GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Need help, 2500HD airbag pics for steering wheel swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, 2500HD airbag pics for steering wheel swap

Hello,

I am currently working on a c6 steering wheel swap in to my 2000 GMC Jimmy. The vettes multistage airbag will not work. I acquired an s10 airbag and took it apart also, its too big to fit into the vette wheel center section. If someone has a new 2500HD can you pull the airbag off and measure the width across the back of the igniter plate and the width of the back of the unit. I would be very appreciative. For some reason the 2500HD was kept a single stage bag unit. Ive included pics of the parts and a link to my thread which also notes am ls1tech wheel swap.

Here is a link to my wheel swap thread.
corvette steering wheel swap R&D - S-10 Forum

unit in the middle is the vette igniter minus airbag, to the right is what it all fits in to and the s10 airbag and igniter on the far left.

Ive put 4 lines of where I would like measurements if someone can do this I am greatful.
Attached Thumbnails Need help, 2500HD airbag pics for steering wheel swap-measurements.png  
Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Launching!

43 views and not one "I gotcha man".
Old 05-04-2013, 09:09 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What year of truck do you want the info from?
Old 05-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Launching!

06-up, it seems to have a smaller airbag if you got one sir. If you happen to have 05-down as long as its not 2002 or so, those measurements could be helpful also.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:02 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have any of those around right now. If I get one in, I'll let you know.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Launching!

thank you!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Just change the connector on your column to one that will fit the high stage on the vette airbag and as long as the SIR lamp goes off you are good to go. You are in uncharted water where you are going to have to do the R&D and see what will and what won't work.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Just change the connector on your column to one that will fit the high stage on the vette airbag and as long as the SIR lamp goes off you are good to go. You are in uncharted water where you are going to have to do the R&D and see what will and what won't work.
I am doing R&D, the 2500HD hooks up to the SIR computers stage 1, not the high stage 2. Im getting there slowly, just don't want to put a lot of cashola in to airbags that cant be used, hench asking for the measurements. Thanks for your input.

Might give the stage 1 a shot, not sure yet. If only I could find some who would be willing to crash.

Name:  20062500HD_zpsdfe79c2d.png
Views: 156
Size:  55.1 KB
Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

As per gm book sequence of operation for 06 vette
DUAL STAGE INFLATOR MODULES

Dual stage inflator modules contain a housing, inflatable air bag, 2 initiating devices, canister of gas generating material and, in some cases, stored compressed gas. The 2 initiators are part of the inflator module deployment loop. The inflator modules have 2 stages of deployment, which varies the amount of restraint to the occupant according to the collision severity. For moderate frontal collisions, the inflator modules deploy at less than full deployment which consists of stage 1 of the inflator module. For more severe frontal collisions, a full deployment is initiated which consists of stage 1 and stage 2 of the inflator module. When the vehicle is involved in a collision of sufficient force, the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) will cause current to flow through the deployment loops to the initiator. Current passing through the initiator ignites the material in the canister producing a rapid generation of gas and the release of compressed gas, if present. The gas produced from this reaction rapidly inflates the air bag. Once the air bag is inflated, it quickly deflates through the air bag vent holes.

Each dual stage inflator module is equipped with a shorting bar located on the connectors of the module. The shorting bar shorts the inflator module deployment loop circuitry to prevent unwanted deployment of the air bag when it is disconnected.

Plug the connector into whatever plug it fits into IF the Sir lamp goes off the airbag will function but at a reduced force level than that of the bag currently in your truck. Airbags are the one place I DO NOT recommend mixing and matching inflator modules get it wrong and you will kill yourself. Not from a bag not working but from a airbag cover disintegrating due to the incorrect module behind it.

Air bag not functioning no big deal we drove cars for years without airbags but if the inflator module you use is not a vette module and you try to make it work with the vette cover the module/bag assembly could have a completely different bag deployment style than the vette airbag cover is designed to work with resulting in a catastrophic failure inches from your face.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
As per gm book sequence of operation for 06 vette
DUAL STAGE INFLATOR MODULES

Dual stage inflator modules contain a housing, inflatable air bag, 2 initiating devices, canister of gas generating material and, in some cases, stored compressed gas. The 2 initiators are part of the inflator module deployment loop. The inflator modules have 2 stages of deployment, which varies the amount of restraint to the occupant according to the collision severity. For moderate frontal collisions, the inflator modules deploy at less than full deployment which consists of stage 1 of the inflator module. For more severe frontal collisions, a full deployment is initiated which consists of stage 1 and stage 2 of the inflator module. When the vehicle is involved in a collision of sufficient force, the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) will cause current to flow through the deployment loops to the initiator. Current passing through the initiator ignites the material in the canister producing a rapid generation of gas and the release of compressed gas, if present. The gas produced from this reaction rapidly inflates the air bag. Once the air bag is inflated, it quickly deflates through the air bag vent holes.

Each dual stage inflator module is equipped with a shorting bar located on the connectors of the module. The shorting bar shorts the inflator module deployment loop circuitry to prevent unwanted deployment of the air bag when it is disconnected.

Plug the connector into whatever plug it fits into IF the Sir lamp goes off the airbag will function but at a reduced force level than that of the bag currently in your truck. Airbags are the one place I DO NOT recommend mixing and matching inflator modules get it wrong and you will kill yourself. Not from a bag not working but from a airbag cover disintegrating due to the incorrect module behind it.

Air bag not functioning no big deal we drove cars for years without airbags but if the inflator module you use is not a vette module and you try to make it work with the vette cover the module/bag assembly could have a completely different bag deployment style than the vette airbag cover is designed to work with resulting in a catastrophic failure inches from your face.
I just asked for some measurements. I see what your saying, and I think about those variables. I am just asking for some numbers.

Quick Reply: Need help, 2500HD airbag pics for steering wheel swap