GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

My little 6.0 project

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:23 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 bright teal
he was planning on an 80e to begin with
in the 6th post he seemed surprised that it would only bolt up to an 80e. and it seems like he's looking for the best/cheapest deal and an 80e swap is not cheap...
Old 10-20-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Jeff.
dlt76028, ur partially right. I kinda jumped in to the build because it was a screaming deal. What I was told from the get-go is that the motor had "burnt valves" from possibly running propane. What I figure is I pick up some cheap heads maybe get them milled if necessary and put it in. I always had an 80e in mind because I've seen it holding behind an LQ4 for quite some time now. I bought the motor from a private seller, its not like I can rip it apart in his drive way and call him a liar or anything. On that note I also cant take it back and say hey ur a liar the motor had 2 bad head gaskets.

Back to my situation at hand. Im keeping the 6.0 for all else Ill get the ****** thing honed. No big deal. I've got an 80e lined up thats working with a converter. I know I need a different cross member right? driveshaft??

All else fails I also know someone willing to sell me a newer crank and pulley for a reasonable price. Really not a big deal. Its gonna take time, I didnt expect to put it in right away because Im gonna put a cam in it before it gets near the truck and with my stupid *** and lead foot the 60e is gonna be in shambles. I'd like to sell a working trans and put some money back in my pocket.

Anyone know of machine shops in AZ?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8

i know a lot of machine shops. i work in one. but they are not the type that have anything to do w/ honing or any engine work for that matter. mostly aerospace and fabrication shops. there is arizona speed and machine just down the street from my shop. my boss had his heads done there and a few other things. the place is a dump and the guy takes a while to get stuff done but i think he has pretty good prices.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:20 AM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Thanks Jeff.
dlt76028, ur partially right. I kinda jumped in to the build because it was a screaming deal. What I was told from the get-go is that the motor had "burnt valves" from possibly running propane. What I figure is I pick up some cheap heads maybe get them milled if necessary and put it in. I always had an 80e in mind because I've seen it holding behind an LQ4 for quite some time now. I bought the motor from a private seller, its not like I can rip it apart in his drive way and call him a liar or anything. On that note I also cant take it back and say hey ur a liar the motor had 2 bad head gaskets.

Back to my situation at hand. Im keeping the 6.0 for all else Ill get the ****** thing honed. No big deal. I've got an 80e lined up thats working with a converter. I know I need a different cross member right? driveshaft??

All else fails I also know someone willing to sell me a newer crank and pulley for a reasonable price. Really not a big deal. Its gonna take time, I didnt expect to put it in right away because Im gonna put a cam in it before it gets near the truck and with my stupid *** and lead foot the 60e is gonna be in shambles. I'd like to sell a working trans and put some money back in my pocket.

I gave you my friends number before and he offered to help. You should give him a call.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Low_LQ4
I gave you my friends number before and he offered to help. You should give him a call.
yeah I was actually just about to call Brent. Maybe if its gonna be on the cheap side I'll price pistons and what not.....
might as well go big or go home if Im gonna have to have the block at a machine shop for a little while huh?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

yeah I was actually just about to call Brent. Maybe if its gonna be on the cheap side I'll price pistons and what not.....
might as well go big or go home if Im gonna have to have the block at a machine shop for a little while huh?
Yep Get it done and dont look back.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:43 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about the internals on that thing. You're on the right track to pull it apart at this point to have everything checked out. It's gonna cost you several hundred dollars for new bearings, new rings, gaskets, head bolts, etc, just so you're aware, but at the end you'll have a nice good condition engine to work with.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:03 AM
TECH Junkie

so I should replace EVERYTHING, despite it was 'only' a head gasket?

I say 'only' cuz it seems like a real minor problem with the damage done to the motor, how little it seems. But despite it looks only skin deep should I drop the pan and everything and take a good look at the crank and all? I understand it'd probly be better to just do it all and not worry about it.

I guess Im just being a bitch about it cuz I dont wanna go in to a COMPLETE build, haha looks like Im already there tho right?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:23 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if you're gonna hone the cylinders you'll have to pull the rods and pistons at a minimum, likely have to pull the crank too, which means new main bolts and bearings, new rod bolts and bearings, and new rings. Basically a complete teardown and rebuild. If you can get away without doing any machine work on the block it will be much less expensive.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

haha unless u've got some magic secret to getting some **** out of the cylinders Im all ears.. Dad tells me if I re-ring the pistons I need it honed anyway or its gonna burn oil. Or if I dont hone it and leave the junk in the walls its gonna burn oil. I'd prefer to have a motor I can flog on all day and not worry about anything.
Any idea if theres a kit for rod bolts, crank bolts, etc? I can probly pick out piston rings, and bearings. The rings I found from TSP were 180 roughly

Quick Reply: My little 6.0 project