Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Mobil 1 no longer to be factory fill..

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 no longer to be factory fill..

PI0215: Oil Filler Cap Identification and Changes - (Aug 23, 2010)

Subject: Oil Filler Cap Identification and Changes

Models: 2011 Cadillac CTS-V, DTS, Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT, STS

2011 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette

Equipped with Engine VINs E, F, J, P, S, T, W, 4, 6 (RPOs L37, LSA, LAU, LD8, L37, L99, LS3, LS7, LS9)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following information may be helpful in identifying and avoiding unnecessary parts replacement at the time of Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI).

Condition/Concern
Technicians may notice during PDI that the oil filler cap on the 2011 vehicles no longer has the "Mobil 1®" logo printed on the cap.

Previous Design Oil Filler Cap

2519689.jpg

Revised 2011 Oil Filler Cap

2519692.jpg

Recommendations/Instructions
Important: DO NOT replace oil filler caps because they no longer display the Mobil 1® logo.

Starting with 2011 vehicle production, GM no longer specifies Mobil 1® as the required oil for the above vehicles. A new oil specification called Dexos I has been created, which a variety of synthetic and synthetic blend motor oils meet.

Note: For additional information on available Dexos 1 oils, please refer to PI0175.

• 2011 vehicles equipped with DOHC V6 engines (RPO LF1 and LLT) are no longer built with Mobil I logo caps. These vehicles should be serviced in accordance with the Dexos I standard.

• SRX models with the DOHC V6 (RPO LAU) engine used the "Mobil 1®" cap from the 2011 start of production to August 1, 2010.

• All Chevrolet Corvette and Camaro models along with the Cadillac DTS, CTS-V and Escalade models will continue to be built with the "Mobil 1®" style cap until November 2010.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

The license fee for the new GM oil Dexos 1 I hear is going to be big bucks. I also hear that Shell has said yes to GM to make the new oil. Exxon/Mobil has not committed yet. Pennzoil could be factory fill. We have to wait and see. I cannot see Exxon/Mobil not being a player...

Castrol and Valvoline said no to the license fee.

Last edited by dlstewart01; 08-29-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Well Exxon/Mobil is finally admitting to group three....They spin it well..

From Exxon/Mobil
A natural evolution of the formulation

The Mobil 1 formulation strategy has always been based on selecting the best components available. We now have the very high quality Group III+ base stock, ‘Visom’ exclusively available to ExxonMobil. As we developed the Mobil 1 ESP technology we found that combining Visom with PAO could deliver a formulation of equivalent performance to an all PAO formulation.

Competitive advantage

Visom is the only non-PAO stock that can deliver the required performance to formulate a 0W grade oil that meets European OEM engine oil specifications. Visom is not available to our competition.

To support Mobil 1 growth

Global PAO capacity is limited. As we quickly approach this limit, new base stocks must be explored to ensure we can support the continued growth of the Mobil 1 family of products.

To ensure continuity of supply

As we saw with the 2005 hurricane, the more flexibility we have in our formulations, the better placed we are to withstand disruption to our supply. We can balance PAO and Visom supply fluctuations to ensure we can always deliver the final product to our customers.

To maintain market relevant pricing

As PAO supply has tightened globally, raw material costs have increased substantially. In the future, an exclusively PAO formulation may be priced out of the market or result in significant margin erosion.

To prepare for next generation basestocks (GTL)

Commencing 2010, the next generation of base stocks derived from Natural Gas (Gas To Liquids) will enter the market. These high quality basestocks will arrive in substantial quantities and will probably be used in the majority of competitive premium formulations. Visom is viewed as a precursor of GTL, and hence it’s use now in our flagship formulations eases our transition to a GTL world, and helps us understand how to maintain flagship performance using these high quality non-PAO basestocks.

This should impact Amsoil with the price increase in PAO and a shortage. They buy their PAO base stock from Exxon. Amsoil has anounced a price increase to keep using PAO synthetic but sooner or later it will catch up with them and they will have to use group three in some form. I wonder how they will spin it.

The next two years will be interesting.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

#PI0175: Information for dexos 1 Synthetic Blend Engine Oil Usage for Topping Off or Change, Current Availability and Allowable Temporary Substitutes - (Jul 19, 2010)

Subject: Information for dexos 1™ Synthetic Blend Engine Oil Usage for Topping Off or Change, Current Availability and Allowable Temporary Substitutes

Models: 2011 Passenger Cars and Trucks (Excluding All Vehicles Equipped With Duramax™ Diesel Engines)

Attention: General Motors new engine oil specification dexos 1™ replaces both current General Motors specifications GM6094M and GM4718M.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following information may be helpful when encountering a vehicle with the condition as described in this PI.

