Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Mechanic in a bottle

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you guys read past the Bold area? Read again.

Originally Posted by fun4me
Also from Seafoams website....

Cleaning Lifters and Oil RingsTo clean oil rings and lifters, add 1½ oz. Sea Foam to each quart of oil.
Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy the old oil varnish residue that builds up on lifters, rings and PCV valve systems that prevent them from functioning normally. This process can be done as part of a pre service cleaning by adding the Sea Foam to the oil at least 30 miles before the next oil change interval. OR it can be done as a preventative maintenance process without changing the oil. You can leave Sea Foam in the oil indefinitely as long as the oil is clean. The addition of a high-detergent oil like Sea Foam may cause the oil to become dirty faster than normal as built up oil residue and contamination are cleaned. Check the oil and filter at regular intervals and change when dirty. Results of this procedure may include increased vacuum, RPM's and compression.
Just make sure you check the filter regularly as it gets dirty faster.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'll seafoam it and have it changed in a day or so. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:01 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyglon
The oil they use is trop arctic.
Sounds like a Orange Juice company...

If you use the SeaFoam, use it as directed, don't leave it in your crankcase for a whole oil change interval...30-100 miles as Scott posted...
Where's the Beef?

Don't have it changed at those jiffy lube type places. most dealerships have a good deal on an oil change.
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If you add it to clean oil then yes you can leave it until you go to change it, but adding it to dirty oil before changing it you must follow those guidelines.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tyglon
I think the oil maybe a regional brand. Not sure. I do live on a dirt road and run a open style intake. Wondering if that has something to do with it. Nobody has any experience with the actual engine flush product?
I've actually watched them change the oil and they drain, fill and filter. Just wondering if it's a crap filter too. If I should maybe supply my own?
When I was a outside sales rep for NAPA, I tried to get the oil filter business of a local quick lube. The owner showed me his invoice for oil filters. He paid $.80 each for the filters he was installing on customers cars. That was in 2005.Think about that the next time you pull up in one of the quick lubes & tell them you want the $14.95 special. Scary isnit.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Where's the Beef?

btw. trop arctic has been around for years. You can find commercials on youtube dating back to the 60's. Sams and walmart carry it.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:05 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

BTW, don't let one of those oil change places sell you their own crank case flush. I used to work at a place where we did that service and I can tell you first hand that it really didn't do **** for removing any major sludge. They run some heated mineral spirits through the crankcase (or probably something weaker now due to EPA standards), then install new oil and filter. I've visually inspected many engines after the service was done, and they're still full of sludge.

If an engine is extremely sludged, be careful running any solution through the crankcase as it could knock the sludge loose and it may end up clogging the oil pump pickup screen...I've seen this happen on engines that have overheated, which loosened sludge up which clogged the screen and hardened...just something to consider.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:10 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by viciousknid
btw. trop arctic has been around for years. You can find commercials on youtube dating back to the 60's. Sams and walmart carry it.
Trop Arctic OJ?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

So what brand of oil and filter do you recommend? I'd like to keep it in the relm of reality. Not paying $9 for a quart of oil.

Quick Reply: Mechanic in a bottle