Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Locking Front Axle

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 06:31 AM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Locking Front Axle

I have an 06 Silverado that I'm going to convert to AWD using the NP149 transfer case. I have heard/read that some have been able to shift the truck into 4WD, then just remove all connections and the front axle stays locked. I just want to confirm this is correct. Has anyone else done this? I've seen conflicting info that the front driveshaft will work from the NP246 to the NP149. The truck currently has a 4L60E, not the 80E, so the rear driveshaft should be fine, but can't get solid info on the front one. I'd just swap the front axle, but my truck has 3.42 gears, not 3.73, which is what all the Yukon Denalis and Escalades had in the front diff, so I'd rather not regear right now if I don't need to since I just dropped some money on the 6.0 swap and upgrading the 60E.
Old 07-25-2024, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't confirm, but it does seem possible. When the transfer case actuator in my 2005 died while it was in 4wd, it stayed in 4wd until I had the actuator replaced.
Old 07-25-2024, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 460 Likes on 360 Posts

What are you asking about? An axle swap or something else?
Old 07-25-2024, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smokinlmm
What are you asking about? An axle swap or something else?
I'm swapping the transfer case from NP246, to NP149. I want to know if the front axle that is currently in there can stay, just shift into 4WD, so it locks and then disconnect everything and it will stay locked, as the AWD front axle is. The only difference between the two front axles are the right side, where the FAD is. I could get an AWD front axle and swap that 1 piece part out, but if I don't have to, why bother?
I'd also asked if anyone knew if there was a difference in length between the NP149 front drive shaft and the NP246 front drive shaft.
Old 07-25-2024, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 206 Likes on 165 Posts

Have you watched the Lawrence Tolman "ugly truck" AWD conversion series on YT. I'm pretty sure he covers everything, including the front axle. I can't recall if he had to do custom driveshafts though. I don't think he did?
Old 07-25-2024, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by strutaeng
Have you watched the Lawrence Tolman "ugly truck" AWD conversion series on YT. I'm pretty sure he covers everything, including the front axle. I can't recall if he had to do custom driveshafts though. I don't think he did?
Yep, I watched his, he swapped the front axle, actually rebuilt it because he was changing gears. He used the whole Denali front axle because it was a 1 piece axle, where the trucks have a 2 piece because of the FAD. I would just slap a front axle from a Denali in there, but my truck is a 3.42 gear, where all the Denalis and Escalades are 3.73s.

I just dropped a bunch of money on an LQ9 swap, trans rebuild/upgrade. The current t-case needs to be repaired/replaced because of the typical pump rub, there's a hole in the case and it leaks fluid out in a couple weeks. I found a good used AWD t-case for $100. If I can just pop that in there, lock the front axle and have AWD, I would prefer to do that. Long term, I'd swap the front axle to the 1 piece Denali axle, but for now, this would be a cheap route to go...... and not have to buy a transfer case twice.
Old 07-25-2024, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 460 Likes on 360 Posts

I think the actuator has to have power applied for it to engage the axle but I can’t remember for sure. I don’t see why you couldn’t just leave everything hooked up and leave it in 4x4.
The following 2 users liked this post by smokinlmm:
arthursc2 (07-25-2024), strutaeng (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smokinlmm
I think the actuator has to have power applied for it to engage the axle but I can’t remember for sure. I don’t see why you couldn’t just leave everything hooked up and leave it in 4x4.
The reason I'd remove everything is so I don't have the cluster message. LT had that on his truck, so he ended up removing everything; wiring, dash switch and even the module behind it and the message went away. So my thought was to shift to 4WD, disconnect the actuator connector and then remove everything. The actuator would stay in place, keeping the front axle in 4WD, but no more wiring, module or switch.
Old 07-25-2024, 09:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Just have to remove the TCCM to eliminate the message on the dash

Apply 12v to the CAD (FAD) and party
Old 07-25-2024, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Just have to remove the TCCM to eliminate the message on the dash

Apply 12v to the CAD (FAD) and party
Will that have to be a constant 12V feed, or just to engage it and be good to go?

Quick Reply: Locking Front Axle