Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Need Help Finding a TSB...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
LOL @ Holt and Budhayes...no problem gentlemen! I try to please.
You are the man TW Hey, any chance that you know if those parts are still available, and how much they cost? I typed that PN into GMPartsdirect.com's search bar, and it yielded 0 results I haven't called my local dealer yet, figured that I'd ask you first

Thanks as always brother!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
You are the man TW Hey, any chance that you know if those parts are still available, and how much they cost? I typed that PN into GMPartsdirect.com's search bar, and it yielded 0 results I haven't called my local dealer yet, figured that I'd ask you first

Thanks as always brother!
BudHayes, call me or pm me wiht your VIN and I will obtain them for you.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:26 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

BudHayes, call me or pm me wiht your VIN and I will obtain them for you.
Hey TW, sorry that I missed your reply somehow, life has been a little crazy. I got the deflectors from the local dealership, going to go install them now. I was able to diagnose that the water is entering through the passenger side door, so hopefully that's the only leak. I'll keep everybody updated on how I make out
Old 03-09-2011, 03:36 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

All done, piece of cake It took longer to take the pics than it did to do the repair. I took pics as I went along for the few guys with 99's who may be experiencing this problem, as the TSB that Torque Wrench posted only lists 99's as being affected.

Here's what it looks like on my passenger side floor, pretty sad Gonna have to get some POR-15 on that...

All you need to do this is a 7mm socket and pocket screwdriver

Here are the deflectors, PN 21996162. My parts guy had a hell of a time when I gave him the part number from the TSB, as it superseded numerous times. They're just thin plastic

Remove the door panel, and the deflectors just pop right on...Before:

After:

The deflectors hang below the bottom of the door panel

The adhesive from the factory water barriers was no longer adhering, so I just put a strip of clear packing tape across the bottoms for some added insurance...

Old 03-09-2011, 03:53 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Here's what they look like with the door panels back on...looks OK on my truck since it's black, but if I had a white truck, I'd probably want to paint them, but that's just me. You don't see them with the door closed anyway...

I was also having a problem with the L/S door check making a horrible creak/squeak when opening and closing the door...wouldn't you know it, there's a TSB in reference to this too, which also only applies to 99's (gotta love first year new models). New L/F door check PN: 15173407

When I unbolted the old door check from the body, it just flopped downward. Upon removal, it was easy to see that the old design used a bushing which wore out and became dislodged. The old and new are completely different from each other. The tip of the screwdriver is right on the bushing...

New check installed:

Finishing touch, after cleaning door panels with Simple Green...I like how the California Dash Duster leaves a nice mild sheen behind, without any sticky slime that just collects dust. I use this thing all the time as regular interior appearance maintenance

I still have another TSB to perform on my truck, which involves removing the driver's seat, and installing new bolts with adhesive, to remedy my driver's seat rocking back and forth when accelerating and braking. I'll try to take pics as I go along when I do that one too

Last edited by budhayes3; 03-09-2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: added part number for door check
Old 03-09-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

wow that was it, those little stupid plastic things at the bottom of the door..? Those **** me off everytime i take my door panel off and go to set it on the ground..
Old 03-09-2011, 04:59 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by skolman91
wow that was it, those little stupid plastic things at the bottom of the door..? Those **** me off everytime i take my door panel off and go to set it on the ground..
Yea...I had no idea that 00+ came with them stock
Old 03-09-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Bill.....Great Write-up W/Pictures!!!.........BTW hope all is Well with you and Little Angel....
Old 03-10-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Quality write up BudHayes! You gotta love the ol' door check huh? lol...
Old 03-10-2011, 02:09 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by MADS99
Bill.....Great Write-up W/Pictures!!!.........BTW hope all is Well with you and Little Angel....
Thanks Mike! Rosie's doing great, I have her this week/weekend so I'm a happy camper right now Can't wait to pick her up from day care in a few hours.

Quality write up BudHayes! You gotta love the ol' door check huh? lol...
Thanks TW...only the guys with 99's will benefit from this, but if one guy gets some info that they need it was worth it.

LOL at the original door check! What a piece of junk. I plan to replace the passenger side too, when I get more scratch. My driver's side speaker is blown (6.5 Rockford Fosgate), so I figure that I'll do the other check when I do the speakers. I'm glad that these door panels come off in less than 5 minutes lol!

Quick Reply: Need Help Finding a TSB...