GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Looking for some suspension parts/advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 01:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for some suspension parts/advise

Hi everyone,

Long time poster on ls1tech, first time here. Decided to check the site out as I can't seem to get any help from over on fullsizechevy. So here is the copy and paste from my thread over there:

I think I have decided I do not wish to drop my 99 any lower than it already sits. It looks good to me, but one of the things I need to fix is the prior owner cut and rewelded the stock shackles.

So I want to get a set of 2" drop shackles somewhere to replace these butchered stockers.

I also would like to get some shocks for this truck. One thing is I want to do what I need to make the rear of the truck right. Are there shorter shocks available? I would like to replace the shocks at all 4 corners, they are pretty beat. I wouldn't mind something performance oriented.

I need to find some bump stops for this thing, any recommendations?? The factory ones are just gone, I'm sure they were probably rubber and haven't been there for a while. The truck has bottomed out before, damn that is rough!

Is there a rear sway bar I can bolt into this truck? Once again just with the truck sitting level, I guess I have really made up my mind on not making this thing lower. Well at least for now.

Is there something I can do for the wheel hop? On occasion I get on the throttle in 1st gear but the 1-2 shift is really not fun. I have to make a conscious effort to bring the clutch out slowly or I get violent feedback from the truck.

Thank you for any help and direction that is provided! It is a rough ride right now and I know it can be a lot better.

Name:  IMG_0323_zps34753fe6.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  126.9 KB
Old 08-09-2013, 07:41 AM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont know what parts stores are out there but pepboys and autozone have 2" drop shackles for ur truck and are like $20. Belltech has the street performance series of shocks, theyre pretty firm but that will probobly work with what u want. The suburban/tahoe rear sway bars are almost bolt in on the trucks with a little bracket fabrication.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, I'll call Belltech tomorrow to try to sort out the shock situation. Their website doesn't even have parts options for 2wd RCSB trucks.

In regards to the sway bar, would the Addco 631 kit be worth the $180? Or is there not much performance advantage over trying to get a Suburban/Tahoe bar and making it work? Looking at this: Sway bar kit on Summit.

Bump stop wise I am lost, Summit shows multiple parts, I don't even know what the stock ones looked like as they are completely gone.

Any advice on the wheel hop or whatever is happening there?

The front of the truck looks to be stock height right??
Old 08-13-2013, 09:00 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

Interested in some coilovers for the front? Check out the link in my sig, they ride great.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Hi Atomic,

That looks like a very interesting setup, but for now it is out of the question. Budget wise I just can't swing it. Looking for a bolt in and go deal, for all the issues I want to address, under $600. If things go well though I could see me going that route down the road!

I called Belltech today. P/N's they gave me claim they are for 2007+ on their website though? That might be right though given my truck is a regular cab, short bed, 2wd???

Anyone have any thoughts on the street performance versus the nitro drop 2s? The Belltech rep told me the nitro drops are more like stock and the street performance is stiffer. I like my vehicles to handle so I'll probably go street performance. P/Ns were 9541 for the street performance and 9141 for the nitro drop 2s. Can anyone confirm this?

Still wondering on how to address the wheel hop, and on the rear bump stops.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Belltech street performance shocks, they are pretty stiff but they do offer a good ride over all. If your truck has 250k+ miles and I'm assuming still has the stock shocks, anything will probably feel like an improvement. The only problem when asking about shocks is you will get different responses from nearly everyone, it really boils down to what you expect of them and of course how much money your willing to spend. As far as bump stops, my local dealer has them for $20 each. Wheel hop, I would look for worn out parts then maybe try spring clamps or a CalTracs?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Any reason to spend the extra $50 for the Belltech rear sway bar kit over the Addco? Both are 1" solid rear bars, am I missing anything?

Also will probably buy the Summitracing drop shackles. Seems even the local stores have them for $40-45ish, looking at placing my order for shocks, sway bar, and shackles through Summit.

Well if anyone has any input on the sway bar let me know.

Pretty much decided to go with the street performance shocks. I like to handle, but don't feel like getting too crazy with this thing. So won't be going any lower.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Well any last thoughts? Pulling the trigger tomorrow on parts purchases.

Looks like
Belltech part 9541, street performance shocks
Summit rear shackles
Addco 631 sway bar.

Any input? Anyone who added a rear bar, significant difference? The roads around me are very curvaceous, also I hate how the whole rear of the truck steps out of line on bumps.

Probably doesn't help that there is a receipt from the prior owner in the glove box that states SHOCKS $40
Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I have the new shackles installed. Shocks showed up today, didn't have a chance to put them in yet or the rear sway bar.

Still curious on bumpstops. Anyone make poly ones or anything? I swung into the dealership, almost $60 for two chunks of rubber. Looking for options here, but I'm tired of the axle hitting the frame.

I guess on the plus side I got two of the washer things that hold the lower plastic part to the front bumper while I was there. That made me happy knowing it was held up by all the parts now.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

I got some universal ones off summit for $8

Quick Reply: Looking for some suspension parts/advise