Condition/Concern
• Owners of model year 2011 vehicles may be concerned about the availability of engine oil meeting the new dexos 1™ engine oil specification. This PI provides the necessary information as to what the vehicle owner or dealer service department should do if they need to add engine oil or change the engine oil in their new vehicle, until the availability of dexos 1™ engine oil becomes widespread.

For additional information refer to dexos 1™ Synthetic Blend Engine Oil Announcement - Customer Care and Aftersales Bulletin CCA10-129 (U.S.) or GMP2010-149 (Canada).

• GM has introduced the dexos 1™ engine oil specification because it offers several advantages over engine oils of previous specifications. These advantages include all of the following:

- A greater level of engine cleanliness.

- Additional wear protection.

- Improved aeration control.

- Improved corrosion protection.

- Increased fuel economy.

- Increased sludge control.

- dexos 1™ is backwards compatible to older vehicles and is a suitable oil for pre-2011 GM vehicles (excluding all vehicles equipped with Duramax™ diesel engines).

Recommendation/Instructions
• As the availability of dexos 1™ increases, GM highly recommends that owners switch to dexos 1™ as soon as is practical to conform with GM Powertrain warranty requirements.

• When dexos 1™ oil becomes available dealers should use their inventory of American Petroleum Institute (API) Certified for Gasoline Engines Starburst oils in vehicles that DO NOT require dexos 1™ oil.

• GM's acceptance of the use of substitute engine oils is temporary. The acceptability of non dexos 1™ engine oils will be discontinued when dexos 1™ oil availability is pervasive. GM recommends the following substitute engine oils as outlined per applicable vehicle:

Vehicles With Naturally - Aspirated Engines (Excluding Camaro SS with RPO LS3, Corvette, and CTS-V)
Note: Advise the customer to refer to their Owner Manual for more information.

To maintain proper engine oil level or to change the engine oil, substitute an engine oil identified on the label with the American Petroleum Institute (API) Certified for Gasoline Engines Starburst symbol as shown, with a viscosity grade of SAE 5W-30.

**Camaro SS with RPO LS3, Corvette, and CTS-V**

To maintain proper engine oil level or to change the engine oil, substitute an engine oil meeting the GM Standard of: GM4718M, also identified on the label with the American Petroleum Institute (API) Certified for Gasoline Engines Starburst symbol as shown, with a viscosity grade of SAE 5W-30.

Vehicles With Turbocharged (TC) Engines

To maintain proper engine oil level or to change the engine oil, substitute an engine oil meeting the GM Standard of: GM4718M, also identified on the label with the American Petroleum Institute (API) Certified for Gasoline Engines Starburst symbol as shown, with a viscosity grade of SAE 5W-30.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a bunch of crap.

oil is oil is oil
Old 08-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Banned

So they aren't going to factory fill them with mobil 1, but you can fill it with anything you want after you buy it......
Old 08-29-2010, 02:32 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crap, Amsoil is expensive as **** already, how much is it going to cost now? Does this mean that the price of all synthetic oil is going up too? What exactly is in this new package? I'm guessing that it's basically all about better fuel economy and protecting cat converters and O2 sensors. It claims:

A greater level of engine cleanliness.

But we'll see...sounds good, if the price tag isn't astronomical. It's getting to the point where it's going to cost more to change my oil than to overhaul my rear differential...
Old 08-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

im down for an oil that will give my engine more life!. especially ssince its turbo'ed!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

http://www.imakenews.com/eletra/mod_...M&uid=b1bmpjq9
Old 08-29-2010, 07:38 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Crap, Amsoil is expensive as **** already, how much is it going to cost now? Does this mean that the price of all synthetic oil is going up too? What exactly is in this new package? I'm guessing that it's basically all about better fuel economy and protecting cat converters and O2 sensors. It claims:

A greater level of engine cleanliness.

But we'll see...sounds good, if the price tag isn't astronomical. It's getting to the point where it's going to cost more to change my oil than to overhaul my rear differential...
When I had my lawn care business I created a commercial account with them. Last week I bought my oil for my next change. I think it was $7.07qt. Its gone up a little since I first started using it, but at $7 a qt, its no more than Mobil 1 is local. And its guaranteed for 25k miles, as are their filters. Their filters are $13 something for me.

IMO $55 for 25k miles isnt too bad. For comparison conventional Castrol and an AC Delco would be about $30, and youd have to change it 8 times in that 25k period.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 no longer to be factory fill..