Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Mobil 1 no longer to be factory fill..

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Does this mean that the price of all synthetic oil is going up too? What exactly is in this new package? I'm guessing that it's basically all about better fuel economy and protecting cat converters and O2 sensors. It claims:

A greater level of engine cleanliness.

- Additional wear protection.

- Improved aeration control.

- Improved corrosion protection.

- Increased fuel economy.

- Increased sludge control.

But we'll see...sounds good, if the price tag isn't astronomical. It's getting to the point where it's going to cost more to change my oil than to overhaul my rear differential...
I'm wondering that too, will all synthetics go up? I'd say fuel economy is numero uno.

Originally Posted by white1
When I had my lawn care business I created a commercial account with them. Last week I bought my oil for my next change. I think it was $7.07qt. Its gone up a little since I first started using it, but at $7 a qt, its no more than Mobil 1 is local. And its guaranteed for 25k miles, as are their filters. Their filters are $13 something for me.

IMO $55 for 25k miles isnt too bad. For comparison conventional Castrol and an AC Delco would be about $30, and youd have to change it 8 times in that 25k period.
Personally, it'd freak me out to go 25K between oil changes. In my head, even w/. Mobil 1, 5-10K is acceptable, w/. 10K even makin me a bit squeamish.

So, I guess price & who's gonna make this "new" oil is gonna concern DIY'ers.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even 10K is too dang much for any oil dont be cheap change that stuff
Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only time I will worry that GM is going too far with cost cutting on oil is when they stop putting oil in at all.....
Old 08-30-2010, 12:04 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Personally, it'd freak me out to go 25K between oil changes. In my head, even w/. Mobil 1, 5-10K is acceptable, w/. 10K even makin me a bit squeamish.

So, I guess price & who's gonna make this "new" oil is gonna concern DIY'ers.

I used to feel the same way. However, if Chevrolet, Mercedes, Range Rover etc can recommend 100k oil change intervals It must be ok.

I know an oil refinery in my area that did a lubricant test years back to decide if making the swap to synthetics was worth while. Where the conventional oils started to show signs of breakdown at a simulated 6000-7500 miles, even the cheapest synthetics were going strong at 75,000+ In fact one popular choice was 110,000 before showing any signs of breakdown.

I remember as a child the recommended interval was 5000 miles, IMO its the oil company's pushing the 3000 mile rule so youll buy more oil. Even using the computer suggested intervals in the 99+ trucks will usually net at least 5500 miles if not more.

I debated long and hard about stretching my intervals, however after talking to many people using a certain oil and sending it off and getting it analyed, I realized that by changing every 3000 miles is a waste. As is changing synthetic every 10000. IMO if youre scared to stretch your intervals, youre just throwing money away using synthetic. The advantages are slim to none if you change it every 3000 miles. In fact I know a certain person that would wait on his roommate to change his mobil one at 3000 miles, then use the used oil in his truck till his roommate changed his oil again

IMO the secret to oil longevity is keeping it clean!!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

what about us that burn a quart every 1,500
Old 08-30-2010, 01:33 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
what about us that burn a quart every 1,500
You lucky. You never have to change yours
Old 08-30-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

You lucky. You never have to change yours
haha. nice. my theory is the oil will outlast the filter. atleast change the filter and top it off every 5k imo
Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Some might call me out on this but being a mechanic I dont sweat it. I've ran amsoil and changed it at 25K miles for years in my stuff and not had any troubles. Use a amsoil filter and the extended change oil and all is well. I don't beat the **** out of it either. If you drive it hard you might want to change before the 25K mile mark though. My .02
Old 08-30-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to feel the same way. However, if Chevrolet, Mercedes, Range Rover etc can recommend 100k oil change intervals It must be ok.

I know an oil refinery in my area that did a lubricant test years back to decide if making the swap to synthetics was worth while. Where the conventional oils started to show signs of breakdown at a simulated 6000-7500 miles, even the cheapest synthetics were going strong at 75,000+ In fact one popular choice was 110,000 before showing any signs of breakdown.

I remember as a child the recommended interval was 5000 miles, IMO its the oil company's pushing the 3000 mile rule so youll buy more oil. Even using the computer suggested intervals in the 99+ trucks will usually net at least 5500 miles if not more.

I debated long and hard about stretching my intervals, however after talking to many people using a certain oil and sending it off and getting it analyed, I realized that by changing every 3000 miles is a waste. As is changing synthetic every 10000. IMO if youre scared to stretch your intervals, youre just throwing money away using synthetic. The advantages are slim to none if you change it every 3000 miles. In fact I know a certain person that would wait on his roommate to change his mobil one at 3000 miles, then use the used oil in his truck till his roommate changed his oil again

IMO the secret to oil longevity is keeping it clean!!
Don't u mean if Chevy, MB, RR, etc. can recommend 10k intervals , not 100k? Was that a mistake?

I agree 110% on the big bold red part. Oil co.'s are pushin that to sell more. I used to change synthetic at 5k, now I just let the DIC tell me. My bro however, used to want me to change his synthetic at 3k anyways. He's not hard on his vehicles either. I told him he was wasting $, even tho I make more off it. He finally just recently changed to 5k intervals after all these yrs.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Don't u mean if Chevy, MB, RR, etc. can recommend 10k intervals , not 100k? Was that a mistake?

I agree 110% on the big bold red part. Oil co.'s are pushin that to sell more. I used to change synthetic at 5k, now I just let the DIC tell me. My bro however, used to want me to change his synthetic at 3k anyways. He's not hard on his vehicles either. I told him he was wasting $, even tho I make more off it. He finally just recently changed to 5k intervals after all these yrs.
No. I meant 100k. The LS7 Z06 was 100k. I argued with my ex when she told me her bosses range rover and Mercedes SL500 were 100k and made her show me in the manual. It was 100k intervals use only mobil1

I would have never thought about going 25k till I had several acquaintances who use amsoil and get get theirs analyzed. At 25k they still got life at 25k. In my 08 I ran conventional till 10k (3 changes) went with amsoil till 25k and have 20k on the oil in there now. I change the filter when the change oil soon light comes on. At 50k I'm gonna change it with an amsoil filter and will change it again at 75k

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 no longer to be factory fill..