Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Mechanic in a bottle

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Sea Foam website

To clean built-up oil residues and contamination from the crank case, add 1½ oz. Sea Foam to each quart of engine oil. Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy residues and suspend contaminants for easy removal. Change oil and replace filter when dirty
Old 11-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by viciousknid
From Sea Foam website
You shouldn't get any smoke if you're using it in the crankcase. The smoking and driving aggressively is for when you're adding it to the vacuum lines.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flushing to much at one time may become a nightmare. To much slush going to the wrong place..
Old 11-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Honestly if it is that bad, I'd go buy the cheapest oil and cheapest filters I could find and change the oil every 500-1000 miles for a few times to try and clean it slowly, as mhotrod is probably right. Too much sludge trying to come out at once could gum up the oil pump and galleys.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Also from Seafoams website....

Cleaning Lifters and Oil RingsTo clean oil rings and lifters, add 1½ oz. Sea Foam to each quart of oil.
Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy the old oil varnish residue that builds up on lifters, rings and PCV valve systems that prevent them from functioning normally. This process can be done as part of a pre service cleaning by adding the Sea Foam to the oil at least 30 miles before the next oil change interval. OR it can be done as a preventative maintenance process without changing the oil. You can leave Sea Foam in the oil indefinitely as long as the oil is clean. The addition of a high-detergent oil like Sea Foam may cause the oil to become dirty faster than normal as built up oil residue and contamination are cleaned. Check the oil and filter at regular intervals and change when dirty. Results of this procedure may include increased vacuum, RPM's and compression.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

I think the oil maybe a regional brand. Not sure. I do live on a dirt road and run a open style intake. Wondering if that has something to do with it. Nobody has any experience with the actual engine flush product?
I've actually watched them change the oil and they drain, fill and filter. Just wondering if it's a crap filter too. If I should maybe supply my own?
Old 11-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by fun4me
Also from Seafoams website....

Cleaning Lifters and Oil RingsTo clean oil rings and lifters, add 1½ oz. Sea Foam to each quart of oil.
Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy the old oil varnish residue that builds up on lifters, rings and PCV valve systems that prevent them from functioning normally. This process can be done as part of a pre service cleaning by adding the Sea Foam to the oil at least 30 miles before the next oil change interval. OR it can be done as a preventative maintenance process without changing the oil. You can leave Sea Foam in the oil indefinitely as long as the oil is clean. The addition of a high-detergent oil like Sea Foam may cause the oil to become dirty faster than normal as built up oil residue and contamination are cleaned. Check the oil and filter at regular intervals and change when dirty. Results of this procedure may include increased vacuum, RPM's and compression.
Exactly, at least 30 miles = longer than a few minutes
Old 11-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by Tyglon
I think the oil maybe a regional brand. Not sure. I do live on a dirt road and run a open style intake. Wondering if that has something to do with it. Nobody has any experience with the actual engine flush product?
I've actually watched them change the oil and they drain, fill and filter. Just wondering if it's a crap filter too. If I should maybe supply my own?
Yes definitely, most oil change shops use the absolutely cheapest **** they can get their hands on
Old 11-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Teching In

That is 30 miles not 3000 miles. It will only take a few minutes to drive 30 miles
Old 11-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Wearin' da big hat

http://www.seafoamsales.com/using-in-crankcase-oil.html

We were both wrong,

As a pre service cleaner for old oil residue, sticky rings or valve train noise, pour 1 ½ ounces of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the engine oil crankcase for EACH quart of oil capacity, including filter. Drive a MINIMUM of 30 minutes/miles, MAXIMUM 100 miles, and then do your oil change service – Lube, Oil & Filter (LOF).

Quick Reply: Mechanic in a bottle