Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Lifted Trucks: Sagging in the Rear?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifted Trucks: Sagging in the Rear?!?

I went to cali over memorial weekend, and the problem only seems to be getting worse everytime I go. It seems there's an epidemic of lifted trucks that violently sag in the rear. I've racked my brain trying to think how this could prove to beneficial. I can only assume it's some sort of SoCal style thing that some people think looks good.

IMO it looks like ***, so if your truck does it, fix it! Some of these trucks, particularly the Ford Pooper-Duty's were down right dangerous looking.

It's as if they only lifted the front of the truck. Or maybe they loaded the trucks so much, the springs reached their yield point and somewhat collapsed?!? Or the combination of extra moment from the lift blocks on the axle housing caused them to collapse. Whatever it is, its ugly and I don't know how they see where their going.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Although my Z71 set's an inch higher in the front I know what you mean. And yes that is "cali" style. I have been trying to catch a ferd that runs around here to get a pic. It has at least 12" more front lift than back. very funny lookin plus the guy seems to be a jerk. The first time I saw it. He had jumped out at a stop light to cuss out the volvo behind him. Seems the 6 foot space between his truck and the volvo was not enough while sitting stopped at the light.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I understand the style of the back being lower. It's been around since the 50's with the old Merc's and such. But on a lifted truck, it serves no purpose. In fact its dangerous to have a 12" height difference. There's no way you can see what's in front of you! They must sit on phone books!
Old 06-06-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

12" yikes that is scary , combine that with an Asian driver and you can have a collission that is worse than an Amtrack getting derailed. I remember seeing trucks slightly lifted but not that much. If I am correct they are called California lifts. I know that Baja trucks run slightly higher on the in the front.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I understand the point of the baja trucks being higher in the front, but these trucks are far from being baja of any type. Try to baja a quad cab, long bed F-350!

We were on the freeway doing about 75-80, when this Expedition passes us, damn near rubbing the fenders on the 35's in the back. Yeah that's real cool.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or maybe he could only afford the lift for the front. Damn man cut him a break.!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by desTRUCKtive
Or maybe he could only afford the lift for the front. Damn man cut him a break.!!!
Well it was a ford so maybe fixin or repairin daily took his rear lift money..

He has at least 38's on it. It's huge just funny lookin. Got fox rezzys and all he's spent a pretty penny so far
Old 06-06-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=desTRUCKtive]12" yikes that is scary , combine that with an Asian driver and you can have a collission that is worse than an Amtrack getting derailed.
QUOTE]

LMAO, but yes i agree these trucks do look stupid that violently sag in the rear.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

Its the pre-runner style, alot of huge "Disco" trucks fake it for looks, but it is supposed to be for off road running. Its benifitial to have more suspension sag, or extension becuse most whoops start out with a dip, and soft rear suspenion lets you go faster off road. Kinda the opposite of gnarly east-coast mud and roots off roading.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Soquel
Its the pre-runner style, alot of huge "Disco" trucks fake it for looks, but it is supposed to be for off road running. Its benifitial to have more suspension sag, or extension becuse most whoops start out with a dip, and soft rear suspenion lets you go faster off road. Kinda the opposite of gnarly east-coast mud and roots off roading.

I understand the pre-runner baja style thing, but those trucks are usually 2wd, they have coil-overs, wide fenders and beds. They also tend to be of the smaller (Ranger, S-10) variety. By having a leaf spring solid front axle truck sag, or even better an SUV, it looks sloppy. And I think we all know most of those trucks have never seen dirt let alone whoops.

Quick Reply: Lifted Trucks: Sagging in the Rear?!?