Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

NA Trucks - Who runs a wideband?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NA Trucks - Who runs a wideband?

I'm trying to decide if it will be beneficial for me to run a wideband on my NA 5.3. This engine will never see boost but I do have a Nelson mail order tune that I could send in AFR log information to help tweek my tune (I think). I can't/won't be doing my own tuning so it won't help me much there...

Does it make sense to run a wideband on a NA engine? Has anyone sent in AFR data to improve a Nelson mail order tune? Good idea? Waste of money?

I don't know a ton about it, just trying to get opinions...

I was looking at the PLX DM-6 combo package, replacing my stock O2 with the wideband and tying it back into the ECM. They have good instructions, doesn't look too difficult.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a AEM in the piller,even without juice or forced induction,the A/F ratio will tell you whats going on.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I run an autometer wideband one of the gauges u should have no matter what application
Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I run a LC1 wideband. My very first mod was efilive, second was a wideband. It have died a couple of times over the last 4 years and when it does i feel naked without it.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it surely wont hurt to have it..
ive ran one with boost, nitrous, and N/A. its nice to keep an eye on it.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I will use it. If I am monitoring my AFR, will it change my driving habits (similar to monitoring vacuum or throttle position)? Or if I see something undesirable, could I potentially change something to fix it? Since I can't/won't be tuning, I guess that would require me to contact Nelson to let him know I'm running lean/rich in certian scenarios.

Right now I run a Scan Gauge and monitor different things, MAP, Instant MPG, sometimes RPM or water temp or trans temp... And I see the benefit of a wideband for logging and tuning, I'm still looking for a daily usage benefit.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dont try to justify it.. just get it..
Old 03-28-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Dont try to justify it.. just get it..
this is what's going to happen anyway.... Just trying to figure out how people use them, what they do with them. General knowledge of their engine operation I guess...

I'm hoping that something important will come out of this... something like this...

"Oh man I'm so glad I'm running that wideband.... I was able to data log and Nelson tweaked my tune, now I get 10 extra MPG AND 35 more Horses!! Oh thank god for widebands..."

Then later...
"I would not have noticed that my *enter important part here* started to fail, but my wideband starting showing I was a bit rich, so I ran some injector cleaner and boom, right back to perfect stoich"
Old 03-28-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KC_kid
this is what's going to happen anyway.... Just trying to figure out how people use them, what they do with them. General knowledge of their engine operation I guess...

I'm hoping that something important will come out of this... something like this...

"Oh man I'm so glad I'm running that wideband.... I was able to data log and Nelson tweaked my tune, now I get 10 extra MPG AND 35 more Horses!! Oh thank god for widebands..."

Then later...
"I would not have noticed that my *enter important part here* started to fail, but my wideband starting showing I was a bit rich, so I ran some injector cleaner and boom, right back to perfect stoich"

only way Nelson is gonna beable to tweak the log is if you have HP tuners also, this way you can log the truck, send him the log, he can then see what the trucks doing then return a new tune to you. telling him what your afrs are wont do any good, having a wideband is important rather it be NA Nitrous or Boost, simple reason being you can keep a eye on the air fuel ratios making sure you dont spike or dont have enough or have to much fuel. its a tuning tool but in the same sense its a tool needed to keep your engine in check., it'll make your car run better, idle better and run smoother if its properly tuned by a wideband!