, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

thanks! does it matter what vehicle the key came from i.e. I have one from a Malibu...???

...NM, they're only 40 new from scroggin right down the road

Last edited by The LT1 That Could; 02-18-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

I see this very thing alot my friend. You're remote may have lost a battery and in the process of the battery going dead, some times, the key fob will be operational but it can loose it's "hard Memory". Thus leading you to have to go back to the dealer and have the Dealer use the Tech II and re-program the key fobs. I don't know why this phenom happens but it does. Using the TechII is the only cure I have found.

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry non-operational