Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

My little 6.0 project

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Just curious what brand bearings you bought???
Old 11-30-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude I wish you lived closer to me, no one down here has a 3rd gen project going. the guy who is selling the v2 up there is giving a good deal on it, though the heads he has should be ported to support the cam. they are 241 heads if I remember right with a double spring kit on them. if there is a good shop around that does good porting I would pick that up that setup and get them ported and milled to match the flow and compression needs of that cam. look around for deals, e-bay and craigslist are your friends, especially in phx. i paid about 450 out of pocket for my 6.0 short block with all new seals and gaskets including new head gaskets and bolts.

on a side not get a real project thread going in the projects section, I almost didn't find this.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Just curious what brand bearings you bought???
Clevite 77s
Old 12-03-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lsx10
dude I wish you lived closer to me, no one down here has a 3rd gen project going. the guy who is selling the v2 up there is giving a good deal on it, though the heads he has should be ported to support the cam. they are 241 heads if I remember right with a double spring kit on them. if there is a good shop around that does good porting I would pick that up that setup and get them ported and milled to match the flow and compression needs of that cam. look around for deals, e-bay and craigslist are your friends, especially in phx. i paid about 450 out of pocket for my 6.0 short block with all new seals and gaskets including new head gaskets and bolts.

on a side not get a real project thread going in the projects section, I almost didn't find this.

haha me too, u seem to know ur **** and can do metal work and what not. However, I paid 400 for my motor, everything including accessories.. granted 2 bad head gaskets but its about 70 bux to fix it (if the heads appear clean.) And then 400 for my 4L80e.
Haha, yeah I didnt think about putting this in the projects section... I didnt think it was up to magnitude for it

However, little up date. Rings are being shipped, blocks going to the shop on friday, heads are getting looked at and then its just a matter of ordering a Wheatley tune and then swapping
Getting antsy in my pantsy. My current theory is to keep it how it is now (9.5 cr), swap my current cam and springs and rods in. Give her hell and see how she does on a Wheatley tune. Later when I get the money and itch Ill slap some 243s on it if not get them worked for 11cr and then a bigger cam.. Still jonesin for an MS3 or 4. Ill post pics and more excitement on Friday
Old 12-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
Clevite 77s
The P series???
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
However, little up date. Rings are being shipped, blocks going to the shop on friday, heads are getting looked at and then its just a matter of ordering a Wheatley tune and then swapping
Getting antsy in my pantsy. My current theory is to keep it how it is now (9.5 cr), swap my current cam and springs and rods in. Give her hell and see how she does on a Wheatley tune. Later when I get the money and itch Ill slap some 243s on it if not get them worked for 11cr and then a bigger cam.. Still jonesin for an MS3 or 4. Ill post pics and more excitement on Friday

I wouldn't go for that big of a cam yet, try picking up a hotcam kit, they can be found for around 200-250 for cam and springs, or find a good used cam off here or tech. either way, try a small or medium cam before you go to something like a donkey dick 3 or 4.

I really havent done all that much, but I have been told that I'm rather mechanically inclined and I read up on this stuff alot. The wife is always calling me a nerd for it. My truck is actually my first project that will be getting done, I had a one in highschool that I never had money for, then a bike I never got running, and my current daily I gave up on. granted all of these died for reasons, but none the less they were never completed.

as far as your build not being enough for a project thread, you the name of your build is my little 6.0 project
Old 12-03-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

lol^^^
Old 12-03-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
The P series???
If P stands for performance then yes!
PN: CB-663HN
Originally Posted by lsx10
I wouldn't go for that big of a cam yet, try picking up a hotcam kit, they can be found for around 200-250 for cam and springs, or find a good used cam off here or tech. either way, try a small or medium cam before you go to something like a donkey dick 3 or 4.

I really havent done all that much, but I have been told that I'm rather mechanically inclined and I read up on this stuff alot. The wife is always calling me a nerd for it. My truck is actually my first project that will be getting done, I had a one in highschool that I never had money for, then a bike I never got running, and my current daily I gave up on. granted all of these died for reasons, but none the less they were never completed.

as far as your build not being enough for a project thread, you the name of your build is my little 6.0 project
haha, thanks man rip me apart some more
Anyway, my Lunati 221 is going in from my 4.8 to the 6.0 and the Wheatley will be tuned for such. Im definitely gonna be looking for a lopier cam atleast, but I like what I've seen from the 'donkey dick' 3
Its all gonna be in the future and Im gonna stop putting that pressure on the 'get the F-in motor in!' theory. 10.5 or 11:1 CR is for certain.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Dont worry, youve done the research. if wheatly says he will tune it i say do it!
You will hate yourself a few months down the road when you find you want to go bigger
Old 12-04-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

my Lunati 221 is going in from my 4.8 to the 6.0 and the Wheatley will be tuned for such.
didn't see that part. in that case i'm with you on the idea of using that. I would look into just getting your heads milled instead of getting 243's they flow the same, and you should be able to get them down enough to get at least 10:1 and maybe better. most any good machine shop should only charge you 100 to get them milled, and you would want to anyways to make sure they have a true surface. search tech and you should be able to find out how much you would have to mill to get them to 10:1-11:1, or have them cc'd and you can find a compression calculator to do it yourself.

Quick Reply: My little 6.0 project