Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

looking for small MPG gains, I know lol, ported TB or TB spacer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for small MPG gains, I know lol, ported TB or TB spacer?

I have an 05 5speed regency rst short bed reg cab. Sorry but 4 dollar gas is not going to be fun. I have my cbr bike in the summer at 40mpg but my truck cant match that and I dont have the money for an old civic 5 speed.

currently best i can do, not WOT all the time is 18mpg around town not highway.

throttle body spacer, I've seen positive and negative responses.
Which would you recommend? Some have that Helix which makes that loud noise under throttle. Or should I just go to a smooth TB spacer with no helix? For 40 or 50 bucks its not expensive.

I found a couple guys with ported throttle bodies. It is just making all rough area's smooth and polishing it up. Going bigger doesnt make sense since it already flows good number stock that I know. I know you can do a coolant by pass but thats for HP not MPG I would think.

A cold air intake is HP not MPG, I may re-route my CAI to WAI to near my header, yea it kills power but improves mpg. Probaly make it easily changed back so I can rip around on a nice summer weekend or the track. (dont laugh it is true.)

Okay spark plugs, those E3 plugs are junk I had 3 sets in 6 months fail on my old jeep cherokee. I know HP TV shows that dyno proven increase but they are only good for a short time. Do you recommend acdelco Iridium or platinum for mpg?

Plug wires are already aftermarket high output.

Already have high flow exhaust for the most part, they are shorties but whatever.

Tune, Nelson tune is going to tune a spare computer I have for 87 octane and a MPG tune which they say can do 2 to 3 mpg over stock. Then I will just swap back in my stock computer with the mods on it back in again on a nice summer weekend or the track.

Gears are stock I want 4.10's but then I will kill mpg on highways

Soon will be installing an extang rt low profile bed cover so that will help some too

what else and your toughts thanks guys!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Launching!

I have not heard anything good about the throttle body spacers, and I'n not sure what you mean by CAI not good for mpg. I added a ram air scope from my tow hook up to the bottom of my air box that seemed to help on the highway. I was able to pick up about a .9 mpg improvement (did not do much testing on this). I think the tune will be the most helpful.

I am also interested in others thoughs for better MPG.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

sounds like your pissing alot of money away on plugs, the WAI (seriously WTF....), really the only thing you can do is make sure the tune is good... Everything else is just wishful thing....

WAI, seriously.....
Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
sounds like your pissing alot of money away on plugs, the WAI (seriously WTF....), really the only thing you can do is make sure the tune is good... Everything else is just wishful thing....

WAI, seriously.....
Hey don't knock those things man....

Reduced weight saves fuel...ergo...if you reduce the weight of cash in your wallet you will gain in MPG.

As for the TB spacer...your better off putting the 40 or 50 bucks in your tank...even if by some magic it actually worked on a vehicle that doesn't mix fuel and air in the intake, best you could hope for is .1 or .2 MPG....it would take a lot of tanks to pay back 50 bones.

Get a tune and clean your intake and fuel system. Use recommended plugs (NGK TR-55 platinum)....and be happy your only paying 4 bucks a gallon...its almost 6 up here.

Oh and an egg between your foot and the go peddle helps fuel economy greatly....as long as you concentrate on not breaking the egg.

Last edited by Jordan927; 03-01-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=244 not the best site for WAI but do a google search its not a joke.

CAI is still good, just not as good as WAI for MPG. CAI increase Hp because you get rid of that bulky in-efficent sucking through a straw airbox.

The E3 plugs were warrantied twice, I only paid for them one time.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Justinrst
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=244 not the best site for WAI but do a google search its not a joke.

CAI is still good, just not as good as WAI for MPG. CAI increase Hp because you get rid of that bulky in-efficent sucking through a straw airbox.

The E3 plugs were warrantied twice, I only paid for them one time.
Fuel prices suck...we all get it....But 18MPG...WTF man....thats better than just about everyone on here gets.

I get 14.25 man

Your driving a 5000lb hunk of metal and plastic that has the aerodynamics of a piano. What do you expect to get for fuel economy...not to mention its a V8....The fact that you get half of what your 600lb bike(including you on it) gets should be astounding...if anything I would try to increase my bike...cause pound for pound and power to weight ratio, your bike BLOWS for fuel economy.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Justinrst
currently best i can do, not WOT all the time is 18mpg around town not highway.
I wouldnt do much complaining.........
Old 03-01-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

Warm Air Intake, Throttle spacer

Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Warm Air Intake, Throttle spacer

Old 03-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out ecomodder.com. Yes some of the stuff greatly contrasts with what we do here, (WAI) but does work. There are pretty small aero mods that help with mileage that will help et too (grill block, lower valence). I personally have extended my lower front valence by .75", tuned with HPT, lowered rear 2". I soon will go another 2" all around, and add a tonneau. Also, according to my DIC I get a consistant .5mpg with my mirrors folded on the highway. I'm hoping for 20mpg on summer gas. Not bad for a Crew Cab 6.2l.

Quick Reply: looking for small MPG gains, I know lol, ported TB or TB spacer?