Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

misfires

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misfires

my transmission hasnt been acting right, i was to to scan for misfires. well i dont have a scan tool. i mentioned the truck stumbling, hesitating when in the throttle. today my tires were completely covered in mud, and i stomped it to sling it off and lay a bit of rubber. the truck just **** all over itself, it was ugly.wtf is going on, any ideas?
Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i changed the plugs and wires a few months ago,i guess i should add.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 307 Likes on 224 Posts

If you have a bad wire or if you dropped a plug and cracked it you could be getting an intermittent misfire which could cause some trans issues like converter locking and unlocking. A dirty MAF could also cause you to have some trans issues and poor engine performance.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you change the plugs and wires because of the misfire, or did the misfire happen afterwards? Are there any codes narrowing it down to certain cylinders or just random multiple misfires (P0300)? A scan tool is very helpful in this situation...
Old 09-24-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

I'm having similar issues that I've been fighting with since May. Scan shows misfires on cylinders 7 and 8. It has turned on the check engine light but only briefly showing the random misfire code. I cleaned MAF, cleaned throttle body, checked for vacuum leaks, changed plugs and wires which didn't fix the problem. Recently a mechanic at a GMC dealership suggest pulling the fuel rails and injectors to see if they are dirty. They didn't look real bad, so cleaned them with carb/throttle body cleaner. I put them back on but the injectors on 7 and 8 were moved to 4 and 5. Well now the misfires are occuring on 4 and 5.

I picked up a used set of injectors today and I'm going to swap them this weekend or early next week. I'm going to bring my injectors to a local shop to have them checked/serviced.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i changed them because i was getting hesitation under throttle, most of the wires were rusted to the plugs and just broke off. afterwards it seemed to have dont the trick.now its hesitating bad, i can put it in first creep up to and around 2000, and it just stumbles and farts and all over itself, you can hear it in the exhaust and feel it. in park revving it it doesnt seem to stumble at all, revs freely.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the torque converter isnt locking up,is my ptroblem with the transmission. i think it did once today, but it promptly unlocked.im sure its bad to be driving it around with it unlocked?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

The missfires are the cause of the torque converter not locking. Not real good on the trans since it will be making excess heat and it sure won't do your gas mileage any good.

Without a scan to tell which cylinders are getting the missfires it's all just a trial and error guessing game to determine the problem. Make sure and check your plug wires first to make sure one didn't come loose or get damaged. If all looks good there pull the plugs out and check each one. If they all look good I would probably start looking into the coil packs and the fuel system. Could be a bad coil, bad injector or bad fuel pressure regulator.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive got a misfire on cyl#5 . ill be checking out the plug and wire, dont really know how to test the coil, or for a bad injector. maybye a cleaning,for the injectors?i hope its just a cracked plug. thanks again guys
Old 09-30-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

plug looked fine. im going to swap a wire then coil off of my moms yukon. im just sick of driving it, it sounds and runs like ****, bout had a cement truck crawl up my ***, not fun.

Quick Reply: misfires