GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Need help guys! LQ9 maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 11:38 PM
KB
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help guys! LQ9 maybe??

After checking out some places looking for a good 6.0l I decided to contact some e-bay sellers that a few of you on the board said you bought your LQ9/LQ4 motors from. In one e-mail I sent I told them I was "preferably looking for a low mileaged and complete LQ9 for around $1000". I got a response a few minutes ago from the seller saying he has one in stock that fits what I'm looking for and he's asking $699 for it.

Now call me a skeptic but even $1000 to me sounded like I was low-balling (not on purpose) horribly. But $699 for an LQ9? That just sounds too good to be true!

Anyway I need help responding to this guy. What kind of questions do I ask about the motor so I don't get scammed or ripped off?

Last edited by KB; 07-16-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

ask him the vin number that the engine was taken out of.........but your right that sounds CRAZY low for a lq9
Old 07-16-2006, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

I would get the numbers off the block and heads, allot of pice and detaial of what it came out of. It sounds way to low for a good lq9 also try to find out why it's so low without asking directly. Last time I asked directly the guy jacked the price up because he didn't know what it was worth till I told him what that particular engine went for.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the heads are off. Ask what the piston looks like. Doubt its complete for $1000 if its a Q9.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:34 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed....I got a great deal on mine at it was $1800. Make sure to get pics, and make sure it's a complete running longblock.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:47 PM
KB
13 Second Truck Club

lol, alright so I called this guy up.

He has no idea what it came out of, it's a shortlbock w/ one assembled 317 head and he does not know how many miles are on it, he just said "I know it has less than 20k miles". I asked if he could take a look at the pistons for me to see if I could identify whether it was an LQ9 or LQ4 shortblock and he said there was a slight dish in the pistons so I'm assuming it's an LQ4 shortblock. Doesn't really sound to great of deal for $699 eh? He said if I want it he will get another assembled head and timing cover.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KB
lol, alright so I called this guy up.

He has no idea what it came out of, it's a shortlbock w/ one assembled 317 head and he does not know how many miles are on it, he just said "I know it has less than 20k miles". I asked if he could take a look at the pistons for me to see if I could identify whether it was an LQ9 or LQ4 shortblock and he said there was a slight dish in the pistons so I'm assuming it's an LQ4 shortblock. Doesn't really sound to great of deal for $699 eh? He said if I want it he will get another assembled head and timing cover.
Id make dam sure it doesnt need rebuilt. Unless you want to deal with that.

Dish=LQ4
Old 07-17-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

The basic only difference between a LQ4 & LQ9 is a set of rods and pistons. From what you guys are paying extra for rods and pistons you could get an LQ4, put LQ9/LS2 rods in it and some forged pistons and still have several hundred $$ left over. Am I crazy here or is there some other reason these LQ9's are worth gold???
Old 07-17-2006, 02:55 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjhoward
The basic only difference between a LQ4 & LQ9 is a set of rods and pistons. From what you guys are paying extra for rods and pistons you could get an LQ4, put LQ9/LS2 rods in it and some forged pistons and still have several hundred $$ left over. Am I crazy here or is there some other reason these LQ9's are worth gold???
LQ4 + rods and pistons + cylinder wall hone + balancing rotating assy + new piston rings + rod bearings + main bearings....I priced out a rebuilt LQ4 before I bought my LQ9 and to do it right was gonna be way more expensive than just getting a good LQ9
Old 07-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
LQ4 + rods and pistons + cylinder wall hone + balancing rotating assy + new piston rings + rod bearings + main bearings....I priced out a rebuilt LQ4 before I bought my LQ9 and to do it right was gonna be way more expensive than just getting a good LQ9
If the bearings are new/slightly used reuse the bearings hone job=50-100bucks
Most people are just scared of building the motor theirself. LQ9/LS2 rods=100bucks all day long IMO if the motor isnt going to be spun to 7K dont balance the rods or pistons. Forged pistons will already be balanced and factory rods as long as they are from the same "batch" should all be within spec. If/when I do another motor it will be a semilow mileage LQ4 shortblock worked over with LQ9 rods and forged psitons and build it myself. Ill have a forged motor with whatever CR I want for about 1400 and where an LQ9 buyer will be close to 2K and have hypertectic(sp?) pistons.

Quick Reply: Need help guys! LQ9 maybe??