Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

My little 6.0 project

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 bright teal
Dont worry, youve done the research. if wheatly says he will tune it i say do it!
You will hate yourself a few months down the road when you find you want to go bigger
tell me about it, I have a feeling the bigger motor is gonna eat some of the duration so it wont lump as hard. All well, tuned I should be kinda happy haha
Originally Posted by lsx10
didn't see that part. in that case i'm with you on the idea of using that. I would look into just getting your heads milled instead of getting 243's they flow the same, and you should be able to get them down enough to get at least 10:1 and maybe better. most any good machine shop should only charge you 100 to get them milled, and you would want to anyways to make sure they have a true surface. search tech and you should be able to find out how much you would have to mill to get them to 10:1-11:1, or have them cc'd and you can find a compression calculator to do it yourself.
Thats a good idea. I was going to have my machine shop check them on friday anyway. my only concern is I want aluminum cuz its lighter but do you think it'll be that big of a difference if Im running 11:1?
Old 12-04-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aluminum would be better if you can pick them up, lose some wight and gain some power out of it. but you can pick up 317 heads for alot cheaper then 243 heads. I only have 243 heads because I was going to put them on my 5.3 that ended up being a boat anchor. since I have them i'm going to use them, look on tech and craigslist for a set, you can pick them up for around $200 shipped. stock 243's would run you $400. you can usually find ported 241's(would be better then the stock 243's) for between $500-$600
Old 12-05-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lsx10
aluminum would be better if you can pick them up, lose some wight and gain some power out of it. but you can pick up 317 heads for alot cheaper then 243 heads. I only have 243 heads because I was going to put them on my 5.3 that ended up being a boat anchor. since I have them i'm going to use them, look on tech and craigslist for a set, you can pick them up for around $200 shipped. stock 243's would run you $400. you can usually find ported 241's(would be better then the stock 243's) for between $500-$600
Yeah, Im about to see what Cylinder Heads Direct will price me, plus the core exchange for my useless 863s

UPDATE:
Motor is in pieces and out to Action Speed and Machine cool guys, BS'd a little and he gave me his thoughts and input. 863s are now useless, turns out the valves are sunken... cant believe I didnt catch it So Im not even gonna go thru the hassle of finding out if they're cracked or not under. So 243s here I come. Block will be about 2 weeks worst case and Im having him polish up the crank as well. Need some main bearings and a few gaskets then she's good to seal up
Couple pistons are actually a little hard to move in the wrist pin so Im gonna try and clean em up right now and hope for good news. Wish me luck, its comin together!
Old 12-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Good luck keep us updated.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Import Moderator

I didnt read through the whole thread but I thought at one time you said your gonna get the block honed... dont you plan to just buy new pistons/rods??

Great project you have going though. Bummer about the think needing completely redone but I think youll find that for everything you got... $400 wasnt all THAT bad.. hell ive seen 6.0 blocks that need honed go for $400 themselves.

Just to ballpark it for ya

Degrease Special $120
Bore Hone 8 Cyl $175
Check Block $45
Clean Mag Polish $55
Balance Assembly $200
Hone Rods $20
Tax $40
Old 12-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Import Moderator

Also maybe PM Redsled579 if you need a set of heads... he has some 317s he just got back from machine shop hes trying to get rid of I think because hes gonna go with PP 243s instead. Hes a good buddy of mine
Old 12-05-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by beastmode
I didnt read through the whole thread but I thought at one time you said your gonna get the block honed... dont you plan to just buy new pistons/rods??

Great project you have going though. Bummer about the think needing completely redone but I think youll find that for everything you got... $400 wasnt all THAT bad.. hell ive seen 6.0 blocks that need honed go for $400 themselves.

Just to ballpark it for ya

Degrease Special $120
Bore Hone 8 Cyl $175
Check Block $45
Clean Mag Polish $55
Balance Assembly $200
Hone Rods $20
Tax $40
yeah just like anything else really it wouldn't go without a hitch. I actually cleaned up the pistons and rods and got them all moving freely (about 3 were kinda gunked up in the wrist pin) and there was a LOT of sludge in the oil pan and underside. Got it all taken care of. Guy at the shop is taking and honing out the block with the ball hone, then running it thru the machine, then hes just gonna polish the crank for me. Told me it wont be over $100. He says 40 for the crank, and 60 for the block. He said over the phone after I left 90 somethin but said not over 100. So hopefully.
I got most of the pistons cleaned up, about 3 had the compression rings stuck so Im letting some WD-40 work and hopefully, just maybe I will get them out sunday. So far so good, only time now
Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
Yeah, Im about to see what Cylinder Heads Direct will price me, plus the core exchange for my useless 863s

UPDATE:
Motor is in pieces and out to Action Speed and Machine cool guys, BS'd a little and he gave me his thoughts and input. 863s are now useless, turns out the valves are sunken... cant believe I didnt catch it So Im not even gonna go thru the hassle of finding out if they're cracked or not under. So 243s here I come. Block will be about 2 weeks worst case and Im having him polish up the crank as well. Need some main bearings and a few gaskets then she's good to seal up
Couple pistons are actually a little hard to move in the wrist pin so Im gonna try and clean em up right now and hope for good news. Wish me luck, its comin together!
Did you mean 853 corvette heads or 862 truck heads???
Old 12-06-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

sorry man, you could also look into getting a set of 5.3 heads and get them ported. keep up the progress, and start a damn project thread!
Old 12-06-2008, 01:22 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
yeah just like anything else really it wouldn't go without a hitch. I actually cleaned up the pistons and rods and got them all moving freely (about 3 were kinda gunked up in the wrist pin) and there was a LOT of sludge in the oil pan and underside. Got it all taken care of. Guy at the shop is taking and honing out the block with the ball hone, then running it thru the machine, then hes just gonna polish the crank for me. Told me it wont be over $100. He says 40 for the crank, and 60 for the block. He said over the phone after I left 90 somethin but said not over 100. So hopefully.
I got most of the pistons cleaned up, about 3 had the compression rings stuck so Im letting some WD-40 work and hopefully, just maybe I will get them out sunday. So far so good, only time now
Try this stuff called PB Blaster Its supposed to penitrate real well. If you end up needing some stock LQ4 Pistons LMK.

Quick Reply: My little 6.0 project