Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Mirror compass/temp

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cowboy
I think it is, Im about to do it soon, I know the harness behind the grille for the sensor is there, the power for the mirror inside Im not sure about yet
did a quick search on google and found the pn 15047946. Not sure if its the correct one but the price is around the same range as what everyone has mentioned. $11.99 on gmpartsdirect.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stock48
Usually the trucks without power windows arn't wired for the comp/temp mirror. If you have power windows you should be good.
FUUUUUUUGGGGGG dont tell me that, I havent had a chance to check. will confirm.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stock48
Usually the trucks without power windows arn't wired for the comp/temp mirror. If you have power windows you should be good.
I was not aware of that. My truck does have power windows though. I would think that GM uses one wiring harness for all pick-ups regardless of options.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:04 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboJohn6
I was not aware of that. My truck does have power windows though. I would think that GM uses one wiring harness for all pick-ups regardless of options.
Not true. The trucks without power windows don't have the plug up in the headliner for the mirror. Not a big deal though you can just buy the pig tails and wire the mirror in. All you need is key power, ground, and run the wires to the temp sensor, I did that on my old S-10.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cant make it outside to check, watching my 2 and 1 yr old daughters. My mirror has a bunch of wires plugged in the back of it has the passenger airbag on/off light.

Just a thought does anyone have an Idea how high the temp reads on the display? It would be nice to have it read transmission temperature ....
Old 08-21-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

News not good so far checked and didnt see anything...will check once more tomorrow with more light. Does anybody have a full harness diagram to show wire color ID that they can post. I have the one that haynes has but bunch of stuff missing.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check over on gmfullsize. There were several people who did this recently.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the temp sensor in my 98 Burb. I found all the wires from the mirror in the passenger kick panel. I just ran a 2 wire cable from there to the sensor and hooked it up in the kick panel.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did this in my stepside, the harness was already in the headliner for the mirror, so just plug it in there. I read on several sites the wires were already ran to the location, but a no go as you are finding out. I then read somewhere else (sorry been a while and don't recall where) that it was ran to a plug just under the fuse box between it and the battery. Sure enough, I found a plug with a couple wires going in it, but not all going out. The one that didn't go out (want to say it was green for some reason) was the wire for the sensor. So connect it to that, and ground it and you should be good to go. I think the plug had 3 going in, and only 2 out.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah no luck with the harness I will check in the fuse box area. Waiting for the sensor anyways. Going to get a pretty good size storm here so it will have to wait.The storm is only because I just washed and waxed the truck.

Quick Reply: Mirror compass/temp