Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Need help guys! LQ9 maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:19 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh so now this info comes out....I had multiple threads about this when I was buying my engine and everyone told me it was cheaper to buy a complete engine and stick it in than to tear down and rebuild another one with new parts

I was all prepared to go too.....booooooo....

oh well, I can't complain too much.....
Old 07-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Oh so now this info comes out....I had multiple threads about this when I was buying my engine and everyone told me it was cheaper to buy a complete engine and stick it in than to tear down and rebuild another one with new parts

I was all prepared to go too.....booooooo....

oh well, I can't complain too much.....
Thought you didnt want to build the engine yourself In order to do it right while require a dial bor gauge and a good set of calipers to check bearing tolerances which will run you about 300 for some good ones. I forgot to add you will need rings which may or may not come with the pistons depending upon what brand you by. JE doesnt supply them with their pistons btw

FYI most of the people that were syaing it would be too expensive to build your engine are most likely the ones that pay for a cam install
Old 07-17-2006, 07:34 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
FYI most of the people that were syaing it would be too expensive to build your engine are most likely the ones that pay for a cam install
I'm sure there is some truth to that....

I was willing to build it myself if it was going to be for a decent price. I didn't have tons of $$ to throw at it since I was doing the new tranny and the s/c overhaul at the same time. Oh well, live and learn. If I ever do a different motor in the truck I will build it myself.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was putting a completely different set of rods and pistons on a crank(as in one's that don't weigh the same) I would have the rotating assembly balanced for sure in a performance engine. Cody is right on the bearings. If they look good and especially are on the same crank and same journals I wouldn't worry about new ones. Actually with rings. If it was a low mileage engine then a quick hone with a dingle berry hone to knock the glaze off and reinstall them. The factory rings are cast so on the other hand I would replace them.
FYI-The bearings in my turbo engine are out of 2 different used engines. One with 80k miles and the other with 20k. They are mix and matched and I spec'd them with a dial bore guage and micrometers and set up my oil tolerances occordingly. The oil pump is a stock used one. And the heads all I did was port them and put new springs on them.
I understand if you can't do the work yourself. That is why so many people "overkill", because they are affraid of the unknown.