Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Need Help Finding a TSB...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:12 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Help Finding a TSB...

Hey folks...since my truck is now sitting outside and was covered in snow which was melting and collecting in the cab, I figured it was time to do a little research before I started tearing my interior apart and looking for the water leak. So after googling "1999 Chevrolet Silverado Water Leak", I found out that there actually is a TSB in reference to this...turns out that it is the most evasive TSB that I've ever encountered. I went through the entire list of TSB's on my AllData account and it isn't there. Kept googling and came up with the TSB number and description numerous times, but that's it...no TSB, no info, no clue where the water is entering or how to remedy it If anybody has a copy of this TSB I'd greatly appreciate it, here's the info:

TSB# 990864013 (may be listed like this: 99-08-64-013)

NHTSA Number: 607571

TSB Date: August 1, 1999

Failing Component: Structure:Body

Summary: Some owners may comment on wet carpet or water leaking into the passenger compartment near the lower opening of either front door.

Not sure if I'm missing something in my search or if this repair is just a big secret lol, but I'd really like to have an idea where to start before I tear the dash out of my truck if it isn't necessary, especially since it's freezing now and the ground is covered in snow, so I don't even know when I'm going to even get the opportunity to have at it as it is. Plus, I'd hate to disassemble my dash if the fix is as simple as clearing the drain holes in the bottom of the door or something.

Sorry for the long winded post, but searching google up and down and coming up empty handed, even on my AllData account which I now feel like a sucker for paying for, has gotten me very frustrated

Thanks in advance for any help you good folks can provide!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

No tsb after some looking, but i found this
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...9-reg-cab.html

and mention of cracking body sealer on the roof at another site. Prob not much help but i looked, for a min..
Old 01-18-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've encountered water at the back of my headliner before, from the 3rd brake light no doubt, but I have yet to have anything in the floorboard .
Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by skolman91
No tsb after some looking, but i found this
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...9-reg-cab.html

and mention of cracking body sealer on the roof at another site. Prob not much help but i looked, for a min..
Thanks brother, but I've been to that movie already...I had 3 plastic factory sliding rear windows replaced due to cracking and leaking before they finally installed an aftermarket CL Lawrence metal framed sliding rear window. I did have a small leak in the bottom left corner of that a few years ago, but I shot some black Toyota FIPG (like RTV) in there and it's been good ever since.

Originally Posted by Dewey
I've encountered water at the back of my headliner before, from the 3rd brake light no doubt, but I have yet to have anything in the floorboard
Yea, I've seen that leak before, my buddy's 02 had a leak there (IIRC he had a satellite radio antenna routed through there). My leak is definitely in the right front as it gets soaked on the r/f floor when it rains or I go through a car wash. It's dry everywhere else. The AC drain is working fine BTW, and it still leaks even with the AC off, so it's not a clogged AC drain issue.

Hopefully someone has access to this TSB and can post it up
Old 01-19-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe it's the windshield uncle bud.. Me & my buddy had to pressurize a cab to see where the leak was coming from.. Soapy water in a spray bottle works wonders.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

BudHayes.....here you go sir!

Document ID: 631744
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#99-08-64-013: Water Leaks Into Passenger Compartment (Install Frt Side Dr Water Shield) - (Jul 28, 1999)

Subject: Water Leaking Into Passenger Compartment (Install Front Side Door Lower Water Shield)

Models: 1999 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Models (Silverado and Sierra)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some owners may comment on wet carpet or water leaking into the passenger compartment near the lower opening of either front door.

Correction
A lower water shield has been developed to correct this condition. Install the lower water shield on affected vehicles. Use the following procedure and part number listed below.

Remove the door trim panel and partially remove the primary door water deflector. Refer to the Doors subsection of the Service Manual.

Remove the auxiliary water deflector from the door inner panel and discard.

Install the lower water shield, P/N 15751725, to the door trim panel.
Install the primary water deflector and the door trim panel. Refer to the Doors subsection of the Service Manual.
Repeat the above steps for the other door.
Parts Information
P/N
Description
Qty

Shield, Frt. S/D Lower Water

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Notorious BIG

Of course, my main man Torque Wrench comes through!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

I thought he said his truck was still leaking even when not in use, wouldnt that rule out that tsb..??
Old 01-20-2011, 08:14 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Torque Wrench
BudHayes.....here you go sir!

Document ID: 631744
Thank You sir Torque Wrench, I was hoping that you'd see this thread...I almost sent you a PM as I knew that you'd have the info that I'm looking for, and would be more than happy to share it If it's just a matter of pulling the door panels, then I'm stoked!

Originally Posted by skolman91
I thought he said his truck was still leaking even when not in use, wouldnt that rule out that tsb..??
I think that the water leaks in through the doors even at rest, if I'm following the TSB correctly...we'll see. Gonna have to order some parts and find out
Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

LOL @ Holt and Budhayes...no problem gentlemen! I try to please.

Quick Reply: Need Help Finding a TSB...