Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Modding and Warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Modding and Warranty??

What can I get by with on my new truck and not cause to much trouble?

I've already done a muffler swap.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

no tune....u can do a knn intake kit headers no,but im not really sure, cam no a good exhaust yes
Old 08-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!

my dealer/service manager said anything really, but if you have a tune and have a catatropic failure with anything in the drivetrain the tune will void that warranty
Old 08-02-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In other words stay stock if you want the warranty.A tune is a must for performance.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:02 AM
Launching!

Can you take the tune out if you go in for warranty work? Would they be able to tell that it was tuned before?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes they can tell if it has been tuned before. They can see the last time it was flashed and if it was anything outside of the factory date the dealership will consider that it has been tuned. There are a few on this site that have had the dealerships void parts of their warrenties.

Here is what I would consider safe for mods under warrenty.
Air Intake
Cat Back Exhaust (DO NOT TOUCH THE KITTIES)
and thats about it. Personally I feel anything more than that is just asking for warrenty hurassment.

Just keep in mind if something breaks the dealership has to prove that said mod caused said failure. That is where things get tricky. Most dealerships will try to void a warrenty for the simplest reason so they aren't held responsible down the road for possible repairs (weather its legit or not). There was a guy on here a few months back that the dealer was trying to void his ENTIRE warrenty because of a cam install. The reason he broght it in for warrenty work was something with a power window or power sunroof (i forget). Going by memory I think the dealership backed down and warrenied the issue.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:21 AM
formerly slow03 (11-04-2011)

Would there be a way to take out the factory pcm and put in a new one with the tune on it. Then if need to go to the dealership you could put the factory one in? Not sure but figured i'd ask
Old 08-02-2011, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slow03
Would there be a way to take out the factory pcm and put in a new one with the tune on it. Then if need to go to the dealership you could put the factory one in? Not sure but figured i'd ask
i asked around about this when i first bought my truck, and was basically informed that this is not the best idea. apparently, if the mileage in the pcm and the mileage on the odo don't match, you will have a big problem getting any warranty work done at all.

you could get the odo changed, but then they could see that it had been modified...

this is what i was told by a local (highly respected) tuner, and i cannot prove it to be true or false.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:01 AM
Man Motor club

Flash history has not yet been incorporated into the GM truck PCMs yet as of 2011. Only Global A vehicles (5th-gen Camaro, new Regal, etc) are able to be checked for past reflash history. The dealer is only able to view currently programmed parameters, not tunes that have been restored back to stock. For now they have no way of telling if your truck has been tuned and put back to stock or not.
See posts 32 and 35:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-479562/page4/
Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Flash history has not yet been incorporated into the GM truck PCMs yet as of 2011. Only Global A vehicles (5th-gen Camaro, new Regal, etc) are able to be checked for past reflash history. The dealer is only able to view currently programmed parameters, not tunes that have been restored back to stock. For now they have no way of telling if your truck has been tuned and put back to stock or not.
See posts 32 and 35:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-479562/page4/

So if I'm understanding you and the thread correctly I can go with a tune but if I have problems I need to flash it back to stock before taking it to the dealer correct?

Quick Reply: Modding and Warranty??