Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

My truck is falling apart!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My truck is falling apart!

alright guys my truck has 160,000 on the ticker and I noticed that I had a loud 'click' if you will when I take off from a light or stop sign...this would only usally happen if I took off aggressivly(I dont mean hole shot or anything but just putting the spurs to her)...and recently it was another noise like a u joint...while driving the noise would get louder and faster the faster I went...but it would only do the noise while under a 'load'

well I just took my truck to a repair shop to see about getting the u-joints changed(dont have time to do it myself) and he said that they are fine but the noise is coming from the trans...to drop it he said it would be 600 and the whatever else is wrong with it of course yada yada yada....

ever since I got it tho, when the clutch is engaged you can hear a growl(like a dragging bearing or something)and when u disengage it, it goes away...my big question is am I gonna open a can of worms here or should I just buy another used 5 speed?...I dont know what to do...

among other things he was telling me my idler and pitman arm are shot, rear shocks are bad and serpt. belt is bad and my SES light is on also...I knew about that **** but it just makes me ...

I do have access to a lift so I can change the trans on my own and whatnot so I guess it just depends on how much for the new one or to have this one replaced...how hard is it to drop one of these guys???...

Thanks
Old 05-16-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a T56 out of a F-Body and get your 6 speed on
Old 05-16-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZZebes
Find a T56 out of a F-Body and get your 6 speed on
Id love to man...but I cant keep it a 4x4 with the T56 correct?...if I can without much hard work that will be the way I go
Old 05-16-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

The howling sounds like a bad throw-out (release) bearing.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:54 PM
SPAM HUNTER

Originally Posted by JakeBrakeIH
Id love to man...but I cant keep it a 4x4 with the T56 correct?...if I can without much hard work that will be the way I go
You can...someone on here has done it...just do some searching...but yeah (dave) get your T-56 on!

Dustin
Old 05-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Launching!

are you sure its a growl and not just the normal sound of the clutch?

One thing i could think of, off the top of my head is if your on the orig. clutch/flywheel your pilot bearing could be goin bad.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by s3gulit
are you sure its a growl and not just the normal sound of the clutch?

One thing i could think of, off the top of my head is if your on the orig. clutch/flywheel your pilot bearing could be goin bad.
yeah after thinking and driving the truck around some more Im kinda thinkin that the clutch flywheel assy is prolly bad...and maybe that my clutch maybe cracked or something and might be making that click noise when I take off???...prolly clutch will next on the list...any suggestions on clutchs???
Old 05-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

Just get some duct tape and visegrips.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Ah man...welcome to the 8 year old truck party. I have issues that go pages deep, although nothing serious yet. I'm at similar mileage too. My shocks are dead, have a bent factory wheel, fuel gauge is messed cuz of sender or float, need new front brakes, bad 4x4 switch, i hear a noise from my dash when i accelerate at low speeds (must be something broken that flies around during engine vacuum), shift clunk, a noisy slip yoke or bad universal or combo, blown speaker, I hear a clicking like a fan rubbing in the engine bay when I take off at low speed. Oh, and my torque converter makes a vibration at times when I push the throttle harder in OD at highway speeds.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might check the ring gear for the sound under load. Mine did that when I had a broken tooth. I wasn't sure what it was until a couple weeks later when I broke a few more, then it was really clanking! Mine is a 2000 as well, and the A/C isn't working and it's mid 90's now. Always something. It's a pain in the ***, but I still love the truck enough to keep fixing it. Good luck dude.

Quick Reply: My truck is falling apart!