Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

My Tahoe was struck by lightning!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your wife is A OK. How bout pic of the place on the tahoe the lightning struck?
Old 07-31-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

That is CRAZY. Glad she's okay.

We had a nasty storm up here one night, about five years ago. I opened the side door to our house, turned on the light switch to call in a pet. Right then, the pole in front of our house got it. I got a nasty jolt from my hand on the light switch to my hand on the door ****. No burns or anything, but my forearms were very tight and cramped for about 10-15 minutes. I had that "battery taste" in my mouth - like when you touch a 9V battery on your tongue to see if it's still good. Freaked me out.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Another one...

This is longer back... I was about 18, driving home from a burnout contest in downtown Worcester. (local city). A severe storm came through, that send everyone at the show scattering. It was a hot summer night. Very muggy out.

So I'm in my '70 Olds with three friends. It's pouring with hail mixed in. I had to drive real slow because the defroster didn't work for crap. We get about 10 minutes away and it just flat out STOPS raining. We all look at each other, like WTF? We roll down all the windows to get some air in the car.

So we're still putting along because the windshield is lightly hazed over. We're riding on the edge of a lake in a well lit part of the city, just spacing out. Nobody is saying anything. Radio off. A bolt of lightning comes out of nowhere (like you see them coming?), and hits the pole diagonal to the car. When it hit, the lightning went down the pole, but also across some wires that crossed the street. IT looked just like "back to the future" or whatever. It was scary as hell.

All we saw was the blue/white "bolt" of the lightning with the blinding white flash, the deafening electrical CRACK, sparks dropping, and then everything was pitch black except for our cars lights. I look over at my friend - he's literally got his head between his knees, trying to crouch on the foor of the passenger side. My friend in the back seat dove to the other side of the seat. I just remember ducking to the console area. I was still rolling along at about 25-30mph, but I had little control of the car because I was so disoriented. It was like getting a camera flash in your face while driving at night. We had to pull over for a few minutes to collect our wits. It was something we'll never forget.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:39 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, you can't win for losing lately man. Just remember that everything happens for a reason! We don't always know what the reason is, but I'm sure that everything will work out just fine.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:13 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I'm glad she is OK. Hang in there man. God only give us what we can handle.

I thought this was one of those things that couldn't happen!? Rubber tires being an insulator and all. Scary stuff.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

It can ... but just as it should have, the rubber insulated her therefore she wasn't harmed. Of course all the sensitive electrical componants would be toast with that kinda of flash running through them (it hitting the radio anteanna) and getting into the electrical system from there.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:19 AM
I Like Gold!!!

good luck with the tahoe .
Old 08-03-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty common
Glad the wife is OK
Do you have rental on your policy - If you do
This would be a comp loss and rental would be in order.
If you dont - get it - it is cheap
Old 08-03-2004, 01:18 PM
Launching!

had this **** happen to me...driving dads s-10 right were the daniel boone parkway juncs into 15 .......anyhow im just past there on 15 its looks like rain but hasnt started yet and BOOM BITCH.....thought i was dead or something and the bright light was there for me. then its over. truck dies and coast on the sholder. get out and smoke comming from the roof....made a black spot wich wiped off( damn it was hot too). only damage it done was burnt half the bulbs out in the dash and the left headlight rest was fine.....started it up drove off to walmart and got a headlight.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an update for yall. Pretty much got it all sorted out....$5000.00 dollars later Lightning doesnt play, it took out every module and control unit on the truck

Quick Reply: My Tahoe was struck by lightning!!!