Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Need help, I am a dumbass

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, I am a dumbass

Alright, so I discovered that I didnt know what I thought I knew. I have a 97 Tahoe with the 5.7L, and I just changed the head gaskets..... long story short, I screwed with the distrubutor and now the timing is all fucked. *I BELIEVE* that I have the engine at TDC, but I dont see where the "8" pointer lines up with the "rotor segment" as indicated in the Haynes manual that I have. I really need to get this truck running as I am going to be moving soon.......

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

David
Old 10-08-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

2 things...First have an assistant crank the engine while you have your finger over #1 spark plug hole, when it blows your finger out you're coming up on #1...align the balancer mark with the 0 on the cover. Then follow the plug wire for #1 back to the distributor, with the cap on make a mark on the distributor body with a marker. Take the cap off and that is exactly where your rotor button should point to. When you drop the distributor in it may not go all the way down, don't worry, just as long as the rotor is pointing to the mark on the distributor body. If the distributor is not all the way down, bump the key and it will align with the oil pump and drop in. You're almost home...snug the hold down a little and put the cap on...you didn't forget to unplug the timing connector under the plastic cover on the passenger side did you? You have to do that to set the timing. Hope I didn't forget anything here, but this should get you up and running. Later

Dave
Old 10-08-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

I suck with word description... got any graphics I can look at? Sorry, I am just that retarded with this.... I guess I got "spoiled" with the Opti on my camaro... if there is anything good about an opti.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Just so you know what I dont understand.. here we go

Originally Posted by Bowtie70SS
align the balancer mark with the 0 on the cover.
Where do I find the 0?

Then follow the plug wire for #1 back to the distributor, with the cap on make a mark on the distributor body with a marker. Take the cap off and that is exactly where your rotor button should point to. When you drop the distributor in it may not go all the way down, don't worry, just as long as the rotor is pointing to the mark on the distributor body. If the distributor is not all the way down, bump the key and it will align with the oil pump and drop in. .
Would this equate to where the "8" pointer is on the base?

You're almost home...snug the hold down a little and put the cap on...you didn't forget to unplug the timing connector under the plastic cover on the passenger side did you? You have to do that to set the timing. Hope I didn't forget anything here, but this should get you up and running. Later

Dave
The timing connecter is under what plastic cover on the passenger side?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

I'll PM you my phone #. Give me a call tomorrow and I'll try and explain it better. This should be covered in the Haynes manual though. If memory serves the timing mark on the timing cover is marked 0 (biggest mark) and in 2 degree increments thereafter and before. The timing connector I was talking about may actually be on the coil. I know there is some connector you have to unplug to disable the timing advance so you can set the inital timing (usually set at 0).

Dave
Old 10-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Need More N2O Mod

I'll PM you my phone #. Give me a call tomorrow and I'll try and explain it better. This should be covered in the Haynes manual though. If memory serves the timing mark on the timing cover is marked 0 (biggest mark) and in 2 degree increments thereafter and before. The timing connector I was talking about may actually be on the coil. I know there is some connector you have to unplug to disable the timing advance so you can set the inital timing (usually set at 0).

Dave
the connector used to be under the passenger side dash just abover where the carpet ends
Old 10-11-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Got it running, but it still runs a little rough... that and the SES light is on. I rechecked the Haynes manual, and it says nothing of a connector on the passengers side to disconnect. Am I stuck with the only option of pulling the distributor off and moving it over a tooth?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

unfortunately you are most likely off a tooth.... i know it sucks... but youve gotta be dead on or your computer will have a **** fit. its actually not that bad taking that in and out.....

I have a 98 k1500 lifted 6" suspension, and 3" body, on 37 " tires....

and it has a magnacharger on it... so its a bitch to get to taht distributor.....

Now taht you have read that you should feel a little better about your situation.... now go move taht thing until its right....

the zero on the balancer is the little line on it
Old 10-11-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

You need a scan tool on that thing to check cmp. timing in the data list. 5 degrees off and it sets a light, but if it runs rough , your base timing is off.There is no connector for timing under the dash of a 97. that would be a older throttle body motor. If you want some live phone help, 912 554 4888 8 to 4 2morrow.