Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

looking for small MPG gains, I know lol, ported TB or TB spacer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Jordan927;4653261]Fuel prices suck...we all get it....But 18MPG...WTF man....thats better than just about everyone on here gets.

I get 14.25 man

i only got 11.54 this last tank and 12.6 before that, id kill for 14 lmao
Old 03-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Well this is my opinion on the WAI. Hotter air means you will pull timing, less timing means less power, less power means lower mpg. Now that is a fact. Pull up any tune, look in the spark section. You will see a iat spark table.

Also hotter IAT temps will make the truck run richer.

Now tell me again how a WAI will increase MPG?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sliderbkt
Check out ecomodder.com. Yes some of the stuff greatly contrasts with what we do here, (WAI) but does work. There are pretty small aero mods that help with mileage that will help et too (grill block, lower valence). I personally have extended my lower front valence by .75", tuned with HPT, lowered rear 2". I soon will go another 2" all around, and add a tonneau. Also, according to my DIC I get a consistant .5mpg with my mirrors folded on the highway. I'm hoping for 20mpg on summer gas. Not bad for a Crew Cab 6.2l.
That's a lot of money to be spending if you cant afford a tank of gas at 4 bucks a gallon man.

I just put my foot in it and fill it when its empty. If I want to save gas I'll drive the Cruze. I mean its a truck....it has 8 cylinders....its shaped like a block, and its supposed to be bad on fuel.

[QUOTE=07vmax1500;4653395]
Originally Posted by Jordan927
Fuel prices suck...we all get it....But 18MPG...WTF man....thats better than just about everyone on here gets.

I get 14.25 man

i only got 11.54 this last tank and 12.6 before that, id kill for 14 lmao
That's funny **** right there.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jordan, I didnt say I couldnt afford it. It is all part of making the truck better. Many would say trucks are supposed to be slow. But, no one here beleives that.

Last edited by sliderbkt; 03-01-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Launching!

no reason for gas to be over $2 a gal, ******* government propaganda right there

every year there is a war in some shithole country and our gas prices go up, there could be a war on mars and our gas still goes up and america falls into it everytime

OP buy a bicycle, 18 is great in town, unheard of actually
Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Jordan, I didnt say I couldnt afford it. It is all part of making the truck better. Many would say trucks are supposed to be slow. But, no one here beleives that.
Don't get me wrong...its impressive that you get what you get....but gimmicks like TB spacers just make it so the people who own those companies can afford the $4 /gallon gas that your supposed to be saving on.

And yeah, I know trucks are fast, but you can't have both man. You drive easy to save gas and do WAI's, pull timing, etc etc...you just make it slow....Or put your foot in it and pay at the pump...

If you want better fuel economy...Go get a turbo. Just 4-5psi, you wont need meth injection or an aftercooler if you get an STS setup, and you will gain mega MPG...like 2-3 if you drive like a sensible human being....I would likely lose 5MPG...LOL An extra hundred ponies will definitely increase MPG as long as you tune it right....and when you wanna play....you can go play with the big boys.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are right TB spacers on our motors are junk. Maybe they work on other styles of motors, but I don't know or care.

You can however have both power and efficiency (albeit not at the same time). Add timing, shorten shift times, aeromods, weightloss, etc all serve to go fast and add mpg. But, you have to have a balance. I am not willing to mod for mileage at the expense of power. But I love when things do both.

And, you are def right about the turbo setup. My last truck had a 6.0l with front mount turbo, and I could pull 18mpg going to the track, and then run high 11s (at least when **** didn't break). I think a 4.8l with sts could be a killer setup.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

You are right TB spacers on our motors are junk. Maybe they work on other styles of motors, but I don't know or care.

You can however have both power and efficiency (albeit not at the same time). Add timing, shorten shift times, aeromods, weightloss, etc all serve to go fast and add mpg. But, you have to have a balance. I am not willing to mod for mileage at the expense of power. But I love when things do both.

And, you are def right about the turbo setup. My last truck had a 6.0l with front mount turbo, and I could pull 18mpg going to the track, and then run high 11s (at least when **** didn't break). I think a 4.8l with sts could be a killer setup.
Yeah, thats what I mean...you have to tune for one or the other...never shall the two meet...LOL
I think 18 MPG is ridiculous for a, in your case, almost 6000lb truck.

The 5.3L and STS is nice...I have seen it get awesome mileage. If you can keep your foot out of it....the 4.8L being a square motor would be very nice with some FI
I think if you wanna break 20MPG thats where your gonna have to go...just 4-5psi so you don't break ****. With the right turbo, something that hits full spool at a low rpm you would be well in the 20's but that too is a lot of money for a couple bucks saved at the pump....unless your going for a record or something.

Whats a hybrid getting....cant be much more than what your getting.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

My truck won't get 18mpg rolling down hill with the key off.. If your on performancetrucks I don't think you should be worried about mpgs and if you are mighT wanna join a prius forum. 18mpg is good for a truck leave it alone and all your thoughts to make it better suck..

Best thing for mpgs is make sure your tune is spot on and try to stay out of the skinny pedal
Old 03-02-2011, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys I appreciate it.

I get 18mpg since its the 4.8 5 speed reg cab and 1st to third all the time and so on, plus with the foose regency options lowered and the low front valence so low helps too.

I agree with you guys I was just putting it out there for any other thoughts to try and get some better mpg thats all.

Quick Reply: looking for small MPG gains, I know lol, ported TB or TB spacer?